SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Used User
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...
I'm planning to go to The Netherlands in two weeks to visit a friend in Amsterdam. But before going to Amsterdam I (plus four friends) wanna spend a day in a smaller Dutch city on our way to Amsterdamn (from Denmark). We just wanna hang around for a day in a small beautiful city.
And I would like to hear if you had any recommendations. Would prefer a city north of Amsterdam.

·
49,372 Posts
Denmark - Netherlands is a good ride, i drove if last saturday from Odense to Zwolle in 6 hours (max speed about 140km/h). I would recommend Groningen. Emmen is boring, and Zwolle is nice, but not very special.

Try to avoid the A7 in Hamburg when there is a long traffic jam southbound. 2 weeks ago, that traffic jam was 30km long, you'd probably better go around via the A1, but maybe you do that already. (Rødby - Puttgarden?)
Hamburg - Bremen is very busy, with often traffic jams.

If you travel in the weekend, and you decide not to go to Groningen or another city in the Dutch "far" north, you'd better go via Bremen - Cloppenburg - Meppen - Emmen - Zwolle, excellent route, and few trucks in the weekend. I did Bremen - Zwolle in 2 hours. Shorter and faster than the motorway route via Oldenburg and Leer.

·
POTTEN
279 Posts
Utrecht would be good. It's not too big, and enough to do. With a bit of luck (nice weather) you can drink a bockbeer at the oude gracht. And it's close to Amsterdam.

But Groningen is very nice too, lots of students, nice atmosphere. And it's on the route (as is Utrecht).

·
Registered Abuser
4,584 Posts

·
Used User
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I going by car from Tønder in the southern part of Denmark - so I have to go through Hamburg. I'll leave early morning on a Tuesday and hope that the traffic around HH will not be to bad around 11 (it probably is - as always).

Thanks for all the replies! :yes:

As it is now I think it will be Gronningen...looks interesting...are there any forumers from Gronningen that could recommend a nice and cheap place to stay for 5 drunken guys from Denmark? Hostel f.x.?

·
Registered
969 Posts
With no doubt Groningen (pop. 180.000) or Utrecht (pop. 300.000)!

I think I would go for a drink @ the 'Oude Gracht' or 'Neude' in Utrecht. If it's a rainy day you can shop in one of the bigger (in-door) shoppingcenters of the Netherlands called 'Hoog Catharijne' (near the Central station).

·
Banned
7,712 Posts
I don't think someone from Denmark will think of Utrecht as a small city ... Groningen would be Denmark's second or third city in size. Utrecht isn't much smaller than Denmark's capital. Great cities, yet therefore rather competing with Amsterdam.

Zutphen is very beautiful; other suggestions would be to visit Naarden and Muiden. Kampen is quiet and quite nice. Deventer, as Quintana mentioned. Kampen, Zwolle, Hattem, Deventer and Zutphen are all Hanseatic cities with little war damage. They form a string of cities along the river IJssel. In fact our country's earliest skyline!

·
Used User
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^ I would go to this hostel. Was there a month ago. Fairly cheap and easygoing. Simplon: [http://www.simplonjongerenhotel.nl/
Thanks for the hint, I'll have a look at it!:)

I don't think someone from Denmark will think of Utrecht as a small city ... Groningen would be Denmark's second or third city in size. Utrecht isn't much smaller than Denmark's capital. Great cities, yet therefore rather competing with Amsterdam.
Think population wise that both Gronningen and Utrecht would be considered as the third largest city in Denmark (if they where Danish). Think they both are smaller than Århus but larger than Aalborg or Odense.:)
But think a city of that size is perfect for a day-trip:)

·
Just another user
4,930 Posts
I like to think of Utrecht as a smaller version of Amsterdam, without the sex and drugs.
I think you have never been to Utrecht..... Utrecht also has a red light zone, a lot of junks etc etc.

Anyway, Groningen is more on route then Utrecht. Both are beautifull cities, but IMO Utrecht is more unique because of it canals:

If you go to Amsterdam you need to find a place to park your car. Parking in the centre is very expensive and space very limited, so don't even try. You can park your car for free in the North side of Amsterdam and walk to the ferry at the back of Central Station (veer Buiksloterweg):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.385632,4.908872&spn=0.015166,0.034676&z=15&om=1
Parking in the North side of the town is also the side of arrival if you pass the "aflsuitdijk" highway A8, which is the route from Groningen.
Walking from area "van der Pekstraat" to ferry is 5-15 minutes, so not far. The ferry takes you for free to the Central Station were you can buy public transport tickets or rent a bike.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
As it is now I think it will be Gronningen...looks interesting...are there any forumers from Gronningen that could recommend a nice and cheap place to stay for 5 drunken guys from Denmark? Hostel f.x.?
I would recommend Groningen because of your wish to get drunk... Groningen has lots of (cheap) pubs because of it's large population of students. Anyway, have a lot of fun in ??? as well as in Amsterdam.

·
Administrator
29,632 Posts
For the convenience of Dutch posters:

Come to [insert: name of your town]!!! It really is a great place with fantastic shops, fancy bars and restaurants and even the girls look better here then anywhere else. Make sure to check out our [insert: local tallest building] and [insert: local square with pubs] for these are really something else. Do not go to [insert: nearest equal size city] for it sucks. It is not as good as [insert: name of your town]. You will not regret!!! More info: www .[insert: name of your town]isthebestplaceintheworld.nl

1 - 20 of 280 Posts