Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1100 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The main Old Granada Studios | St John's thread is getting a little complicated, this scheme surely deserves its own.

St John's Place, a four block development incorporating 387 resi units and two hotels (313 rooms & 14 serviced apartments, 327 total). 52 storey tower includes a proposed Nadler Hotel on the lower floors (to level 15) with apartments above.

Developer: Manchester Quays (Allied London & MCC)
Architect: SimpsonHaugh

http://stjohnsmanchester.com/st-johns-place/

App
109660/FO/2015/C1 | Demolition of existing buildings and structures, including Albert Shed and Globe and Simpson Building, to enable the construction of four buildings comprising : hotel use (Class C1) and residential use (Class C3) within building 1 (ground floor plus 51 storeys); hotel use (Class C1) within building 2 (ground floor plus 7 storeys); residential use (Class C3) within building 3 (ground floor plus 17 storeys); and, residential use (Class C3) within building 4 (ground floor plus 3 storeys), providing a total of 387 residential units; retail use (Class A1) or Financial and Professional Services use (Class A2) or Restaurant and Cafe use (Class A3) or Drinking Establishment use (Class A4) at the lower floors of all buildings, together with associated external seating areas; creation of new public realm and landscaping, riverside walkway, car and cycle parking, access arrangements and highways works, rooftop plant, and other associated works. | Land Bounded By Quay Street & Manchester College To The North, Gartside Street & Quay Street To The East, Granada House & Studios & The Victoria & Albert Marriott Hotel To The South & Water Street & The River Irwell To The West Manchester
Design & Access Statement (41.76 MB)

Site

Zones

1 - Hotel & Resi
2 - Hotel & Serviced Apartments
3 - Resi
4 - Resi

Ground Floor

Landscaping Plan (Gillespies)

Elevations

Posted by iamtheSTIG

Zone 1:

Zone 2:

Zone 3:

Zone 4:

Renders

Posted by jrb, Credit: Our Studio

Tower interior design by Geraghty Taylor Architects.

http://www.wallpaper.com/architecture/geraghty-taylor-architects-reveals-st-johns-manchester-plan

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Agreed. I have struggled to follow this development with the confusion in the other thread (as well as the sheer explosion of proposals and construction in Manc at the moment), so it is nice to have a fresh perspective :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The tower is just 1m shorter than Beetham.
I remember hearing this fact and thinking that it was a purposeful move by Ian Simpson to keep Beetham (and his penthouse) technically the tallest in Manchester, then Owen Street came along and blew that theory out of the water!

As there's no "blade" on this building it will actually feel taller than Beetham I would guess, I think Beetham is only 157m without it

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
It is indeed a right old cracker. Can't wait :cheers:
It will appear 'shorter' than Beetham on account of it being down the bottom end of the hill on Quay St - the usual Manchester problem of building its towers next to rivers and low ground:weird:

I understand there was a St John extravaganza the other day......did anyone ask when this would start on site? Obviously a bit of demolition needed first.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I remember hearing this fact and thinking that it was a purposeful move by Ian Simpson to keep Beetham (and his penthouse) technically the tallest in Manchester, then Owen Street came along and blew that theory out of the water!

As there's no "blade" on this building it will actually feel taller than Beetham I would guess, I think Beetham is only 157m without it
Im glad that this skyline dominator hasn't got that messy random vertical cladding too, and looking like two irregular bricks stacked on top of each other by a child.

·
Read Only
2 Posts
It is indeed a right old cracker. Can't wait :cheers:
It will appear 'shorter' than Beetham on account of it being down the bottom end of the hill on Quay St - the usual Manchester problem of building its towers next to rivers and low ground:weird:

I understand there was a St John extravaganza the other day......did anyone ask when this would start on site? Obviously a bit of demolition needed first.
The question has indeed been asked but no one seems to be responding :(

·
Gotta lite?
6,078 Posts
Just out of interest, is this the same St Johns as described in yesterday's MEN article which referred to a New York Style highline as being part of the masterplan?

If so, does anyone have details of the full masterplan including the route of the highline?

·
Like 'Berg'
6,848 Posts
Just can't get my head around this one :| :D Look how small building 3 is in comparison, then take into consideration it is shy of 70m, that is still a tall building for Manchester standards. Possibly the most exciting proposal for me at the moment, the thought of being at the junction on Peter St and Deansgate and seeing the lowrise buildings going up to 1 Spinningfields and then this at the end, it'll be astounding (and that's without considering the neighbouring buildings to go up with it and what's potentially on the cards across from 1 Spinningfields which has been indicatively shown as a similar scale and mass.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Loving this one. Go back just 5 years and we would have been amazed at a project of this quality coming to Manchester, now it seems to be becoming increasingly more frequent. This city's skyline will be transformed in 10 years. Hopefully, minus those hideous black towers contained in the St Michael's plan.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Loving this one. Go back just 5 years and we would have been amazed at a project of this quality coming to Manchester, now it seems to be becoming increasingly more frequent. This city's skyline will be transformed in 10 years. Hopefully, minus those hideous black towers contained in the St Michael's plan.
I like the black towers. However, I doubt any of these will see the light of day with another recession looming around the corner!

Oh well, maybe in 30 years time :)

·
Manchester
560 Posts
I like the black towers. However, I doubt any of these will see the light of day with another recession looming around the corner!

Funny you say that. When I was in a meeting with a major developer this week about a proposal in the city of London, they said it's business as usual for them.

Didn't seem to have an issue with Brexit, and no mention of a recession either. I can't imagine this developer's views to be too dissimilar.

All opinions though isn't it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE I like the black towers. However, I doubt any of these will see the light of day with another recession looming around the corner!

When I opened up this thread & reading your other comments I thought

Oh Noo here we go.. Mr negativity :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 1100 Posts