SkyscraperCity Forum banner
761 - 780 of 4052 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
One thing I will say is that it certainly doesn't present a "depressing image" of the city. Quite the opposite, I think it shows just how fun-loving the people of Glasgow are and demonstrates that we don't take ourselves too seriously. Without doubt, the cone will remain whether GCC like it or not ;)

·
Registered
775 Posts
The cone is a cultural icon. It must stay! A nice fresh and new one should be bought, they cost about £27 a cone to the last time I saw a price for one. Buy 10 and rotate them, probably cheaper than submitting the planning application to themselves!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Personally I find statues of historic aristocratic politicians very boring and depressing. The cone itself is fantastic for what it represents; a simple poking of fun at authority.

And what do those in power do to try to avoid this embarrassment? Decide to simply move it further out of reach of the people. Says a lot really.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get Wellington to **** and replace him with a statue of a man with a cone for a head. How "modern" would that be. Very modern. Right in front of The Goma as well. A bit of modern art outside the GALLERY OF MODERN ART. I should be in charge.

·
Hipster Scum
5,872 Posts
I'm torn. I appreciate the icon that the cone has become, but at the same time I feel the joke has became stale and now it just looks sort of tacky. I don't think a raised plinth would make a difference though. The cone will find a way.

·
Banned
2,749 Posts
feel same as indiekid. its become stale, was funny at the start.

for me now, it represents what people in glasgow think of their own city. dump litter/chewing gum on the streets and cones on statues.

apathy might be the right word for their feelings.

761 - 780 of 4052 Posts