SkyscraperCity banner

5181 - 5200 of 7813 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You're right MelbGuy, the light rail should clearly be scrapped and dismantled because other people can't follow basic road rules...

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
OneMelbGuy, its time to get over been sacked by GoldLinq, the system is a raging success and your claims have proven to be grossly incorrect.

·
Banned
738 Posts
WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

Light rail in Orleans. A simple devastating UNARGUABLE demonstration of why the Gold Coast's light rail system, with its monstrously ugly forest of poles and wiring, is a massive appalling third-rate blunder. Note too the lack of disfiguring signage and road markings. That's not just because of greater aesthetic sensitivity, which the French have in spades: it's because, as research has shown, the lack of them cultivate a greater awareness of the surroundings.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have spent some time on the Gold Coast since the light rail has been introduced. Tram tracks, lane markings and signs make things pretty clear. Although I do spend some time driving in Melbourne and am used to trams...

Seems driver education is the key moving forward. As for the tourists or out-of-towners...........

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

Light rail in Orleans. A simple devastating UNARGUABLE demonstration of why the Gold Coast's light rail system, with its monstrously ugly forest of poles and wiring, is a massive appalling third-rate blunder. Note too the lack of disfiguring signage and road markings. That's not just because of greater aesthetic sensitivity, which the French have in spades: it's because, as research has shown, the lack of them cultivate a greater awareness of the surroundings.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXSRZRXaN4">YouTube Link</a>
Just go and light some poo on fire on KDR's door step already.

·
Chip on my shoulder (BBQ)
3,135 Posts
It kills onemelbguy that the light rail is already a success with higher than predicted patronage. It means that future stages are now a certainty. He must be beside himself at this prospect.

Interestingly, I saw several trams at 5.30 pm yesterday and they were all full with many people standing. It is obviously picking up rush hour office workers.This is good news, as I thought its primary appeal would be tourists, uni students and health care/hospital workers.

·
Registered
240 Posts
....light rail is already a success with higher than predicted patronage. It means that future stages are now a certainty.

Interestingly, I saw several trams at 5.30 pm yesterday and they were all full with many people standing. It is obviously picking up rush hour office workers.This is good news...
:banana: :banana:

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Majority of Gold Coast City councillors back light rail to Helensvale - except Bob La Castra

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...pt-bob-la-castra/story-fnj94idh-1227033659860

ALL but one of the Gold Coast City councillors wants a second stage of the light rail project before the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

In perhaps his best starring role yet, former Neighbours actor and Bananas in Pyjamas writer Bob La Castra refused to support the tram extension – because he wants more buses.

“I do not support the Helensvale option at all or light rail in any form,” the Carrara councillor said.

“I do support rapid buses and think that there should be an east-west link from Broadbeach to Carrara and Nerang which I think makes sense.”

In a major step towards fulfilling the State Government’s requirements for approving the second stage of light rail, Cr La Castra’s 14 councillor colleagues were all supportive of a northern link connecting Griffith University to Helensvale.

In a recent council survey, 93 per cent of 1700 people polled wanted a light rail extension to Helensvale.

Southport, Helensvale, Surfers Paradise, Labrador, Upper Coomera, Arundel, Hope Island, Mudgeeraba, Pacific Pines and Robina were the leading suburbs wanting an extension, the survey found.

Premier Campbell Newman, Deputy Premier Jeff Seeney and Transport Minister Scott Emerson also want the light rail extended.

Among those throwing their weight behind the project is long-time tram critic Lex Bell, who said stage two was necessary to improve public transport on the Coast.

“I have long been critical of light rail and feel strongly for those who lost their businesses, however I would support getting stage two for the city,” he said.

However, councillors are yet to decide how much the city’s contribution will be towards the second stage.

Mr Emerson confirmed a “Brisbane-to-beach” link would require a “substantial contribution” from the council and support of all Coast MPs.

Mayor Tom Tate has proposed the council fund 12.4 per cent of the project’s total cost, as well as the work to be performed by private enterprise.

Premier Campbell Newman last month said he wanted the light rail extension.

More than 3040 people have already signed an online petition launched by business leaders, which supports linking the trams to heavy rail at Helensvale.

The petition by the Southport Chamber of Commerce is sponsored by Southport MP Rob Molhoek.

It closes on November 24.

Even Lex Bell is behind it and this La Castrate fool isn't :lol:

·
Moon Transit
1,948 Posts
A 'Draft Transport Strategic Plan' for the 2018 sports events has been made for consultation.

Not surprisingly, its pretty much similar to existing arrangements for events: park and ride areas and loads of shuttle buses to venues. The main difference seems to be the number of simultaneous events/venues and the duration.

This, along with all the other fuss surrounding the games, likely to be more interesting than watching the actual games themselves.

Plan: http://www.gc2018.com/flux-content/GC2018/pdf/TransportStrategicPlan.pdf

GCB Article: http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...-most-spectators/story-fnj94idh-1227040447816

5181 - 5200 of 7813 Posts