SkyscraperCity Forum banner
3981 - 4000 of 4088 Posts

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
has there been any more info on the proposed car free zone in central glasgow since it was initially announced during COP? Paris just announced plans for this car free zone and will implement it during 2024. 2 years!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nope, just hints that it would be implemented bit by bit with a target date of full implementation by 2027. Don't have the source of that to hand. Think it was possibly part of a statement to council by Susan Aitken.

·
Free Cake
3,339 Posts
I know, seems massive.... My only thought is maybe this is for all the design work to be done within this part of the city centre? I.e., concept design, modelling, consultation for the car free zone, avenues and George Square in one go?

Said it before and I'll say it again... We need to get design and project management professionals back into Councils and do more of this stuff in-house.

Also if the funding grants require constant never-ending rounds of consultation then that needs changed too from the top, with focus on quality and efficient delivery instead.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know, seems massive.... My only thought is maybe this is for all the design work to be done within this part of the city centre? I.e., concept design, modelling, consultation for the car free zone, avenues and George Square in one go?

Said it before and I'll say it again... We need to get design and project management professionals back into Councils and do more of this stuff in-house.

Also if the funding grants require constant never-ending rounds of consultation then that needs changed too from the top, with focus on quality and efficient delivery instead.
From what I gather, this is what the money is being used to generate. Would that include the things you mentioned ?

·
Registered
6,245 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
That's seems very expensive but there you go.

I don't think Council's can achieve this. The issue for me is that council areas are too wee - it was probably justifiable at regional level to have levels of expertise and I know several people who could do these things who left to the private sector. Equally another issue is public sector pay restraint - why work for a council when commercial sector will pay you more and you won't have political parties and other bodies whining about 'fat cat salaries'.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
Avenues Plus rumbles on. It's funded by sustrans and not the city deal so it's not part of the main avenues project.

Lead Designer appointed for Avenues Plus project in Glasgow

The Avenues Plus project is a £21.4million Sustrans-funded project under the Places for Everyone programme. The project will add to the Glasgow City Region City Deal-funded Avenues programme in the city centre to link with neighbouring communities, promoting active travel and increasing connectivity.

Lead design contract for Avenues Plus awarded

Ironside Farrar Limited has been recently appointed as the Lead Designer to work across the four locations on this project:

• Duke Street (High St - Bellgrove St) and John Knox Street (Castle St - Duke St)

• Dobbie's Loan (North Hanover St - Canal St)

• South Portland Street (Carlton Pl - Norfolk St)

• Cowcaddens Road (Cambridge St - North Hanover St)

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I've got to say that the John Knox St. to Castle St. is a strange one? It won't join up with anything at the top of JK street and they'd better be looking to make that junction where it meets High Street super cycle / pedestrian friendly. But where d'you go after that? Into Strathclyde's campus?
The Sauchiehal Av was designed inhouse at GCC so far as I remember - I wonder what differences we might end up seeing?

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
the city centre transformation plan from the other week shows an wee stretch of segregated cycle lanes connecting it to the end of the cathedral street avenue

View attachment 2890182
Not sure if I'm entirely convinced by this. I'd been badgering the consultation team over this and maybe they've added a bit extra. All of the avenues maps show this as a disconnected leg out on its own.
It still seems strange to have dedicated cycle infrastructure here at one of the busiest and most dangerous intersections in the city and not in tow with down the High Street or further along Castle Street - don't get me wrong I'm all for it because of that very reason. Just an odd way to do things. I'll be interested to see what the solutions at the junctions are when they're brought forward.
Presumably the purple dotted line is secondary route (ie not segregated with infrastructure - painted line/orca/zebra/wand?).

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
It's not shown as part of the avenues, just part of the general city centre cycle network (of which the avenues are the major part). The waterloo st cycle lane, city centre bit of the SCW, and the new Pitt St lane are also shown and they aren't avenues either

It's on page 24

3981 - 4000 of 4088 Posts