SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4021 - 4040 of 4090 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Difficult though unless you catch them in the act and they usually work at night.

I had a couple of guys tag everything in sight one night beside me. The security guard in the student flats across the road was too busy watching Netflix to care. The police were very keen to try and track them down but my CCTV footage was never going to be good enough to identify them (and be used in court for that matter) due to the fact it was night and they had hoods up.
you would think with a prominent and likely target the police could setup there own CCTV unit and catch them in the act.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
The Head of Pavement Clutter at gcc just had a heart attack

Footway de-cluttering and schools entrance improvements

In order to start making improvements as soon as possible, from March 2022 we will be undertaking the removal of footway clutter such as bollards, railings, vegetation and some signs. This has been informed by our previous engagement and input from the Access Panel and Living Streets.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I think it's a sign of how important public realm has become that this thread has so many posts.

Anyhoo, what do you think of this public realm in London?

Nicely executed but given that most of the avenues are up for value engineering (from quite a basic provision of quality and spaces) then I suspect this kind of standard may well be out of reach. All will be revealed when the new tenders come back.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Public realm works at North Canal Bank St. look to be complete and it looks alright. It is obviously enabling works and staging for whatever is to come to Dundashill and its masterplan. If you've had cause to head up there without a car ( I think most folk using the water sports facility are in cars) you cannot fail to see how psychologically severed it is from the city - by the motorway of course but also by this pretty horrible triangle of industrial units which has a kind of residual '70's decline' feel to it. I know that it probably supports a fair few jobs but spatially it is impoverished and oozes entropy and neglect. The walking route to Dundashill needs a serious re-think too, though I've not seen any plans for upgrading or making things more pleasant to get there. It is well outwith the masterplan and I wonder if any section 75 money was negotiated to help change things.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
One of the stated aims of the sauchiehall street avenue works was to create wide enough pavements for the bars and cafes to have outside seating, but it's not working with the amount of street clutter. Walk along the non-tree pavement and you'll see what i mean...

Box has seats outside it and there would be plenty of pavement left to pass it ok except at the exact same point there are, fittingly, boxes (electrical i guess) on the pavement that leave hardly any space
Wetherspoons beer garden, again, isn't overly big. But there are a whole cluster of sign poles on the pavement right at that point that reduce whats left of the space
But the worst is where some new place (Meat is in the name but can't remember exactly) have recently put out seating - immediately after it there is one of those stupid illuminated advertising boards that totally blocks the pedestrians' paths and forces them to turn 90 degrees to get round it

Sauchiehall was meant to be the pilot project so they should use it to see just how much more they can reduce the amount of clutter. Until they do something about it then the more places that open, and the more that have outdoor spaces, the worst it will become

·
Registered
331 Posts
Unfortunately, from seeing the online presentation given by the Avenues design team, Argyle Street Avenue is also going to have an astonishing amount of street clutter retained.

Electricity boxes are one thing, but poles for holding up single pieces of road signage were the biggest stand out to me. They're going to be all down the pavement on both sides.

It was one of the main points raised with the team repeatedly on the Q&A section of the presentation, but they mostly shrugged it off as every little thing being essential. Essential to drivers maybe, not people walking along the pavement.

Victoria Road is also a case in point for excessive street clutter being retained, or even expanded, in the case of the ridiculous flashing cyclist warning signs close to the Butterbiggins Road end.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
The main issue with Sauchiehal Street Avenue was that it was designed by the city's roads department - so, very much governed by the need to be adhere to the letter of the law in respect of roads legislation. Hence all the signage. They ( the roads dept) can be subject to litigation if , for one reason or another, there is dubiety over how the roads and pavements are used and an accident ensues. This is why you get things like guard barriers and such like in all the most inopportune spots and that usually break your desire line for crossing streets. Having said that, I think one of the lessons to be learned about S'hall St is about the dubiety over the shared surface intersections. It is not clear enough to drivers that they need to slow down and give priority to pedestrians. There isn't clear enough signage here ironically, and the sleeping policemen aren't pronounced enough for cars approaching the junction and there isn't enough textural and colour contrast to indicate to drivers that this is the domain of pedestrians.

This is going to be the issue going forward for the rest of the avenues. For reason of risk and probably of cost, they are employing engineers and not designers ( like landscape architects) to implement the works. This is why, for example, we will be getting that bound-gravel provincial look at Argyle St and Glasgow Cross when in fact what we need is a bit gravitas around the Mercat and Tollbooth. There will be little or nothing in terms of an arts strategy for the public realm work - so nothing like this or this. I really fear that with whatever value engineering that needs to be undertaken we'll lose any design flair of any sort. And , of course, Glasgow X will remain treeless due to the proximity of the train tunnel to the pavement level. Though why can't have some semi-mature trees in pots I don't know.

I say bring back Sandy Stoddard's proposal for a set of giant classical figures, one looking west and another looking east on a giant plinth at the gushet of where the Trongate station was. If anyone has an image of it please post it - it was a cracking proposal.

4021 - 4040 of 4090 Posts