SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Dr.Med. Tom Green
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i am thinking about going to India. But which city should i choose? I would go in February, March or April next year for 5-6 nights.

The advantage of Dehli over Mumbai is that Dehli has a metro. This is very important for me. I learned in Bangkok and Dubai that nothing sucks as much as spending holidays in the traffic jam.

·
Or is it?
10,769 Posts
I say if you want to visit a country, avoid the cities...

Only go to cities if you're interested in seeing the city itself

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Hi,

i am thinking about going to India. But which city should i choose? I would go in February, March or April next year for 5-6 nights.

The advantage of Dehli over Mumbai is that Dehli has a metro. This is very important for me. I learned in Bangkok and Dubai that nothing sucks as much as spending holidays in the traffic jam.
Delhi is good place to start , quite an amalgamation of cultures from Mughal , British and contemporary india . As marathaman added you could visit the suburbs of Gurgaon and Noida which should give you a perfect picture of urban India.

Apart from that if you don't want to travel West till mumbai then a short tour of the state of Rajasthan is definitely recommended with the cities of Jaipur , Jaiselmer and Udaipur. The weathers good there and in Delhi if you plan to go around Feb. especially.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Yeah Delhi will rightly give you the correct picture of INDIA... as its called " INDiA in One City"

it wud work as u'll get to see the changes happening and the urban development to the best possible extent in whole india...but yeah try to visit in the month of december or january...best time..

enjoy ur stay

·
City Of Brotherly Love
659 Posts
I have been to India four times in the last dozen years. On one trip I was there for 3 months, and for another 1 month (the other two were shorter stays).

If you're only going for a few days, I suggest you go to New Delhi and do the "triangle tour" of Delhi, Jaipur (in Rajastan), and Agra. That way you can see the Taj Mahal. I can recommend a tour agent in New Delhi who can get you anything from a car and driver to train tickets.

·
121,773 Posts
Probably a stretch to do Mumbai and Delhi in one shot. Taj Mahal can probably be a day trip out of Delhi. Mumbai has a lot of nice architecture in the city centre. The mix of styles is quite interesting, although staying at a decent hotel may be a bit more problematic these days as the key 5* hotels in the city centre were bombed last year. They're open now but I still feel a stigma attached to it ... considering I lived in the Oberoi when I visited there. Can't imagine thinking some of the people who served me may be dead now.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Probably a stretch to do Mumbai and Delhi in one shot. Taj Mahal can probably be a day trip out of Delhi. Mumbai has a lot of nice architecture in the city centre. The mix of styles is quite interesting, although staying at a decent hotel may be a bit more problematic these days as the key 5* hotels in the city centre were bombed last year. They're open now but I still feel a stigma attached to it ... considering I lived in the Oberoi when I visited there. Can't imagine thinking some of the people who served me may be dead now.
If you'd posted this about 5 days earlier, I'd have said "lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place"...and then the Jakarta bombings happened.

·
Registered
366 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Its really hark to choose. Both Delhi and Mumbai a beautiful. It depends what you want to see. If you want to see stuff in the south of India choose Mumbai. If you want to see stuff in the north of India choose Delhi.

_______

But hotels weren't bombed. They were attacked by Pakistani gunmen.
F**K Them! Hope they rot in hell!

·
Banned
4,221 Posts
Delhi's a good city to visit if you're looking to take a history lesson in Indian architecture. The city's got great food. Good road infrastructure and of course the metro, makes it relatively easy to get around. Agra (Taj Mahal) isn't far away, neither is Jaipur.
If you're looking to soak in all that India has to offer (for the most part) in one place, I'd choose south Asia's most cosmopolitan city, Bombay. The city has an efficient railway network running the length of the island but its nowhere as clean or comfortable as Delhi's metro services. Getting around by black-and-yellow taxi and other car service companies is cheap and uncomplicated. Goa (which most people would highly recommend) is a 45 minute flight away.
South Asia's most vibrant metropolis has tons to keep you busy, and yeah, Bombay is the region's skyscraper capital!

Have fun in Delhi, but don't give Bombay a miss on your next trip to India. :)

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I haven't been to Delhi, so I can't comment on it, but if you're looking to be a bit adventurous (i.e. not eating at luxurious hotels) with food, then Bombay and Goa is certainly the place to go. Even the McDonalds is worth a try for local tastes.

But be prepared, it's probably not the "Indian" food you're used to.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts