Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good marketing ploy to bring in the tourists?

From The Gold Coast Bulletin

Surfers to copy Big Apple
Geoff Chambers

July 22nd, 2009

THE city's heart will be rebranded as a mini-Manhattan in an attempt to attract locals back into Surfers Paradise.

The Surfers Paradise Alliance has launched an audacious marketing campaign that will split the suburb into five sections.

It will also influence future planning applications and potentially alter designs of high-rise buildings to retain the 'atmosphere' of the new mini-suburbs.

Based on the 'Manhattan model', the sections will be known as Northside, Esplanade, Central, West Quay and Southside.

SPA chief executive Rowena Howe yesterday compared the Surfers Paradise sections to New York's SoHo, Meatpacking District, Tribeca and Chinatown.

Ms Howe's blueprint, which has been endorsed by senior councillors, has taken months to prepare.

The approach will target specific age demographics and is intended to attract Gold Coasters back to the tourist suburb.

"The New York model is a great starting point," said Ms Howe.

"Manhattan is not just one giant city. It offers different experiences and cultural tastes within a larger catchment area."

Ms Howe said the marketing project team had looked outside the box.

Have your say on the feedback form below

Surfers Paradise was described by Ms Howe's project team as sharing similarities with 'Las Vegas, Times Square, Waikiki and Orlando'.

As part of the marketing plan, street banners with individual markers and images will pinpoint the new sections.

Tourism operators and taxi drivers are to also promote the brands -- which will offer different attractions and festivals.

"This is not going to be a short-term project. This is going to take five years plus to see it becoming part of lingo in the local community and before it takes off nationally and internation-ally," she said.

"This is not about freezing out families coming to the Coast for an affordable holiday. When we talk about culture, it shouldn't be confused with high society or opulence."

The SPA and council masterplan for Surfers Paradise will position the mini-precincts as offering different experiences for tourists and locals, both day and night.

Festivals and cross-pro-motional events are being planned by the SPA, including a Eurofest and a model search competition to co-incide with the Australian Swim Fashion Week.

The Southside region will represent a 'funky and older' Surfers Paradise, with restaurants and nightclubs mirroring the environment, including Nicolini's Restaurant and Swingin' Safari.

"We've been talking with the city planning department which has backed this plan," said Ms Rowe.

"The thinking is that as new developments emerge and the skyline evolves these buildings will continue to retain the area's atmosphere at the ground level."

Community and Cultural Development chairman Cr Bob La Castra said he would like to see the number of precincts peeled back to just three.

"We aren't exactly Manhattan," said Cr La Castra.

"I understand the premise behind the strategy but I think the less-is-more approach could work here."

The SPA will fund the marketing strategy from its $3.43 million budget

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
well this gets the thumbs down by the general public...most dont like it only some of the
business leaders....sounds silly to me ----surfers--- aint no---- new york all they need to do are projects like the hilton --soul--- fixing the beach roads around the sites walk ways --plazas -malls etc let surfers find its own style without copying new york maybe miami if they want to copy...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
yeah im not sure about it. I just dont think surfers is big enough to start "segragating" it. New York yeah sure that works but they're using an example someplace that is larger.

I dont mind the idea, as the article indicates they're not trying to make it like New York style by any means (that would be ridiculous), they're only using the model of separate neighbourhoods representing separate atmospheres.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Plus the two cities are vastly different. NY is a fast paced, highly densified, dark city. Gold Coast is more like a relaxed, spacious, sunny, getaway city. They should go for their own identity.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I dont mind the idea, as the article indicates they're not trying to make it like New York style by any means (that would be ridiculous), they're only using the model of separate neighbourhoods representing separate atmospheres.
But that's common in any big cities even in Europe or Asia, nothing unique to NY.

The size of Surfers Paradise is appropriate to be considered as one neighbourhood. Dividing it up into 5 sections is so unnecessary and that's over regulating.

·
Citadis Rider
748 Posts
But that's common in any big cities even in Europe or Asia, nothing unique to NY.

The size of Surfers Paradise is appropriate to be considered as one neighbourhood. Dividing it up into 5 sections is so unnecessary and that's over regulating.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. Northern Surfers is nothing like the area around Cavill Ave, except for the size of the buildings. The area around Budds Beach is different again.

I agree that 5 is too many. 3 distinct areas would capture the Cavill / 'main' area, the northern parts (older less recent development fading into Main Beach and a lot more recreation) and the generally newer southern parts around Northcliffe (virtually all apartments).

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a visitor to the Gold Coast, I think that the suburbs and communities that make up the Gold Coast have their own identities that council should promote. Even encourgage particulalr types of developments in certain areas to encourage it.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm not sure some of the people here are understanding what this is all about. It's not about trying to make the city 'like' any other city. It's not about duplication. It's about using a successful model and marketing it. New York is just an example. There are many others which are more informal. Brisbane for example, you have the legal district(North Quarter), retail district (Queen Street), Business district (Eagle Street). Sydney has it as well. You might even argue Melbourne has it (Paris End vs New York End).

It's the same concept. This already exists in Surfers, but it's just not formalised. 1)Budds Beach, 2)Surfers from North to View Ave, 3)View Ave to Hamilton Ave, 4)South of Hamilton Ave.

All these areas are distinctly different and have different characters.

This project is simply to formalise those distinctions and give actual names to the areas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts