Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Hong Kong in a few months, and judging from all the photos here I see that there's a LOT of cool stuff to capture.

I have a Canon EOS-300 which I've used for a couple of years, but really never gotten round to fully understand. I'm also not very happy with the lens that came with it. very cheap quality. Also, developing 35mm tends to become very expensive, so I want to get a digital camera this time. A digital SLR would probably be the best idea, right?
I want to take pictures of skyscrapers (of course) as well as city life, people etc. as there are so many great pictures of in this forum.

What would I need (I don't have unlimited funds, but when I buy something I usually think of quality and something that will last for a long time) -the camera itself and a couple of good lenses? And of course a memory card.
Nikon D-50 and Canon EOS-350D seem to be the two cameras that have a reasonable price and hopefully good?
What do you people out there use and what are your experiences?

·
EOS 40D
2,108 Posts
Whatever the experts use. I don't think Hong Kong is any different for a photographer =)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe, funny :hahaha:
but not very helpful.

I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of equipment I need to get good skyscraper pictures, and I believe a digital SLR is the way to go, but which one, and which lenses?
And without going overboard with the expenses...

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Sorry mate can't help you with that :(

I have a Pentax Optio s4i (4.0 megapixels), so it's not the best camera in the world (just conveniently shaped/sized/weighted) and you can check out some of my pics on the Urban Photo Contest forum to see how they come out.

You won't get the best pictures, but generally they'll be viewable - Hong Kong is also a very photographic city so it's hard to go wrong really.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
i suggest you take a look at dpreview.com
Canon 350D is the most popular "cheap" digital SLR. You can't go wrong with Nikon either. (like D50, 70 etc)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
vincent said:
i suggest you take a look at dpreview.com
Canon 350D is the most popular "cheap" digital SLR. You can't go wrong with Nikon either. (like D50, 70 etc)
Yes, I've been looking at the Canon EOS-350D and the Nikon D-50 as they seem to be the most reasonably priced digital SLRs while also being of good quality.
I'm currently trying to read a lot of tests (such as the one you suggested), but still haven't decided which one to go for.

What about lenses? What would I need to be able to take stunning architecture pictures, and of course also street life and other things while in HK?
(as you can tell I'm a newbie when it comes to these things even though I have a Canon EOS-300 (used mostly in the auto mode), but only with the crappy kit lens. This time I want to ask around so I know what I need and can get a much better lens, or lenses if I need more than one).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
the lens that comes with those Digital SLR is good enough to take great photos. You don't need to have a very expensive lens to take good pics. Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with any famous japanese lens maker. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sigma etc. If you have more question, you can leave me a private message.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vincent said:
the lens that comes with those Digital SLR is good enough to take great photos. You don't need to have a very expensive lens to take good pics. Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with any famous japanese lens maker. Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sigma etc. If you have more question, you can leave me a private message.
I wasn't wondering about the brands, but the type of lens as in zoom, wide-angle etc. How many mm, lighting etc....
Seeing how many interesting photos have been submitted to this forum I'm sure others might be interested in learning more, which is why I'm asking about it here instead of privately.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
28mm wide angle (35mm film standard) is a good start for beginner. Most digital SLR has a natural multiplication factor in there, meaning if you have a 18-80mm lens attached to the camera, the actual zoom is 18 x 1.6 = 28.8mm, and 80 x 1.6 = 128mm.
Zoom lens is pretty much a must, tele or wide angle. People rarely use fixed mm lens, like a lens that is 100mm fixed. Only the really really professional photographer use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts