SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 4094 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Sauchiehall draft framework has been published here. The quality of the slides is pretty poor with many of them quite difficult to read, hence my screen grabs below aren’t the best either.I’ve E-mailed them to bring it to their attention , so probably worth looking in again soon.

My own photos of the presentation boards from the consultation turned out rubbish too.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I like what I see, and everybody seems to be saying the right things and using the appropriate buzzwords.

But.....how will the abstract ideas be turned into practice?

What are your thoughts Roddy? Have they got the stanes to push it through?

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
I like what I see, and everybody seems to be saying the right things and using the appropriate buzzwords.

But.....how will the abstract ideas be turned into practice?

What are your thoughts Roddy? Have they got the stanes to push it through?
There will be a multitude of council committees and departments who want their say and try to impose their idea of how the area should be developing, not least the Planning department. The council still has to formally adopt the findings.

The long-term idea behind this scheme is that every part of it, practical and desirable is fed into the system: the planning dept., roads and highways, housing etc., etc., etc.
The danger as, as is always the case, that these proposals become diluted, are mis-interpreted or like many a scheme before it are merely grist to the mill of time and lack of funds. That is the harsh reality of it.

An elected Mayor of an expanded Greater Glasgow standing on a ticket of regeneration is the way to go I think. Guys like the present incumbent leader have neither the executive experience nor authority to push an agenda all the way and to stand on their achievements.They can be readily booted out of office if incompetent or not delivering. Time for ScotGov to legislate for one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There will be a multitude of council committees and departments who want their say and try to impose their idea of how the area should be developing, not least the Planning department. The council still has to formally adopt the findings.

The long-term idea behind this scheme is that every part of it, practical and desirable is fed into the system: the planning dept., roads and highways, housing etc., etc., etc.
The danger as, as is always the case, that these proposals become diluted, are mis-interpreted or like many a scheme before it are merely grist to the mill of time and lack of funds. That is the harsh reality of it.

An elected Mayor of an expanded Greater Glasgow standing on a ticket of regeneration is the way to go I think. Guys like the present incumbent leader have neither the executive experience nor authority to push an agenda all the way and to stand on their achievements.They can be readily booted out of office if incompetent or not delivering. Time for ScotGov to legislate for one.

Totally agree with the idea of a City Mayor. I think all of Scotland's cities are crying out for this at the moment. We need 1 person to represent the city and work hard for the city. In London, Boris made greening the streets and creating a more modernised public transport infrastructure (including cycling) his priority. In other countries, like Canada and the US, it's the same story. The Mayor tends to get elected on a promise to clean up and modernise the city. The current structure just enables council leaders to shrug their shoulders and blame everything on the fact that they are really just a local councillor with an inflated title.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I broached the issue of a Greater Glasgow mayor here last year but the general opinion was mixed.

Neighbouring authorities seem to be a bit of an issue - there was general outrage in my local rag the other week when it was suggested that Rutherglen and Cambuslang be merged back into Glasgow - mostly from our former MP. I rather got the impression I was the lone voice of assimilation...

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I broached the issue of a Greater Glasgow mayor here last year but the general opinion was mixed.

Neighbouring authorities seem to be a bit of an issue - there was general outrage in my local rag the other week when it was suggested that Rutherglen and Cambuslang be merged back into Glasgow - mostly from our former MP. I rather got the impression I was the lone voice of assimilation...
Spot on. There are several big issues - lack of powers, the need practically/ideally for a 'city-region' solution and the need for a more visible and accountable figurehead to drive change.

The Manchester style solution on offer to other English cities that seeks to resolve this is to have a regional 'Metro-Mayor' as a condition of devolution of powers and revenue. Someone who can sit above all the individual LA's and knock heads together when necessary - and as people say, it injects greater accountability and visibility.

That is a model that could build on the Glasgow city deal experience of LA's working together and be implemented without changing LA boundaries - so might get other LA's on-side easier - and achieve a lot of the benefits far quicker. I think boundaries should be reformed but I can see that being an issue that hinders progress.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Not especially clear on the official docs so reproducing a wee blown up portion of the Sauchiehall Framework. Proposing amongst other things a road closure at North St to facilitate new plaza in front of Mitchell Library, and new roof garden.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Roddy_ said:
Not especially clear on the official docs so reproducing a wee blown up portion of the Sauchiehall Framework. Proposing amongst other things a road closure at North St to facilitate new plaza in front of Mitchell Library, and new roof garden.
No proposals for improving the pedestrian link between W Graham St and Great Western Road?

Also, the pathway between Renfrew St and the viewing area / Hill St looks like it could attract some criminal elements after dark. Some judicious tree felling there could be beneficial.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When the M8 was built (trampled) through Charing Cross, it was always intended that the 'bridge to nowhere' would carry a building to enclose the area of the cross, so I hope Tay House stays, but, if nothing else happens, if no new work goes ahead other than the covering of the M8 and the building of a roof garden I would be an extremely happy man!! Think how much road noise would be removed, and how much prettier it will look without that huge scar!

Do it!

1261 - 1280 of 4094 Posts