SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Return
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please leave suggestions and comment's. I am looking for anything from clubs to undiscovered landmarks and other interesting places. Also keep in mind that I am not a rich guy (yet) so prices should be fair. Once I get back I will gladly share my pic's of the cities project's and my adventures of the place of my birth.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
1. Start with Red Square + Kremlin with museums threin.
http://www.kreml.ru/main_en.asp

Historical Museum on the Red Square is worth a visit (plus there is a restaraunt up there with a good view of Red Square)

Seeing Lenin's pickled corpse is optional. But it's free. :)

Red Square is worth coming back a few times - entering it from different angles in different weather and time of the day. Always can hang out a little in Aleksnder Garden and Manege Square.

If there is a good exhibition in Manege - stop by.

2. Take a boat tour from Kolomenkoe to Rechnoj Vokzal. Choose a sunny day.

3. Tret'jakov Gallery (main building in Zamoskvorechje), it's second building known as Central House of Artists (Tsentralnyj Dom Khudozhika na Krymskom Valu) and Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts - each of the three can take a full day. Plus, do not forget Soviet-time sculpture exhibition in the backyard of TsDKh.

When visiting Pushkin museum of Fine Arts you can stop by Cathedral of Christ the Savior.

Overall - there are dozens of great museum around the city (Soviet Army, Russian Folk Museum, Museum of History of Moscow, Museum of Metro, etc.) - I am not sure how much time you plan to spend in museums... a month will not be enough.

4. Theatres, theatres, theatres... Plus Moscow Conservatory and several other great music halls. If you are in Moscow for a month - you can have a great and reasonably inexpensive outing every night. Bolshoj opera and ballet are great, but it is only a start.

Again, I do not know your tastes, so it it is difficult to eleborate.

5. Novodevichij Convent + cemetery. As with everything else - it will pay off to do some homework about what you expect to see. Like, who are those Russians buried there, and what they mean to the country and the world.

6. A walk around Garden Ring. A knowledgeable guide would make a huge difference, but even without any guides it is a great walk.

7. VDNKh, Ostankino Estate and Ostankino TV Tower. These are three totally separate things, but located not far from each other. Not sure if the TV tower is currently open for visitors or not. As far as views from it - I was dissappointed a little, as there are no tall buildings nearby.

Regarding VDNKh - I wish it were better maintained, but in any case I would try not to miss it.

8. As far as views of the city from above... It is much better to arrange getting up as many as possible of the 7 sisters and perhaps Triumph Palace. Hotel Ukraina may not be available, as it is under renovation; Foreign Affairs (MID) is ruled out for obvious reasons... Maybe some forumers can help? You would need help, unfortunately.

7. Troice-Sergievskaja Lavra - a day round-trip by commuter train to the heart of Russian Orthodox Church in the town of Sergiev Posad. Also, feel free to enter churches in the city. They are usually open not only for Sunday Service.

8. Travel by metro. If not in a hurry - step out of the train to check out the stations. Some are worth it.

9. Parks and Estates: Arkhangelskoe, Tsaritsino, Kuskovo, Sheremetjevo, Kolomenskoe, Ostankino, etc.

Park Pobedy with WWII museum on Poklonnaja Gora.
Neskuchnyj Sad (Gorky park)
Botanical Garden
Krylatskie Holmy
Izmajlovskij Park
Sokolniki
etc.

Do not forget take a look of Moscow from the high bank of Sparrow Hills (Vorobjevy Gory) - btw, this is the place wher Master and Margarita novel ends. If you have not read it - do it, spend $10 on amazon.com, they may turn out the best $10 you ever spend.

10. Pretty sure you will stop by IBC construction site. Then visit the Victory park, it is not very far.

11. I would choose a trustworhy company of 2-3 locals and go to a good Russian banya. Suppose you were given a ticket to time-travel to ancient Rome, would you pass on a chance to take bath with Romans?

OK, I am tired, maybe somebody else can pick up from here.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Unfortunately I do not know much about places to eat that are both good and reasonably priced. In late Soviet times and early post-Soviet there were a number of good Georgean restaurants - for 20-30 bucks per person you could get authentic Georgean food, and wine was cheap too. Those days are long gone, I beleive. Now, there are a lot of Uzbek places, but in the ones I tried the food was nothing like real Uzbek food :(

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
It would be great if we can make this a sticky post and fill it up with more info. This could be useful for many people.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Regarding seeing Moscow from above - there are several cafe/bars open to public

1. Swissotel Krasnye Holmy
2. Russian Academy of Sciences
3. Hotel Ukraina

Not sure if Ukraina is open now, if not - it will after they finish renovations.

Two most popular places to buy matrioshkas and other memorabilia are Old Arbat and
Izmajlovo. Both are worth visiting; prices are lower in Izmajlovo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts