Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3319 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Akbars of Brdford.

Thought I would move this from the Retail thread to start us off..

Akbars of Bradford - the VERY popular chain of Indian restaurants are opening a Glasgow branch in Febuary 2012 in the current Tiffin Rooms on Sauchiehall Street:banana:

All their restaurants have a very fancy Versace decor - from wallpaper to the carpet - and being a regular visitor to their branches in England, I can easily say it is the best Indian food you will most likley ever sample - at very reasonable prices too (coming from a Pakistani lad who knows his Indian food!)

Attention to detail is something else, and after months and months of hype on the Newcastle Forums before their opening there last year, during which most posters and forum guests were saying "what is all the fuss about?", they all thoroughly loved it when it opened and now most are regulars!

Bring on Febuary 2012!

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Good 1 Craig, was thinking about this kinda thread the other day, you've read my mind so to say, cheers mate, this kinda thread was well needed on the GMA Forum. :)

G

·
Thought I would move this from the Retail thread to start us off..
This isn't good. Glasgow is spoiled when it comes to Indian restaurants and Tiffin Rooms is one of the best. Akbar's - certainly the ones I've eaten in down south - aren't up to much at all in comparison.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Carluccio’s open Glasgow restaurant​

Urban Realm 24th November 2011​

Carluccio’s, an Italian restaurant, food shop and delicatessen, has opened a new outlet on Glasgow’s West Nile Street in time for the Christmas rush.

Completed by Design LSM the store incorporates a mixture of food displays and a deli visible from its shop window whilst a sweeping marble bar provides a space to lounge.

A restaurant space to the rear sits in front of an open plan kitchen area offering a range of Italian cuisine.

Amongst the celebrities invited to the star-studded opening party were: Paolo Nutini; Gio and Nicola Benedetti; Kirsty Wark; Clare Grogan; John Amabile; Kaye Adams; Suzie McGuire; Richard Gough and Tam Cowan.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
[QUOTE=Pious Fraud;

"Amongst the celebrities invited to the star-studded opening party were: Paolo Nutini; Gio and Nicola Benedetti; Kirsty Wark; Clare Grogan; John Amabile; Kaye Adams; Suzie McGuire; Richard Gough and Tam Cowan."

Think that's what they call an A to Z list!

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Pious Fraud; "Amongst the celebrities invited to the star-studded opening party were: Paolo Nutini; Gio and Nicola Benedetti; Kirsty Wark; Clare Grogan; John Amabile; Kaye Adams; Suzie McGuire; Richard Gough and Tam Cowan." Think that's what they call an A to Z list![/QUOTE said:
Note how it says 'invited.'

I could 'invite' all the aforementioned to my upcoming birthday night out but it doesn't mean they are going to turn up.

The paper should be ashamed of publishing this ridiculous little name dropping puff piece.

Apart from that the place looks great and i look forward to trying it! :cheers:

·
Steel guitar in my soul.
1,608 Posts
It's disappointing to hear the Tiffin Rooms is closing down. When even Balbir is feeling the squeeze, you know there's trouble.

Akbar's has some mighty big shoes to fill. They'd better bring their A-game if they're intent on taking on the big boys in Glasgow.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Carluccio's got a fairly lukewarm review in the Herald at the weekend. Much as it pains me to admit it, but Jamie's Italy is the best Italian I've been to in Glasgow by quite some distance. I really wanted to hate it because Jamie Oliver is *SUCH A NOB*, and only went because we were given vouchers, but the food and the service were just so damn good. Waitresses were hot too, though I didn't comment on this to my mrs.

·
W la porchetta d'Ariccia
1,122 Posts
Much as it pains me to admit it, but Jamie's Italy is the best Italian I've been to in Glasgow by quite some distance. I really wanted to hate it because Jamie Oliver is *SUCH A NOB*, and only went because we were given vouchers, but the food and the service were just so damn good. Waitresses were hot too, though I didn't comment on this to my mrs.
Good to know, cheers :)

Btw, Don Costanzo (remember Ristorante Caprese in Buchanan Street?) is now open (13 Woodside Crescent).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bungo.

The Bungo Bar & Kitchen in Glasgow's Strathbungo area has officially opened as of today. The owners are the same business partners who currently own The Two Figs & The Left Bank. There was a few preview nights over the weekend period. It looks very promising based on the construction photographs. I will probably pop along at some point this week to maybe get some cheeky snaps!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bungo/190003654400925

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Good food from Akbars Restaurants am lookin forward to this one opening up. :)

Reference: 11/02938/DC Community Cnl: Anderston
Address: 573 Sauchiehall Street Glasgow G3 7PQ
Proposal: Display of two internally illuminated fascia signs
Date Received: 14.12.2011 Date Valid: 19.12.2011
Applicant
Details:
Akbars Restaurants
Agent Details:
Michael Roundhill Design
7 Town Gate Calvery LEEDS
Ward: Anderston/City Representation Expiry Date: 27.01.2012
Type: Advertisement Consent Level: