SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 4064 Posts

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Dead right SZJ about the scale and configuration of the lanes. This has always been a worry in terms of translating the designs.

Clearing the lanes of dumpsters requires solutions either in terms of refuse uplift or of some kind of storage solution for waste or waste receptacles- no mean feat.
Given how heavily serviced some of the lanes are I don’t think all can be re-occupied it’s about identifying opportunities where the lanes could be re-invented. This requires a fair degree of faith, imagination, not to mention cash on the part of the owners /tenants and council.

Punching through from lane to street again could be limited but it does not mean to say that buildings with blocked up windows / doorways/ forgotten service entrances / old vents could not be re-opened. For example some nice things happening on S’hall lane with Malones but if Watt Bros could be persuaded to look at this https://goo.gl/maps/qaKWy .. You can even see where the original lintels are…- that could become a coffee shop window / bar or whatever. There are loads of opportunities. A bit further we have this, https://goo.gl/maps/d0aGL and this is a problem.

Occupying the lanes around S’hall St could be great but if we get S’hall St right first that will be an enabler for getting the hinterland regenerated.

·
Banned
647 Posts
CB @ 10.46

The lanes will only come into play when the main streets are full up or there is a significant rent differential. Not sure this is the case in many areas of Glasgow away from Byres Road.

Need to sort out the weak areas on Sauchiehall Street before the Lanes take off.
However fair play to the pioneers in that area.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
north court and north court lanes are prime candidates for enlivening, connecting st vincent pl with royal exchange sq and buchanan st. could be shweet, but for the bins, n junk, n stuff
Yep-a couple of cracking spots there Crusty which really ought to be like your 'after' images.
Unfortunately these are spaces which are just outside of the terms of reference of the Sauchiehall project and likely not to get the attention which other places will. A real shame because they've got so much going for them.
It'd be interesting to see how Melbourne coped with the refuse/ dumpster issue- I'll pursue this line of enquiry and get back to you all.

·
Hipster Scum
5,875 Posts
Something interesting planned for Tontine Lane, temporary for now at least:

Coming Soon! - Tontine Lane will be transformed into an animated environment offering a pop up Belgian Beer Cafe Bar, dining & the very best in Scottish street food. Art installations, cinematic projection, music, specialty stalls and cultural performance will also enhance this singularly urban space! Follow us on facebook, twitter & instagram for all Tontine Lane info & announcements!
https://www.facebook.com/TontineLane?fref=photo

The masterminds behind Candleriggs Square, the Fish Plaice and Healthy T at T in the Park are working together on a new collaboration on at Tontine Lane as part of this year's Merchant City festival, which runs from July 25 until August 2.

The market Tontine Lane will offer a Belgian beer cafe bar, speciality Scottish street food, art installations, cinematic projections, music, specialty stalls and cultural performances.

Sub Club owner Ricky Scoular, Electric Frog organiser Brian Traynor and Festival 2014 Food and Drink Manager Hilary Goodfellow have all come together on the project.

Tontine Lane will have a strong emphasis on music with performances from local and internationally renowned DJs as well as a number of live gigs.

The event is supported by Year of Food and Drink funding so will offer the very best in food and drink, using the finest locally sourced ingredients from the Scottish larder.
http://glasgow.stv.tv/articles/1320...erchant-city-festival-on-july-25-to-august-2/

·
Banned
647 Posts
Great idea.
Interesting if they can provide the scale to pull it of.

However there is a but.
And it is a big but.

What is the story with the canoe?
Who found it, where was it found ?!?
Although who lost it might be the better question.

If Burt Reynolds is spotted out looking for it then I suggest you head for the hills.
Duelling banjos might be OK but Squeal piggy piggy squeal is taking things a bit too far.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Love that lane.

Plays a starring role in the film Perfect Sense -here's a couple of screen shots from my DVD. One of the few films alongside Young Adam that I've enjoyed watching Ewan McGregor in (Post Trainspotting of course).

A film makers dream.Glasgow - now , Chicago 1930s , New York , London practically anywhere. Can be cordoned off and the City Council have ample accommodation to let overlooking the courtyard.

·
Free Cake
3,327 Posts
Dead right SZJ about the scale and configuration of the lanes. This has always been a worry in terms of translating the designs.

Clearing the lanes of dumpsters requires solutions either in terms of refuse uplift or of some kind of storage solution for waste or waste receptacles- no mean feat.
Given how heavily serviced some of the lanes are I don’t think all can be re-occupied it’s about identifying opportunities where the lanes could be re-invented. This requires a fair degree of faith, imagination, not to mention cash on the part of the owners /tenants and council.
After looking into it abit (recovering from an operation, nothing else to do but sit around tannin' ibuprofens) it seems the Melbourne strategy to dealing with services in their lanes isn't all that fancy or revolutionary. Most bins are kept inside and only brought out for emptying between 7pm and 7am. They seem to have trialled a scheme for waste compactors at various points in the centre, which would cut down refuse in lanes a bit, but ultimately not that revolutionary. Of course they also engage with residents and businesses to ensure a co-ordinated approach to waste, infrastructure, street-art, etc., which shouldn't be that revolutionary to us.

But yep, don't see us enlivening all of our lanes, Melbourne hasn't managed all of its! But according to its Planning Policy it prioritises them - based on movement, views, active frontages, built heritage - and seeks a general program of improving the ones that can be over the long term.

As for Sauchiehall Street, I don't think we have to wait for it to become the 'Avenue' we want it to be before we work on its lane. It's in a busy and well known enough area that increased lane activity could start sooner rather than later, although probably championed by a few daring entrepeneurs rather than the city council or Sauchiehall BID at this point. But when things like this start picking up the powers that be start taking notice. But would the council allow enterprise in these places in the first place?

Here's an article I found on the Melbourne example, an interview with an architect who was part of an office who were one of the first to start revitalising laneways by opening their own bar. It's all about getting the visionaries to take that first leap! :)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
:applause:Well played SZJ- excellent post. Get well soon.

I don't think it helps here with our deregulation in cleansing services.Multi coloured dumpsters from a half doz or more companies being emptied at all times of the day and evening. The council with have to knock some heads together.

·
Free Cake
3,327 Posts
:applause:Well played SZJ- excellent post. Get well soon.

I don't think it helps here with our deregulation in cleansing services.Multi coloured dumpsters from a half doz or more companies being emptied at all times of the day and evening. The council with have to knock some heads together.
Cheers Roddy!

I forgot all about our deregulated system... that'll need sorting.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Finnieston may be great. For folk visiting, but can you imagine staying in Derby st of example They are nothing but bin sheds these days with the amount of dumpster bins . And distill are happy to have outdoor seating on argyle and Kelvingrove st ....while they stick their bins under the living room/kitchen windows of the people in the next close! They must smell rank , sound like a grump but it drives me nuts!

·
6,147 Posts
Ach Finnieston is wildly overrated. Just a street and a half full of fairly average bars and eateries, give or take the odd gem (not sure if The Sisters is classified as Finnieston these days, but it's an absolute belter).

jim.st, for folk visiting - for those folk who have read a travel review of Glasgow in some shite paper or something (Finnieston - it's the hippest place in Glasgow where blah blah blah fashionable people with wanky moustaches blah blah blah there are over 3 bars worth going to in the area blah blah blah it's basically just 1.5 streets of mediocrity) - I'd be wholly disappointed upon arrival until departure.

·
Use your words
4,861 Posts
I would say that The Park Bar, Ben Nevis and Bon Accord are 3 of the better whisky pubs in Glasgow.
The Big Slope and a few other notables provide better than average pub food, and Cailin's sushi and Crabshak do me nicely for my fish cravings.

·
Registered
940 Posts
We all need a hobbyhorse. Public realm round the Hydro is mine. Well, one of them. Were we not promised a piazza of some sort? Instead we got this. No pavements, no obvious walking route to anywhere. Desert.

·
User
18,859 Posts
i feel like you could pedestrianize and cover that whole area in merchant city paving and it'd still just be a vast, windswept expanse, framed - way off in the distance & incompletely - by irregularly shaped, mostly ugly buildings. 'public realm' as such kinda seems like a secondary problem behind a lack of any enclosure/urbanity whatsoever.....symptomatic of the complete 'failure to plan' along the clydeside, generally

1201 - 1220 of 4064 Posts