SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 8861 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked for any previous threads on this subject but they all deal with Manchester,Leeds Liverpool etc.so thought glasgow should have it's own.

So anyone got any idea what shops will be opening in the new units on Ingram street that used to be part of the Jarvis hotel or the new Manor Kingdom building at Ingram/Glassford street?

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Not a scooby. Would also be very interested to know.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Still being kitted out isn't it? They were recruiting not too long ago. Thinks its a July opening date. They are spending £1.2 million on the building getting the store right! Impressive.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
the Glasgow store is now being built at 147 Buchanan Street it will be the first AppleStore for Scotland and also apprently a flagship store, as other posters have said it should apprently be open by July or mid year

Buchanan Street - Glasgow, Scotland

This city of 629,000 is Britain's second largest shopping district, and is home to 3 major universities and several colleges. The city's demographic is high on younger and educated residents. Stone-paved Buchanan Street is home to many high-end shops and restaurants, and the 80-store Buchanan Galleries mall. On Oct. 11, 2006 Apple filed paperwork to renovate the building at 147 Buchanan Street at the corner of St. Vincent St., in the middle of the district. The 3-story bulding was designed by architect David Hamilton in 1841 as the Western Club (although just two walls of the original building remain after earlier retail renovations). It was most recently occupied by The Pier, a home furnishings store. It's considered a Category A historic building, meaning it's "national or international importance, either architectural or historic, or fine little-altered examples of some particular period, style or building type." The proposed renovations include removing the mezzanine level, installing a second floor, a spiral glass staircase, stainless steel interior walls, and second-level Genius/Studio bars. The plans don't include a theater, but make use of the basement for storage. Total cost £1,168,000 ($2.2 million). Interior renovations approved by city officials on Jan. 23 ,2007. Construction started in February, 2007, with a grand opening in July, 2007. It would be the first store in Scotland, and geographically the furthest-north store in the chain. Job listings posted Feb. 22, 2007. Recruiting from universities in mid-March. Scaffolding inside in mid-May with some construction underway.
October 31st, 2006
Glasgow Store Confirmed

Reports that Apple’s retail team has been prowling Glasgow (Scotland) have been confirmed with the company’s filing of an application with the city’s Planning and Development agency to extensively renovate the building at 147 Buchanan Street in the city’s central business district. It would be the first store in the country, and the furthest-north store in the chain. The historic, 165 year-old building sits on an impressive corner in the up-scale shopping district, and most recently housed The Pier home furnishings store. Apple’s proposal includes removing the existing mezzanine level, constructing a second floor, installing an elevator and spiral-glass staircase, and renovating the existing basement. The 7,800 square-foot store would include a Genius and Studio bar, but no theater. The interior design will apparently be V2.0, with stainless steel panels on the walls. Exterior work will necessarily be limited to restoration, since the building is historically protected. Apple says the work will cost $2.2 million, could begin in Feb. 2007, and be completed by July 2007. The city’s planning agencies must still approve Apple’s proposal, which could take about two months to complete. Check coverage and photos by the Surviving Cinemas Web site, or the city’s description of the building.
Also an Edinburgh is being reported to open aswell

December 19th, 2006
Edinburgh Store Reported

The AppleInsider Web site reports that Apple has finalized real estate transactions to open a store along Princes Street in the central business district of Edinburgh (Scotland), opening some time in 2007. In October tipsters revealed that Apple will open a store in downtown Glasgow. The Princes Street store will have a view of the spectacular Edinburgh Castle, set on a 400 feet cliff above the 38-acre Princes Street Gardens.

·
Izzle Bizzle
1,512 Posts
Thanks for the info - where are you quoting that from?

·
Registered
410 Posts
So anyone got any idea what shops will be opening in the new units on Ingram street that used to be part of the Jarvis hotel or the new Manor Kingdom building at Ingram/Glassford street?
"Agent Provocateur" I believe is one.....

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
That would make sense they have a store in the lesser retail centres like Manchester and Leeds. Will get maself round for a good perv!

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
From Mulberry's website;

Glasgow

Mulberry
Unit 2, 204-207 Ingram Street
Glasgow G1 1DQ
Tel. Opening July 2008

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
American Apparel are moving into the old Sofa Workshop unit in Nelson Mandela place sometime late July,I think this is their first store outside London.Chalk up another punch in Glasgows fight back to second best shopping city outside London now if only GDC could get Selfridges to build or sell the land in the Trongate things could step up a gear.

·
Registered
10,996 Posts
Glasgow is the best place to shop outside London by a considerable margin ( based on Experian and CACI retail vitality index ), its just that turnover has dropped marginally behind Birmingham's. Trust me, if Selfridges open then Harvey Nicks will follow then the rest - louis Vuitton et al and Glasgow would walk away even more with the best shopping destination outside London title.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
American Apparel are moving into the old Sofa Workshop unit in Nelson Mandela place sometime late July,I think this is their first store outside London.Chalk up another punch in Glasgows fight back to second best shopping city outside London now if only GDC could get Selfridges to build or sell the land in the Trongate things could step up a gear.
It is there 2nd store outside London but there 1st up north and 1st in Scotland, they have 3 stores open in London and another opening in summer, 1 store opening in Brighton in summer and then this store in Scotland again opening in summer so the have 3 store planned to open this summer and alot more as they are on a U.K. store expansion they will be opening in Liverpool next year and they are apprently looking at Manchester and all other main shopping cities.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why did Selfridges choose the Trongate as a site for their store? Perhaps the worst area of the city centre surrounded by pound shops and cheap knock off leather jacket stores. Their store in London is amazing so I would of thought they would have wanted to recreate a grand store like that in position where it will get noticed, something like Fraser's on Buchannan Street?

·
£€$$ is more
1,873 Posts
Its a huge site they have with numerous buildings on it. I imagine they would knock them down and build again. When they announce they are going to build I guess higher end retailers would move in round about. Also, because its a scabbier end of town the land for such a large site would of been cheaper. Its a case of Gentrification in commercial terms I think. Remember their site in Birmingham was a really crappy area and now its been rejuvinated.
Anyway Oxford Street is full of crappy pound shops and shitty souviner shops its not that much different except its a bit sunnier.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Toyo Ito was appointed as the lead architect with BDP's Glasgow office providing assistance in the implementation of the scheme. From memory it had the main retail element fronting onto Argyle Street, with the site extending almost as far back as Ingram Street, which had a residential elements.

I can only describe the elevations as akin to the White Cliffs of Dover, with angled facetted glazing -crystalline type structures - with the columns also running off in random directions and angles as Will Alsop is want to do.

To be honest, it looked at though someone had dragged an iceberg onto Argyle Street, and just as out of place as the Future Systems building.

·
MORI
8,646 Posts
Originaly Selfridges had pinpionted the block @ Buchanan/Bath/West Nile st way back in the early 90s when the Buchanan Galleries were being constructed.

After the consrtaints of A listed buildings and ownership issues and endless other setbacks over the years they decided to opt out of that site.

Personaly i dont think they will open @ trongate, if it was to happen they would have done it long before now... i think it will be one of the bigger out of town centres and a modern purpose built unit they will go for like Glasgow Harbour, Braehead's next phase, maybe even Silverburn.

I hope they will opt for trongate though ...it needs an injection bigtime.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With Ingram street becoming a shopping street anyone any ideas/thoughts as to what will happen to the old Bank of Scotland building on the corner,seems like a perfect spot for one large store or ground floor shops with flats/offices above.If this has already been talked about sorry ,remember i am new here.

1 - 20 of 8861 Posts