SkyscraperCity Forum banner
61 - 80 of 4088 Posts

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Chief said:
Mo, you get your hands on some amazing pictures. Could I ask what your day job is? And how you manage to get your hands on all this stuff??? :)
Can't tell you that Chief.. Offishul Secrets Act. ;)

·
6,167 Posts
murdomac said:
chief, m riaz is none other than Ste........aaarrgghh......!!!!!!!!!

(sound of body collapsing over keyboard with dagger embedded between shoulder blades)
Nooooooooo!!!11!1eleven!!1!!

And he was so close to revealing Mo's true identity. Will the fair citizens of Glasvegas ever find out who he really is?..

Fantastic rendering, btw Mo - marvelous find :)

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
For some reason using SketchUp for presentation purposes really bothers me. It's so noticeable when a drawing has been made in the program, and this one is particularly lazy. It screams of not being talented enough to use a proper 3d package.

·
Registered
456 Posts
maccoinnich said:
For some reason using SketchUp for presentation purposes really bothers me. It's so noticeable when a drawing has been made in the program, and this one is particularly lazy. It screams of not being talented enough to use a proper 3d package.
Using a 'proper' 3d package isnt a talent, its a skill. Sketchup has its place. I have been using it extensively for a couple of years now and as a design tool its fantastic. As an interim presentation tool its very good. For finished images its crap. You can though use it to give you something you can take into Photoshop and tinker with to an acceptable degree. Where it differs to other 3d packages is its directness. Its simple and intuitive enough that you can use it to tinker and develop a design whereas with something like ADT or Max you have to think more about the mechanics of what you are drawing or modelling.

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
No, that's what I'm saying; SketchUp is great. For exploring ideas it's fantastic, quick, and easy. But the rendered images are really poor, because its not designed for presentation - no Raytracing here. And I just don't think people should use it for what it's clearly not intended for.

--------------------------------

·
Registered
456 Posts
maccoinnich said:
No, that's what I'm saying; SketchUp is great. For exploring ideas it's fantastic, quick, and easy. But the rendered images are really poor, because its not designed for presentation - no Raytracing here. And I just don't think people should use it for what it's clearly not intended for.
I know, but you *can* use it for presentation images if you use a bit of Photoshop on the output. Raytraced images can be terribly dull and very dead. There is a place for something, well, 'sketchier'. Your usual Max/Viz type image leaves little room for the imagination.

·
smalltown boy
3,433 Posts
Yeah, but photoshop covers a multitude of sins; you can turn AutoCAD drawings into beautiful graphics with enough tinkering.

That we can easily identify SketchUp pictures surely shows that it doesn't really allow a whole of lot of imagination (apart from the colour and transparency of a material, your choices extend as far as, oh, whether there's jitter on the lines, whether the lines extend, and how thick they are).

·
Registered
456 Posts
maccoinnich said:
Yeah, but photoshop covers a multitude of sins; you can turn AutoCAD drawings into beautiful graphics with enough tinkering.

That we can easily identify SketchUp pictures surely shows that it doesn't really allow a whole of lot of imagination (apart from the colour and transparency of a material, your choices extend as far as, oh, whether there's jitter on the lines, whether the lines extend, and how thick they are).
Thats like saying a pencil isnt a presentation tool because it cant produce photorealistic images. In fact Max cant produce usable images without the use of Photoshop in my experience either. It allows imagination because it lets you produce something which is slightly more abstract than the kind of thing that the whole Max scenario tends to drag you towards. For verifiable images for planners its obviously useless, but for something for clients that leaves some room for them to imagine how they might influence a scheme its great.

Dont really want to get into a software advocacy sort of thing because everything has its place. One needs to know when something is or isntr appropriate and i have to say i am often spending time trying to stop people getting into detailed modelling with Sketchup in the office. If nothing else thats a horrible experience and its missing the point. On the other hand though i put Sketchup derived images in front of clients all the time and its very effective if you know how to output and manipulate the output successfully.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would back up the claim to sketch up's greatness. Anyway if you want a raytraced image you can simply import it into max/viz and adjust the materials. Sketchup shouldn't be used for final presentation drawings but more as a tool to quickly tinker, explore and understand a design. I would say sketchup allows for much greater imagination in design as u can instantly see results if you want to try something out rather than having to sit with adt and carefully consider dimensions and material build up.

Anyway with regards to that image I think its just a concept sketch rather than a finished image, a basic outline on what they want achieve. Done in Sketch up rather than pencil and paper.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Kinning park Complex, Glasgow

Building study to redevelop former Victorian School as arts academy. Various options include using existing building, potential extension and new build. The area master plan is underway looking at surrounding environment and other initialtives to connect with a park redevelopment concept. The aim is to form a connecting park with surrounding community projects and buildings. A more integrated design with a new market square, artworks and improved transportation links include redeveloping the underground station and sub-station. Phase one of a building repair program including roof repairs and full window replacement is now complete.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Proposed public realm @ Lancefield & Anderston Quays, Major works to quay walls will take place over the next few years,Lancfield seems to be 1st up in the next few months as it needs to be shored up pretty quickly.

Lots of public sitting areas and sit in cafes are proposed for right along the broomy, its certainly needed to bring folks back to the river front. :)

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
More street Cafes. :)

GCC Minutes are Here

PROPOSAL
Part use of pavement in Buchanan St and McCormick Court as pavement cafe associated with entertainment venue and part use of Springfield Court Lane as outdoor seating area associated with entertainment venue

SITE AND DESCRIPTION Full planning permission is sought for use of the pavement at three sites, as a pavement café associated with an entertainment licence for an established venue. Number 74 Buchanan Street is situated in McCormick Court, off Buchanan Street, and forms the central part of a complex of buildings stretching from Royal Exchange Square to Springfield Lane. The three areas of proposed seating are: (i) McCormick Lane through proposed use of the southern half of the lane for seating; (ii) Buchanan Street, to the front of Rowan House at Number 66, and fronting the area onto McCormick Lane; an area running north to south some 5.5 metres to the west of the Monsoon store in the ground floor of Rowan House; and (iii) Springfield Lane, in the ‘dog-leg’ part of the route. This lane was re-routed following the building of the extension to Prince Square and currently houses the Ted Baker unit.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Minutes for Mansfield park .

SITE ADDRESS Site At Mansfield Street/ Dumbarton Road Glasgow

PROPOSAL Environmental improvements including multi sports pitch, events space, landscaping, play areas, civic square and kiosk building.

THE SITE The application site is an area of landscaped ground to the north of Dumbarton Road in Partick. The site commonly known as Mansefield Park is bounded by Dumbarton Road to the South Mansefield Street to the East, Chancellor Street to the North and Hyndland Street to the West. The southern third of the site has been landscaped with mature trees, banking and paths. The majority of the site is currently occupied by a red blaes pitch which is surrounded by a chain link fence. The northern part of the site is also landscaped with mature trees, hard landscaping and paths. Part of the park is also used to site the Partick Farmers Market which operates on the 2nd and 4th Saturday every month. The site also includes part of the solum of Mansfield Street itself.

THE PROPOSAL The applicants, who are a local community group with trust status and are a registered company, propose to redesign the park area to give it a new identity, make it a more secure place, increased landscaped area and more user friendly. The northern end of the site will have a small area of landscaping to Chancellor Street and some street furniture. There would be a multi use games area which would run east to west across the site. On the eastern edge of the site would be a tree lined path which runs from Chancellor Street to the newly aligned hammer head at the Dumbarton Road end. The main part of the site would have 3 paths running from east to west and a central path which bisects the site. There would be a sandstone wall adjacent to the site which would separate the hard landscaped areas from the soft landscaped areas. On the east side of the wall would be soft landscaped areas which would be predominantly grassed and mounded. On the eastern edge the there would be hard landscaped areas which would include a small play area and a new building which would be 2-storey in height with offices on the upper floor and a café and public toilets on the ground floor. The building will be a glass lightweight structure over a solid ground floor. The southern part of the site would be finished in granite setts and would be used on a part time basis for the Partick Farmers Market. There would also be a clock tower on the south western corner of the site.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
ATA :)

15 metre diameter pink arches cover a once- barren courtyard within an 1980’s development. The new arches formed in single pieces of curved high tensile steel provide the primary structure for a transparent polycarbonate roof covering. The intermediate layer of timber beams supporting the roof covering creates a pergola effect over the courtyard. Inside, the courtyard extends the life of the building into the spring and winter as well as providing shelter on wet days and offers a number of flexible configurations as a venue for concerts, functions and cafe. Pink flourescent tubes which are powder coated to match the arches add a sparkle and vitality to the area and refer to the well- known Barras ‘gateway arches’. A second phase of work is proposed to remove two market units and will open the courtyard onto the road.

61 - 80 of 4088 Posts