SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4041 - 4060 of 4094 Posts

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Having said that, I think one of the lessons to be learned about S'hall St is about the dubiety over the shared surface intersections. It is not clear enough to drivers that they need to slow down and give priority to pedestrians.
There's also a behavioural issue to contend with in that we've had probably around one hundred years of pedestrians giving way to vehicles. So even in these situations where pedestrians have priority, most pedestrians still stop to give way to the vehicles.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does anyone remember this? Whatever happened?

There were plans for turning back lanes all across the city centre into all sorts of active uses.

Obviously we've just gone through a 2 year pandemic. But it's odd that this is never even mentioned anymore. You hear a lot about other strategies and ambitions which were announced pre-Covid, but nothing about renovating lanes into active public realm.

Has this been allowed to quietly die a death?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
There was no real funding behind it. No programme of works to do up lanes. The council just seemed to say "come up with uses for the lanes and you'll find us amenable" but noone really did

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Does anyone remember this? Whatever happened?

There were plans for turning back lanes all across the city centre into all sorts of active uses.

Obviously we've just gone through a 2 year pandemic. But it's odd that this is never even mentioned anymore. You hear a lot about other strategies and ambitions which were announced pre-Covid, but nothing about renovating lanes into active public realm.

Has this been allowed to quietly die a death?

View attachment 3226397
View attachment 3226399
There was a small funding package available for any proposals that met their criteria but priority for the last two years or so has been given to the Spaces for People Scheme. The lanes framework is still an active piece of supplementary guidance.
Most of the serious capital funding is now going to the Avenues and wider cycle network. Lanes will have to wait till later I'm afraid.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Bit of a pipe dream, the lanes idea. If you actually walk the length of them most of them are utilised; deliveries, back entrance of restaurants, bins etc. They are already 'active' and used what they are designed for.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Bit of a pipe dream, the lanes idea. If you actually walk the length of them most of them are utilised; deliveries, back entrance of restaurants, bins etc. They are already 'active' and used what they are designed for.
Not quite. If you read the lanes framework you'll see that there have classified them into a hierarchy of lanes some of which have more potential than others to become public places rather than semi-public service zones. Quite a nice wee doc and worth a read.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
The unanswered question... where will they put all the smoking chefs?
Quite.

Back in my days in Edinburgh , I used to walk past a pizza shop in Causewayside whose chef perched on the shopfront sill smoking rollies with brown nicotine-stained indices. He had what looked like an inverted crucifix tattooed on his forehead using what looked like biro ink and needle from a sewing box. Really nice guy, proper Edinbra gadgie, great pizzas. Bizarre...

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Used to see the Ho Wong chefs smoking down the lane off Robertson Street.

The Radisson staff unfortunately smoked at the service entrance on Robertson Street too, and while away from the main Argyle Street entrance it still wasn't a good look for the hotel.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Is anything ever going to happen with this cursed little junction? It's turbo depressing.

View attachment 3120174
I'm guessing it's in the ownership of SPT. It is such a narrow strip that I can't imagine anything happening any time soon. Not unless they decide to develop the air rights over the station. If it is owned someone else - wo knows- it might become a valuable spite strip holding other development to ransom. I don't think we're anywhere near that though.
It's unclear , I think, just what the potential effects of the disaggregation of the Buchanan Galleries will have on the adjacent sites. Hopefully good, but the bus station has resisted any form of new development in good times and bad. Demand is still clearly an issue.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Avenues Plus (which is sustrans funded and not to be confused with the main city deal avenues) event at South Portland Street on Thursday

An event on South Portland Street this Thursday (26 May) will offer local people, businesses and organisations the chance to find out more about the forthcoming Avenues Plus project, which will connect Glasgow city centre and communities on its fringes.

Event showcasing Avenues Plus project to take place at South Portland Street

Avenues Plus is a £21.4million Sustrans-funded project under the Places for Everyone programme. The project will complement and add to the Glasgow City Region City Deal-funded Avenues programme in the city centre to link with neighbouring communities, promoting active travel and increasing connectivity.

Between 10am - 3pm there will be information stalls, workshops, teas and coffees, Dr Bike workshops to give maintenance to bikes, the opportunity to try e-cargo bikes, with hosted information stalls there until 6.30pm providing the opportunity for informal discussion about proposals for the South Portland Street area.

People and organisations attending the event will have the chance to speak to the Avenues and Sustrans teams, as well as the design consultant, about the needs on the area in terms of public space and barriers to active travel. Children from local primary schools will receive Bikeability training from Glasgow City Council's Road Safety team.

Avenues Plus will see the creation of Avenues at:

• Duke Street (High St - Bellgrove St) and John Knox Street (Castle St - Duke St)

• Dobbie's Loan (North Hanover St - Canal St)

• South Portland Street (Carlton Pl - Norfolk St)

• Cowcaddens Road (Cambridge St - North Hanover St)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Avenues Plus (which is sustrans funded and not to be confused with the main city deal avenues) event at South Portland Street on Thursday

Are these avenues already designed ?

Starts in 2024 tbc by 2026. Wits the chances ?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
If anyone makes it along to the South Portland Street avenues plus thing today can you ask the GCC folk for any updates on the city deal avenues that are meant to be starting this year? Argyle street west, sauchiehall street precinct, and holland st/pitt st (the MODA avenue, as i think of that one)

4041 - 4060 of 4094 Posts