SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone be kind enough to explain the difference between these two organisations and indeed the relationship between them?

I was under the impression that GMPTE was recently (or soon to be) renamed GMITA, but this isn't the case is it?

Thanks.

Yours,

A. Tadconfused

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Work out if Metrolink is in a good mood and then ask him.

Either that or just email your local councillor.

But basically one is the authority (GMITA formerly GMPTA) created because Greater Manchester Council was closed down by Thatcher (that friend of democracy and Pinochet).

So they decide policy. (When Westminster and Whitehall isnt interfering, blocking or sending decrees down from above on us)

And the GMPTE is the executive, which should enact the decisions of the authority and/or colonial, sorry central government. Eg enacts statutory duties, regulates (within the limited powers granted) and perhaps runs directly some of the services.

Abit like me and my other half. One does the talking and the other does the doing.

Trust me its only confusing, because in the rest of Europe, America and Australia, the GMITA is the provincial or state. Here we have quangos.

·
Banned
1,779 Posts
Good mood this morning :D

The ITA is made up of 33 councillors from the 10 boroughs of Greater Manchester - they give the road map for the transport in the area, such as they are the ones who decide that we want Metrolink expansion to the airport for example.

The PTE is a much bigger organisation (based in Piccadilly Place) they are professionals tasked with delivering the ITAs road map.

They are also tasked with helping inform the ITA, for example, the ITA may say they want the airport tram line, the PTE will then develop plans with recommendations of which the ITA can decide if they want to proceed or not.

The PTE also actually delivers the projects, once the ITA have said that they want the line to the airport.

The PTE will run the tendering process and manage the project to ensure that contractors deliver what was originally required.

Let me know if you want more details.

I am in a good mood at the moment :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant - thanks very much for your help to both of you! I might have a couple more queries regards PTE and ITA, but cheers again in the meantime :cheers1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts