SkyscraperCity Forum banner
4061 - 4080 of 4094 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
If anyone makes it along to the South Portland Street avenues plus thing today can you ask the GCC folk for any updates on the city deal avenues that are meant to be starting this year? Argyle street west, sauchiehall street precinct, and holland st/pitt st (the MODA avenue, as i think of that one)
And Byres Road!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The retained facade sadly is the rear of the office block and faces away from the direction that people are coming from to reach it (Central Station) and faces onto the other warehouses.

It's hard to really do much with it focally. Had that facade faced York Street it probably would have been better incorporated into the build.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
Ive been noticing these commercial waste bags more and more lately (meaning ive been noticing them more, not that there are more to notice). It's a good point - the wheelie bins were dealt with but the smaller "put out a few bags for collection" are still a big problem and constitute the majority of the refuse you see lying about the city centre streets

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ive been noticing these commercial waste bags more and more lately (meaning ive been noticing them more, not that there are more to notice). It's a good point - the wheelie bins were dealt with but the smaller "put out a few bags for collection" are still a big problem and constitute the majority of the refuse you see lying about the city centre streets

When the council brought in the change that meant businesses could no longer store the big wheelie bins on public streets (which was the right thing to do as the city was blighted by them) the new rules stated that businesses could only put their rubbish bags out for collection within a one hour window when they were due to be collected. I think at the beginning businesses complied with this but over time have started to just put the bags out at the end of day regardless as there is no enforcement happening.

I partially disagree though that this is the only problem, it is indeed a contributing factor. A huge amount of the rubbish that is blown around the streets comes from overflowing bins. The bins across the city are just not emptied often enough. I was walking down Byres Road at 12pm on Monday and every bin was not just full but overflowing - they obviously hadn't been emptied for at least a day if not longer. There is also a communal recycling bin area on Great George Street that was full to bursting for days which I reported, nothing happened and you could just see the rubbish being blown all over the place. By the time the council do empty them they just leave the rubbish that has been blown out of the bin where it is. You just don't see this in other big cities and for some reason no one seems to give a toss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
it'll be a different team that picks it up once it's blown onto the ground - "that's no us, pal - we're the recycling team and that's street cleaning"
Exactly this. I reported three dumped bin bags to the Council a couple of days ago. Someone obviously has picked up the task and removed them a couple of days later but decided that all of the crap sitting literally a few feet away was someone else's job and left it. Team Black Bin Bag must be completely different from Team Stash Of Empties.

Shit like this makes me sad for the City. Sure, someone can think 'that's not my job' but by not doing anything or even reporting it to some other team, they have accepted that certain parts of the city look like a shithole and they no longer care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I partially disagree though that this is the only problem, it is indeed a contributing factor. A huge amount of the rubbish that is blown around the streets comes from overflowing bins. The bins across the city are just not emptied often enough. I was walking down Byres Road at 12pm on Monday and every bin was not just full but overflowing - they obviously hadn't been emptied for at least a day if not longer. There is also a communal recycling bin area on Great George Street that was full to bursting for days which I reported, nothing happened and you could just see the rubbish being blown all over the place. By the time the council do empty them they just leave the rubbish that has been blown out of the bin where it is. You just don't see this in other big cities and for some reason no one seems to give a toss.
This is a big problem where I am. If the bins aren't going to be emptied regularly then surely more bins need to be available so that excess rubbish isn't just dumped into an overflowing bin and then blown away. Also, the bins need to be locked so that they can't be filled to overflowing. We also have a massive problem with recycling bins with no lids - the wind picks up and cardboard and plastic is blown all over the streets. It doesn't take a genius to work all this out and try and sort it.

Regarding the bags of commercial rubbish - the Council didn't ban the bins, they specified that the bins couldn't be left out indefinitely. Perhaps the businesses need to go back to using smaller bins (so the seagulls can't get inside to rip the bags apart) and stick to their allotted hour for collection. I appreciate it would take more space to store the bins inside but it would make it easier to take them back inside if the collection is cancelled for example. We could also have the name of the business on the side of the bins to help identify bins that are left out on the street.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Living in trendy "finnieston" there are a few real culprits ...esp the Koi grocery store and little canteen , both owned by the same person. Rubbish is left out all day long including the pallets the Koi delivery turns up on....down at little canteen they have a red wheelie bin out all day ....right next to where Derby Lane and Mora ( sadly now closed) had their outdoor seating . I emailed Eve Bolander as she is my councillor..... nothing done.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Sorry Steppish
Holland Street / Pitt Street - …..Construction is anticipated to commence in April 2023.

Sauchiehall Street Precinct – ….. Construction is anticipated to commence in August 2023

Argyle Street West / The Underline Phase 1 (Cambridge Street) – …. Tender will be published in 2023….Possibility to remove Cambridge Street from this FBC and deliver as part of the Sauchiehall Street contract are being explored.

Underline Phase 2 (New City Road) is depended on the emergency repair works to the M8 viaduct. Transport Scotland has indicated that timescales for completion will be up to 4 years…Therefore, a revised FBC approval date of early 2027 should be expected.
Byres Road delayed yet again.
… Phase 1 works FBC is expected to be submitted for CEG approval in August 2022 subject to resolution of issues associated with outstanding objection to TRO. …Market conditions could also impact programme.
Committee Information - View Committee Document

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
sack everyone

the connecting woodside cycle lanes were also being talked of as being delayed until the M8 repairs were finished. 4 years will take us to 2026 and sustrans awarded funding in 2016. 10 fkn years to build 3 cycle lanes! well, more than that - 10 years to start building 3 cycle lanes

Underline Phase 2 (New City Road) is depended on the emergency repair works to the M8 viaduct.
Transport Scotland has indicated that timescales for completion will be up to 4 years, and
subsequent design work will be required before the tender can be published. Therefore, a revised
FBC approval date of early 2027 should be expected. Future CCN will capture this change.is
awaited.

·
Registered
6,275 Posts
i get my arse kicked up and down the office (virtually speaking, since im rarely in the office anymore) once my projects start running a couple weeks behind schedule. they seem to add years onto their target dates without blinking

4061 - 4080 of 4094 Posts