Skyscraper City Forum banner

Rate the Golden Temple & leave some comments!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Distant glory
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm surprised this temple hasn't got its own thread here yet. So I decided to start one. :D

Amritsar is the holiest site of Sikhism, the foremost religion of the Indian state of Punjab.

From Wikipedia:
The Golden Temple is also known as Harmandir Sahib or Hari Mandir by the Sikhs. Located in Amritsar, Punjab, India, this beautiful building is the most important sacred shrine for the Sikhs, who travel from all parts of the world to pay their respects to this, their most important historic site.

Originally, this site was a small lake, surrounded by a thin forest. Travellers and holy people used the site for meditation and rest. These visitors recognised it as special for its tranquillity and pure & sweet water.

The lake was enlarged and a small community was established during the leadership of the fourth Sikh Guru (Guru Ram Das, 1574-1581). It was during the leadership of the fifth Guru (Guru Arjan, 1581-1606), that the Golden Temple was built. A Muslim saint Hazrat Mian Mir ji of Lahore in December 1588 initiated the construction of this wonderful building by laying the foundation stone.
It's gilded with over 750 kg of gold. ;)

The pics below were originally posted by Suncity, RajKhalsa and kshatriya, from here and here.

·
Premium Member
16,254 Posts
This is a 10.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ellatur said:
9.5/10
so whats in the shrine?
The Sri Harmandir Sahib, or the Temple of God, is the holiest place of the Sikh Religion, and is one of the biggest pilgrimage centers in India. People of every faith go and pray there.

The Siri Guru Granth Sahib, the holy book of the Sikhs, is installed in the complex.

:cheers:

·
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.
3,381 Posts
This is simply amazing. I've been there (only when I was like 2 years old :p) but I want to go there again. I've seen pics of the interior and it's equally impressing.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts