Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good, seems to be working now.

Always love visiting the coast, so much has changed since I went there as a kid in the 70's. But bits are still the same, and even now there are some of the original holiday shacks next to scrapers. You just have to look a little harder for them.

Focus is one of the buildings I always look out for. It was the Q1 of it's day when I was a kid. It seemed so cool back then, round towers were pretty rare amongst the boxes.

I also notice this other Gold Coast old timer is getting a makeover. Mostly getting rid of the balconies, which makes it look better from outside, and in light of some recent tragedies is probably safer for young tenants. But still, if I lived there, I'd want to keep a balcony.

Cavill Avenue is sadly looking a bit neglected. The area that once had the terrific Grundy's waterslides on the corner of the Esplanade looks terrible, still. Making Hungry Jacks and McDonalds a little less prominent would be a good start in fixing Cav Av, and the Orchard Av area looks a bit seedy.

I didn't take a picture, but it was sad to see the classic Iluka gone, and now just a green space. I don't know what the plans are, but along with the Sands, the Islander and Focus, Iluka is one I would have liked to have seen kept.

·
Banned
9,681 Posts
Great shots, geez Soul looks good, it really steals Q1's thunder a fair bit.

I don't miss Ikula, still plenty of 60/70s ugly boxes left, what I do miss is the replacement that was supposed to go in for Ikula - the new raptis tower. Unfortunately Raptis got taken out in the GFC, and with it that and the ANA towers:( *sniff*

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
As for the building "losing" balconies they will not really lose them. They'll simply be enclosed which would allow use in all weather conditions.

The Focus Building will always be one of my favourite oldies on the strip simply because of its likeness to Australia Square Tower in Sydney.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts