SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
No activity on the former Webb's on Brand site, but 3 or 4 large parcels on Central (basically, just north of the Galleria and Sears) are showng activity. Excavation and shoring of about 20 ft. is complete on 1 and there is further work on site and on utilities under the surrounding streets.

From my quick research, these all appear to be 5-6 story residential, replacing vacant lots and 1-story retail. Central is just west of Brand and already has several buildings over 10 stories and retail and restaurants of its own. A nice expansion of the Brand corridor, which is already quite busy days and evening, with lots of shoppers and outdoor dining. Brand from Colorado north past the freeway to Incarnation Church is a very nice stretch of highrise and retail.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
The LA County Economic Development Corp. names Glendale as a finalist for business friendly city of 2012. It's the largest city on the list.

Meanwhile, more "Americana effect": the Galleria announces the opening of 9021Pho (branches in BH and Westlake Village) this October with a large Korean restaurant to follow. The whole re-do including Bloomies (prominently displayed at Brand and Broadway) is due the following October.

The word is that the Glendale Bloomies will be edited for the lifestyle of its customers, the same as the Soho and SaMo stores. I'm not sure what exactly this means.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
it means more hugo boss and armani lol.

Glendale changed the zoning in the downtown plan a few years back and we are now seeing the fruits. My office is on Broadway and Louise and that entire stretch has changed (or is changing) for the better and denser. Glendale has a long way to go, but is taking the right steps.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
it means more hugo boss and armani lol.

Glendale changed the zoning in the downtown plan a few years back and we are now seeing the fruits. My office is on Broadway and Louise and that entire stretch has changed (or is changing) for the better and denser. Glendale has a long way to go, but is taking the right steps.
That hood used to be all 1 or 2 story govt. buildings, churches, utilities and other "small town downtown" stuff, each with a small parking lot. But back then Glendale had only about 60 percent of the current population and for sure none of them bought Boss or Armani.

It should become a bit taller commercial and residential over time. I would guess that night-life will focus on Maryland or Brand or west, with Louise and north and east of there remaining a bit quieter.

Do you have any specifics on what's going on on the big lots on Central north of Sears?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
That hood used to be all 1 or 2 story govt. buildings, churches, utilities and other "small town downtown" stuff, each with a small parking lot. But back then Glendale had only about 60 percent of the current population and for sure none of them bought Boss or Armani.

It should become a bit taller commercial and residential over time. I would guess that night-life will focus on Maryland or Brand or west, with Louise and north and east of there remaining a bit quieter.

Do you have any specifics on what's going on on the big lots on Central north of Sears?
if my memory is correct, those two lots (one on each side of Cental and wilson) will become 5 - 6 story mixed use projects.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
http://www.glendalenewspress.com/ne...irth-coming-to-glendales-core,0,7551979.story

The Glendale News Press has a summary of development projects in Glendale. Another example of the "Americana effect", as all but one are within blocks of the Americana.

Mostly these are residential, between 3 and 7 stories most with some commercial. Interestingly, the units will be build to condo standards, anticipating their eventual sale when the market warrants it.

There is also a new Nordstroms and Courtyard hotel. The Galleria is renovating, adding a Bloomingdales and looking for a tenant for the old Nordstrom.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
This is similar to my post under SFV.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-gen-y-apartments-20121214,0,3020481.story

This is right on Maryland and looks to revive that redeveloped but rather unsuccessful area. Along with some other work starting north of there, it is starting to look like the whole area toward Glendale Ave. could evolve into a walkable village over time.

Along Central (at California) there are 3 buildings at some stage of construction (all 4-6 story apartments I believe) and two lots ready to build. All within 2 blocks of the Americana.

The Galleria is also feeling the Americana effect, as it has opened numerous large skylights, modernized the decor and is preparing oudoor dining areas with "Americana views" across Orange (these are still in process right through the Christmas crowds). The paths to Bloomies are blocked with signs saying "Opening 2013" and a variety of trendy restaurants are in the works as well.

Like downtown LA, however, it looks like zero in the way of new businesses or ownership units. Nothing cooking at the hotel site on Brand, but that makes sense given the current pedestrian and car traffic in that area.

·
Registered
18,283 Posts
http://articles.glendalenewspress.c...owntown-glendale-americana-glendale-officials

More Americana effect, in every direction. East, across Brand, the Glendale Marketplace will reconfigure to open toward Americana. And, in this article, an apartment project converts to condo across Colorado to the south.

On the other two sides you have the Galleria opening up with cafes onto Orange and to the north Bloomingdales opening at Brand and Broadway, Nov 8.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

Completion Nears for Altana Glendale

Greystar Real Estate Partners, a national developer of mutlifamily residential communities, is wrapping up construction for a two-building complex in Downtown Glendale.

Altana Glendale, located on opposite corners of Central Avenue and Doran Street, consists of two five-story structures featuring 507 rental apartments. According to an official leasing website, the project offers a mixture of studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom dwellings, each of which features natural wood flooring, stainless steel appliances and washer-dryer sets.
http://urbanize.la/post/completion-nears-altana-glendale

41 - 52 of 52 Posts