SkyscraperCity Forum banner
3941 - 3960 of 4043 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I like street trees as much as the next person, but this stretch in Bridgeton is a mess. I would remove them and open it up or landscape it more sensitively. Also those metal fences that you can see all around this area are awful. Stick some wooden fences in their place.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I like street trees as much as the next person, but this stretch in Bridgeton is a mess. I would remove them and open it up or landscape it more sensitively. Also those metal fences that you can see all around this area are awful. Stick some wooden fences in their place.

Yes.. when trees become visual or physical barriers in the city they cease to perform as they should. Need selective thinning and crown lifting. A classic visual barrier are the box-clipped trees along the Broomielaw - you might not like the view that is behind, but these dwarf varietals won't grow much taller than they are just now. We're not the Champs-Élysées either. I think had this been done today - they would be full size like in Sauchiehal Street (has the dead specimen been replaced?) with a mix of varietals for resilience and to avoid diseases affecting the same species which could wipe out whole streets.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I don't think we need more bins because then the space is all about the bins. What we need is for the bins that are there to be emptied more than once a day. The council said it empties them once, but that's not enough for the city's main square.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What about something like this?

·
Banned
18 Posts
Having the bins locked by default is a good idea - they have this for the communal food recycling bins in Aberdeen which prevents the problem here - my local communal food recycling bins are always full of non-food rubbish because people here ... well, don't get me started.

·
Thinking pink.
1,569 Posts

These were put in Edinburgh's Grassmarket years ago. They seem to have spent a lot of their lives taped top and unused. They probably didn't have the 'smart' part though.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
reading council docs while i eat my lunch cause i know how to live and there was this update about the car-free city centre zone that was mentioned during COP

Following a question in relation the introduction of a car free
zone in Glasgow City Centre, the committee instructed officers
to report back to the next meeting with details of the proposed
introduction of the new car free zone in Glasgow City Centre,
particularly in relation to the timescales and its impact.
The Executive Director of Neighbourhoods, Regeneration
Sustainability proposes to submit to the Environment,
Sustainability and Carbon Reduction City Committee on 15th
March 2022 a report on the City Centre Transformation Plan
update and although the “car free” element will not be a separate
paper it will be an integral part of the City Centre Transformation
Plan CCTP.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

In the centre of Amsterdam, you don't get these so much. Household recycling goes into some bins like these, but you typically have to walk a couple streets over to find them. Household waste is put on the street in plastic bags on the day of collection. Centrum has the legacy aspect of really old buildings and not much space to dig down into, or much space for the lorry with the crane. In the parts of the city they exist though: I agree that they're great.

Lots of city centre bins for pedestrians are just regular street level bins.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
the wording makes it sound like nowhere in glasgow is actually liveable just now

DESIGNS for Glasgow’s first Liveable Neighbourhoods are beginning to emerge following initial feedback from two communities in the north and south of the city.

Based on the 20-minute neighbourhood concept that’s becoming increasingly popular in cities around the world, the council’s Liveable Neighbourhoods plan is seeking to ensure residents all across Glasgow can access key services in their local area within 20 minutes by active travel or public transport.

The ultimate aim is to reduce the number of vehicle journeys in the city as part of the wider effort to tackle the carbon emissions that fuel climate change.

Initial consultation with residents for Liveable Neighbourhoods in Ruchill to Cowlairs and Langside to Toryglen has led to a wide range of proposals that would adjust the lay-out of local streets to make them more attractive places to spend time and encourage higher levels of walking, wheeling and cycling.

3941 - 3960 of 4043 Posts