SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks like a mammoth project underway unlike the much delayed Dharavi.
It's a redevelopment of a 140-acre slum south west of CSIA. The project cost is pegged at Rs 3500 crores
60,000 families are being relocated. They've already cleaned out part of the slums as is evident from the pics below. Shivalik seems to be doing a smooth job so far and the residents too seem happy, or thats what the website claims.

The Santacruz - Golibar project is the largest SRA project to be undertaken so far. It is located between the Western Expressway and Western Railway in Santacruz East.

Slum Rehabilitation/Construction Updates : Source

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yo, Six sigma, that picture size is no where near six-sigma quality. Please reduce the size. ;)

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
So how tall (storey-wise) will these SRAs be?
In one of the buildings already constructed, I found the symmetry to be alarming.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
^^^^^^ This one !

Or, are my eyes playing games?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yo, Six sigma, that picture size is no where near six-sigma quality. Please reduce the size. ;)
Hmm - I don't have access to ImageShack (firewall) at work- I'll change it when I get home!!

So how tall (storey-wise) will these SRAs be?
In one of the buildings already constructed, I found the symmetry to be alarming.
They've simply taken out the horizontal slums and created vertical ones instead. Hopefully, the Apartments that will come up here will hide this, possibly behind a facade.
Still, its much better compared to SHANTIES!
I'm surprised how no one is raising a hue and cry over this project. Typically, India has so many cooks that someone ALWAYS creates a controversy when a large project is involved- even when that controversy is not needed!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I dont know how many storey high this bldgs are . They might probably might have lifts as well since its developed by a private developer. But most govt sra projects are around 3 or more 7-10 storeys with no facility of lifts or anything .

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^ Do they really climb up 10 freaking floors with out lift??? This sounds like a good project BTW. Get the multiple small slums first and the big ones like Dharavi will follow and turn themselves in if they see its good for them. Small ones are easier to tackle as the crooks and commies dont have interest in them. Also I dont mind if they leave out Dharavi as long as they sweep out all the small slums by 2020 one after another.

·
Registered
277 Posts
^^ Oops my bad. 120 acre is huge but it is not that popular or as popular as Dharavi so there may not be much publicity at stake for the crooks to disrupt but I could be wrong. It is surprising how no one ever complained or make fuss about this? Finally some good news of getting rid of these slums not just for the sake of aesthetics of the city but also for the people living in filthy conditions. They can finally get some sanitation

·
Registered
631 Posts
I dont have any pics but there are couple of slum redevelop programme going on along the weh in all the suburbs with the majorone going on at malad jogeshwari and borivali.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont have any pics but there are couple of slum redevelop programme going on along the weh in all the suburbs with the majorone going on at malad jogeshwari and borivali.
Hmm. But dyu think GOLIBAR redevelopment would be visible from the highway?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Any news on the Worli slum cluster redevelopment? I heard lokhkhanda infrastructure were looking to redevelop all the slums around the four seasons hotel? Is this going anywhere?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like a warzone down there!
And I didn't know Medha Patkar had left the Narmada Bachao Aandolan, the Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha anti KFC Aandola and was now in the Ghar Bachao Aandolan in Mumbai?
But they are demolishing the slums slowly...

“‘These people want five star treatment or what?’ is what one of the developer’s lackies had said about us,’ Says Devansandhan Nair, of Ganesh Krupa Society, of Golibar in Santa Cruz, Mumbai. He is just one of 184 families who have refused to empty their homes for developers under the Slum Rehabilitation Act.

‘There is something fundamentally wrong with how the elite sees slums in Mumbai.’ Continues Devansandan, in perfect english.

On the 9th of November, 2010, over 300 policemen descended into Ganesh Krupa Society, of Golibar in Santa Cruz, Mumbai.

They would break down two homes of a slum that already looks ravaged by an earthquake – every second home has been broken down, debris lies in every corner of a landscape of broken brick and stone .

One home belonged to Dadabhai Pandre, and the other to Ansari Abdul Hasan who lived at the edge of the slum. Ansari Abdul Hasan didn’t want to leave his home. Neither did his wife or his daughter. Yet behind everyone’s back, his son had accepted rent-compensation – Rs.7000 for 22 months – a total of 1,54,000.

‘I had asked for two days to empty my home, and the MHADA fellow said he won’t give me even two hours.’ Said Mr.Hasan. When Mr.Hasan was asked to why his son accepted compensation, he said, ‘My son said there’s no point fighting or resisting when everyone’s house is going to break.’

Out of 370 homes, 184 homes of Ganesh Krupa Society remain. In neighbouring Sambaji Seva Nagar Society, one home remains. In Shivaji Nagar Society, 4 homes remain.

There are around 69 societies in Golibar that have to make way to a ‘project that has the vision to develop mixed use integrated development of Residential Skyscrapers, State of art Commercial buildings, High-end Retail and Hospitality ventures.’ – or ‘Santa City’, according to Unitech’s website, ‘the flagship project of Unitech in Mumbai in partnership with Shivalik Ventures. Spread over 140 acres, this is one of the single largest slum rehabilitation projects in Mumbai.’

Unitech Group’s name has already featured extensively in numerous reports in the 1.7 Lakh Crore 2G scam, and almost every other resident remaining in Golibar, from those who have had their homes broken down, to those who are resisting ‘rehabilitation’ and demolition, think that their ‘slum rehabilitation project’ is a scam as well. Not only have Unitech/Shivalik started to build on 62 acres of Air force Land without getting an NOC from the Ministry, but almost no one since 2008 has gotten a flat under the SRA scheme yet, even though homes are broken down at a regular rate, often illegally and under duress and intimidation.

When the first buildings were built for the residents of Pragati Society of Golibar, people felt at ease with the developers. But eventually people believed that that was nothing but a ruse, especially as news started to spread that the current developers Shivalik had managed to acquire the project without competitive bidding, or the knowledge of the majority of slum dwellers. A little known clause in the Slum Rehabilitation Act had helped Shivalik/Unitech to become the only developer of Golibar.

This was discovered when the slum-dwellers used the Right To Information Act. And yet that was not the only thing that they discovered.

Aba Tandel, around 65 years old, grew up in Golibar right before the fences of the Airforce land, and when he saw Shivalik/Unitech building on their land, he along with other residents, were quick to file RTIs, and eventually alert the authorities at the Airforce. The Airforce now wants those buildings demolished and the matter is yet to be settled in the Courts.

The slum dwellers of Golibar have been supported by Medha Patkar and the National Alliance For People’s Movement’s, which, along with Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan have spoken up for the rights of the poor on housing issues for a couple of years now. And how have the authorities reacted to the insecurities of the slum dwellers in the rest of Mumbai?

On the 25th of March, 2009, the slum dwellers of Mumbai had marched to the Slum Rehabilitation and MHADA office to talk to the officials about the irregularities, the numerous frauds in the SRA project and that a majority of the people are still languishing in Transit camps, or resettlement colonies.

Simpreet Singh of Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan was a part of the meeting.

Source : Link

1 - 20 of 57 Posts