Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Make sure you take a pint of Joey Holts' before you leave, The Old Monkey, Portland St will do!
I know there's some great ales to be had in Kemptown, but yer northern beer's a bit more lively!

·
Registered
13,367 Posts
Do not go in the Old Monkey. Have a pint of Hydes in the Grey Horse a pint of Holts in the Ape and Apple then go to the City Arms on Kennedy St and have one of their selection and sit in the back room.

Do not go in the Old Monkey.

·
Registered
846 Posts
A very beery slant to the responses so far !!

My recommendation would be the Marble Arch on Rochdale road ... check out Skyline Central on the way.

On a non-beery theme :

Urbis is worth a look
As is the Science & Tech museum
Have a wander round castle field
Try and get into Cloud 23 in the Hilton
The big wheel.
Manchester Museum is supposed to be good on Oxford Road.
The Gaucho grill is excellent for eats, as is Gardo (Spanish).
Imperial War + Lowry on the Quays.

... the old Monkey sucks.

·
Registered
13,930 Posts
Make sure you do the Science and Industry museum. Seriously, its absolutely fantastic. I'd argue it being one of the best museums in the world, and its free. There is also an interesting exhibit of dead bodies on at the minute.

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
Make sure you do the Science and Industry museum. Seriously, its absolutely fantastic. I'd argue it being one of the best museums in the world, and its free. There is also an interesting exhibit of dead bodies on at the minute.
my threepenyworth:

- go into the Royal Exchange. Mancs take it for granted, but every visitor I have taken in there finds it jaw-dropping. A room the size of a cathedral, with a full-sized theatre suspended in the middle of it. Plus good shops, bars and a restaurant as well.

- take a ride on a Metro-shuttle bus, they are free, and criss-cross the city centre, connecting the rail stations and bus terminals. Everything worth seeing is on one or another of the three routes, and youget a good view of the streetscape.

- The Rylands Library on Deansgate is a brilliant building, and the exhibitions are unparallelled. For example a portion of a New Testament manuscript dated before 150 AD. If you are into Libraries, there is also Chethams Library and School, Five hundred years old, and a real-life version of Hogwarts.

- And for a drink in a spectacularly well preserved Edwardian pub, I recommend Mr Thomas's Chop House.

·
Insert witty comment here
444 Posts
Am i not welcome in your city or something ? IM NOT SCOTTISH !
Now you've cleared that up - of course you're welcome here!

anyhow its only pissed up glaswegians that arent welcome

Like nerd said, go to Mr. Thomas's chop house on Cross St it sticks out like a sore thumb cos its such an old pub. Other cool bars that i like are Oyster Bar and the Duke of Wellington opposite Selfridges, good for a mid-shopping pint.

And as mentioned above the Royal Exchange is worth a visit too

Pop into the Hilton's Cloud 23 for a few drinks before a night out

Get yourself to Old Trafford too if youve never been - dont go to the City of Manchester Stadium

Science and Industry museum isnt bad either

1 - 16 of 16 Posts