Skyscraper City Forum banner
3901 - 3920 of 3922 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
I contributed to a consultation on the public realm etc in Langside and Battlefield and they admitted that they had already consulted in 2019. I'm not sure if the self awareness makes me feel better.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Online talk/presentation about the Sauchiehall Precinct and Underline Phase 1 avenues next tuesday evening

Date and time
Tue, 30 November 2021
19:00 – 20:30 GMT

About this event
Changes are being made to the pedestrianised precinct of Sauchiehall Street from Rose Street to Buchanan Street, and along Cambridge Street. The work will link with recent changes to Sauchiehall Street west of Rose Street as part of the Glasgow Avenues Programme.
The proposed changes focus on protecting and prioritising space for active travel, improving connectivity, introducing sustainable green infrastructure and improving the way public transport is accommodated.
This online event will explain the proposals and give you an opportunity to ask questions. The event is likely to be held on Microsoft Teams. Once you have registered, joining details will be emailed to you nearer the time.
To find out more about the Glasgow Avenues Programme and view the proposals, visit: www.glasgow.gov.uk/avenues

·
Registered
5,420 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
can anyone really, truly bring themselves to believe that this time next year there'll be 5 separate avenues (plus byres rd!) under construction? GCC have hurt me before and i'm just not willing to let them again, so im remaining dubious until there are guys on site for each of them

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
they dont take any more space than the phone boxes they are replacing. you could argue there is no need for either but the counter argument is that there needs to be an emergency way of getting help if you find yourself stuck/in trouble/whatever without your phone

·
Registered
235 Posts
You could have a phone / charging device on a smaller pedestal type setup, if they're so necessary, taking up a quarter of the width of this thing. Or incorporated into the design of street benches even.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
the advertising will cover the cost of running them, it's not enough to be a worthwhile revenue raiser for BT. I'm sure they would be absolutely fkn delighted if they could remove the phone boxes, tarmac over the holes, and walk away and never need to think about providing publicly accessible phone calls ever again.

but when mobiles took off and phone box use declined they didn't feel/weren't really allowed to remove them all and had to leave some in busy areas for emergency use. Now they are removing them and replacing them with these. If you mean GCC or someone should supply some publicly owned and maintained network of emergency phones then i'm pretty sure BT would happily agree, but good luck getting the council to

·
Free Cake
3,236 Posts
I entirely understand the logic behind their existence. Still need emergency phones, need some kind of revenue stream to fund it.

I still f*cking despise them. They look like tech from some heavy handed 90s sci-fi film.

Also I'll see them a couple years down the line covered in graffiti and cracks and stickers and I'll laugh at it.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
they aren;t great but there are 3 piss-soaked, graffiti-covered phone boxes along from my flat and im counting down the days until they are replaced by one of these. It'll look a million times better

·
Registered
235 Posts
the advertising will cover the cost of running them, it's not enough to be a worthwhile revenue raiser for BT. I'm sure they would be absolutely fkn delighted if they could remove the phone boxes, tarmac over the holes, and walk away and never need to think about providing publicly accessible phone calls ever again.

but when mobiles took off and phone box use declined they didn't feel/weren't really allowed to remove them all and had to leave some in busy areas for emergency use. Now they are removing them and replacing them with these. If you mean GCC or someone should supply some publicly owned and maintained network of emergency phones then i'm pretty sure BT would happily agree, but good luck getting the council to
Yep I get that the advert is covering the cost. It's also that the advert (and the mix of the revenue stream and public positioning of BT as a brand) is more a driver of its existence than some sense of public good in providing phones and chargers.

The street bench idea is just pointing out that if the public good was the key driver, they would not be in anything like this form. There are simpler solutions, but now we're left with opaque barriers on many streets.

I personally don't really think there's any need for public phones any more. These strike me as an imposition, capitalising on some sort of presumed nostalgia for the availability of phone boxes.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I suspect their emergency phone use is next to minimal and it has just become an arm of BT's CSR budget that a business that massive is quite happy with.

It's a bad obligation/policy so change it. If there has to be some of these sorts of things then obligate BT and Bus shelter providers to incorporate them into a few bus stops. People might actually work out what they are if they had to stand next to one.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I suspect their emergency phone use is next to minimal and it has just become an arm of BT's CSR budget that a business that massive is quite happy with.

It's a bad obligation/policy so change it. If there has to be some of these sorts of things then obligate BT and Bus shelter providers to incorporate them into a few bus stops. People might actually work out what they are if they had to stand next to one.
That actually makes a lot of sense, the idea of standing in the middle of Sauchiehall street charging my phone is something I can never imagine doing, but if it was at a bus stop, where I could be stood waiting anyway... that makes sense!

I don't have strong feelings about them, I think they are fine, take up less room than a piss soaked phone box, require less maintenance and provide a public service (of sorts) don't they function as wifi hot spots?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Just back a walk along sauchiehall street and there were some guys replacing broken/damaged paving stones on the northern side pavement. Which was nice to see as there were a few patches on that side of the road that were in a bad shape

Had a look at the new phone thing and meh. However, i did notice there seems to be about 5 of those clear channel electronic advertising boards for every one of the new phones. And, as far as i know, they don't provide any service and are just advertising (i assume they council gets a cut or something). They are every bit as big as the street hubs (i kept thinking they actually were the new hubs until i got close enough) but are totally useless

3901 - 3920 of 3922 Posts