SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 4094 Posts

·
User
18,904 Posts
I'm kinda torn on the Kingston Bridge. I know I should hate it, but... dat span! It has a certain elegance to it. If we could get tall buildings built on the gap sites at either side of it on the north bank and create a canyon feel, it'd be pretty cool. Some kind of illumination or lighting scheme would be good too.
Coming over it, especially from the west/govan is also pretty cool and guaranteed to get cooler as the gaps fill up and the buildings heights creep upwards. As a pedestrian i dont perceive it as presenting much inconvenience at all either (in fact i enjoy walking under it)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Coming over it, especially from the west/govan is also pretty cool and guaranteed to get cooler as the gaps fill up and the buildings heights creep upwards. As a pedestrian i dont perceive it as presenting much inconvenience at all either (in fact i enjoy walking under it)
The Kingston bridge does not block pedestrian access, I agree, the problem is though outside the Hilton, where it looks like there is no room for pedestrians next to a 6 lane motorway...

Speaking of bridges, is there ever likely to be any movement to improve the bridge over the Expressway to the SECC, it looks dreadful now, filthy and unwelcoming, all they need to do is remove all the red plastic and have it as an open bridge, might look quite cool when there is a gig on at the Hydro, all those peple trudging across....

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd prefer if the bridge to SECC dropped you at the same area are bridge from MSCP does next to the Hydro, saves the winding route it takes just now. It'd cost a bomb to replace, though SECC must be making a fair few bob from events there now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Would jumpers really be a problem? plenty other bridges over the expressway further along... a simple bridge is all you need, the existing one is horrible and dated
I don't think it's 'jumpers' that'd be considered to be the issue, mainly the sheer volume of people that use the bridge during events where an accident may occur.

I'd miss the buskers if it wasn't enclosed as the noise from the expressway would drown them out.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Speaking of bridges, is there ever likely to be any movement to improve the bridge over the Expressway to the SECC, it looks dreadful now, filthy and unwelcoming
The solution to this eyesore has been staring us in the face for quite some time now, Jaded.

Replace the bridge's plastic panels with glass ones, move it from its present location over the Expressway, drop it into the Clyde and...

~o0o~

...voila!​

1301 - 1320 of 4094 Posts