SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Endless summer
443 Posts
Other then Glendale Galleria there is a few more indoor malls left. There is Burbank Town Center, Sherman Oaks Galleria, Beverly Center, Fox Hills Mall (very end of Superbad shot in there :)), Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, Westside Pavilion, and i guess Santa Monica Place but that is a ghost town.
Santa Monica Place is being demolished and reconstructed as an outdoor mall... so that's another one down!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Other then Glendale Galleria there is a few more indoor malls left. There is Burbank Town Center, Sherman Oaks Galleria, Beverly Center, Fox Hills Mall (very end of Superbad shot in there :)), Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza, Westside Pavilion, and i guess Santa Monica Place but that is a ghost town.
In addition to the changes already mentioned let's not forget that the Sherman Oaks Galleria has already been demolished and rebuilt as offices and a small, mostly outdoor court. I think you are probably thinking about Sherman Oaks Fashion Square (now Westfield), a former outdoor mall that was enclosed.

Also, to add to your list let's not forget to add the Northridge Fashion Center, Woodland Hills Prominade, Los Cerritos Shopping Center, and the Oaks to your LA County list

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Why do people hate on 3rd St? The only thing it lacks is residential but there are lots of places in LA that are single use zoned w/ no residential topping business. 3rd St is very very cool in my opinion. People spill out of the Promenade crossing Ocean and down to the beach. Plenty of mass transit options and the busses are full! Renovated bus stands with seating all around the Promenade. Since I've never driven there I have no idea where people park since parking doesn't dominate the visual landscape...people do. Same thing with H&H which I think is a great boon to Hollywood that so many on this board poo poo. H&H represents the SoCal atrium setting that can be found everywhere in the region with its semi-closed hollow in the middle style. Remember Melrose Place? Personally I feel that Americana is a travesty with such a large destination being placed outside of LA's Urban Core, where there exists no rapid mass transit and worse yet no plans for such in the near future. The Promenade perhaps by the end of next decade will have 3 lines connecting it with the rest of the LA urban core.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
618 Posts
In addition to the changes already mentioned let's not forget that the Sherman Oaks Galleria has already been demolished and rebuilt as offices and a small, mostly outdoor court. I think you are probably thinking about Sherman Oaks Fashion Square (now Westfield), a former outdoor mall that was enclosed.

Also, to add to your list let's not forget to add the Northridge Fashion Center, Woodland Hills Prominade, Los Cerritos Shopping Center, and the Oaks to your LA County list
what is next to the 405/101 interchange? Excuse me for hardly ever going into the Valley, but I did go over there last year, and I remember a big building saying "Galleria" there. Is that gone? (lol if it is, I now look silly, sorry, haha)

p.s. I just remembered right now, I went by Google Maps' satellite imagery and just saw a big enclosed building, and due to the fact I only am in the valley like once every year or two, I could not use my knowledge and had to reply on that map, so if that map is out of date, that is why i had it in my list.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Why do people hate on 3rd St? The only thing it lacks is residential but there are lots of places in LA that are single use zoned w/ no residential topping business. 3rd St is very very cool in my opinion. People spill out of the Promenade crossing Ocean and down to the beach. Plenty of mass transit options and the busses are full! Renovated bus stands with seating all around the Promenade. Since I've never driven there I have no idea where people park since parking doesn't dominate the visual landscape...people do. Same thing with H&H which I think is a great boon to Hollywood that so many on this board poo poo. H&H represents the SoCal atrium setting that can be found everywhere in the region with its semi-closed hollow in the middle style. Remember Melrose Place? Personally I feel that Americana is a travesty with such a large destination being placed outside of LA's Urban Core, where there exists no rapid mass transit and worse yet no plans for such in the near future. The Promenade perhaps by the end of next decade will have 3 lines connecting it with the rest of the LA urban core.
I do not think anyone have a problem with the 3rd street area specifically, just the people there :lol:

3rd street is a great place. and i personally think the performers out in the street is a great addition.... however I hate the actual crowd that generates around them, not the performers themselves

·
Registered
313 Posts
Tourists? I hate them too [well I work on the promenade] but you have to learn to accept that theyre the nes spenind so much money down here, we would be broke if they didn't time there.

Or maybe its bums? Yeah, they bug me too, but I kind of feel like theyre part of the attraction to the promenade. Crazy bums doing crazy things.

The promenade is real and fake at the same time. Atleast its not like the Grove where it feels part of the community, just another attraction. Look at that huge parking lot!

·
Registered
136 Posts
what is next to the 405/101 interchange? Excuse me for hardly ever going into the Valley, but I did go over there last year, and I remember a big building saying "Galleria" there. Is that gone? (lol if it is, I now look silly, sorry, haha)

p.s. I just remembered right now, I went by Google Maps' satellite imagery and just saw a big enclosed building, and due to the fact I only am in the valley like once every year or two, I could not use my knowledge and had to reply on that map, so if that map is out of date, that is why i had it in my list.
They demolished the Galleria of the 80s a few years back, kept the office buildings and parking garage, and then built a much smaller shopping strip (basically stores on the first floor of the office buildings that were built to replace the mall). The exception to that is in the Ventura Blvd facing building is an ArcLight Theatre and Magic 24 Hour Fitness. No department stores and pretty much places to eat now.

·
Chairman of the Bored
851 Posts
There are only a handful of what you would call "upscale" indoor malls left in the LA area. Like Chris Rock once said, there are two kinds of malls in America, one that white people go to, and one that white people used to go to :)

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Tourists? I hate them too [well I work on the promenade] but you have to learn to accept that theyre the nes spenind so much money down here, we would be broke if they didn't time there.

Or maybe its bums? Yeah, they bug me too, but I kind of feel like theyre part of the attraction to the promenade. Crazy bums doing crazy things.

The promenade is real and fake at the same time. Atleast its not like the Grove where it feels part of the community, just another attraction. Look at that huge parking lot!
This is all nonsense talk. Let's talk about what Santa Monica and our Pacific Ocean seaboard would be like w/o the Promenade, the tourists or their money. Many so-called "urban" cities wish they could even have a 1/3 of the economy of what something like a 3rd St generates.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
http://articles.glendalenewspress.c...8-americana_1_americana-tax-revenue-sales-tax

Things seem to be hopping in Glendale. City officials report that the property tax valuation of Americana was DOUBLE what was expected, a cool 480M. This gives a quick boost to property tax collections in spite of sales being weak.

City officials also claim that the market for real estate surrounding Americana is strong in spite of the economy (the final condo's at Americana sold and two of the adjoining retail properties, which were failing before Americana got there, have sold to new investors). Caruso claims he is not the buyer but that he believes that store fronts along Brand are a great investment and he is considering further purchases. He is apparently still eyeing a stake in the Galleria, which has been going through management changes.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/...n_approved_heres_what_itll_look_like.php#more

The new Americana extension is approved. It looks like what you would expect.

The Nordstrom frontage on Colorado is a bit of a downer; some windows or views inward would be nice. But Colorado currently has no foot traffic and plenty of car traffic, so it may be a lost cause. More likely, Americana and the Galleria will open up toward each other eventually. The two entries onto Brand are quite active and have spurred new investors along Brand.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
it's because places like these don't show their faces to the streets that people miss the property entirely.
Agreed; but not really the problem at Americana, which is generally well-known and crowded. It opens very nicely onto Brand, which was the main shopping street in Glendale, but had gone dead. With Americana's presence it is now active again and people move easily between the two. Other retail property in the area, both single and mult-level, is increasing in value according to the city.

Nordstrom put an entrance on Colorado, which has little or no foot traffic. But the key is to open up the Galleria to the street. Some traffic mitigation between and alongside them could create a large walkable urban area. And there is already an Americana "trolley" along Brand and to the high-rises and condos to the north.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
http://articles.glendalenewspress.c...1_spaces-laemmle-theatres-surface-parking-lot

Not exactly the Americana, but down the block. This is an arts theater with lofts above project in DT Glendale, south of the Alex and north of Americana.

There are in fact some available parking spots in nearby structures, so the approach to parking is reasonable. Blending into the existing street scene is going to be a challenge since Brand is now multi-story retail and Louise, Maryland, etc., are mixed churches, small govt. buildings and apartments in a classic early 20th century style.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
http://tropicostation.blogspot.com/2012/05/brand-wilson-project-238-residential.html

Some more of the "Americana effect". A 6-story residential w/ retail near the Americana and Galleria. This was Webb's department store for many decades but has been empty for some time (it was too upscale for us, we shopped at Penny's down the block). No timeline; hopefully it will be ready for Kim Kardashian's inauguration parade (if and when).

In response to complaints that Glendale is bland and boring the builder has been asked to step up the colors. It is true that Glendale's high-rises tend to be very conservative (excepting the hideous old Glendale Federal building); but this area is pretty eclectic.

Some councilmembers wanted to hold out for a high-rise hotel, but this seems like a good project, putting people right into downtown. Brand and adjacent streets are mostly older low-rise in the area and there is plenty of room for hotels or more apartments in the future.

Now the main needs are transit to DT and Pasadena.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts