7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'EUROPA CITY'
Commercial, leisure and cultural complex for 'Greater Paris'

Construction: ?
Delivery expected: 2020/2021
Surface area: 600 000 m²
Winning project: B.I.G.(12/04/2013)
In the North-Eastern region of Paris lies a large plot of land called the Triangle de Gonesse which is in dire need of regeneration. Manuelle Gautrand Architecture have taken it upon themselves to conceive of a rather brilliant master plan to create a burgeoning mixed use development centre, Europa City, with the purpose of stimulating growth and vibrance in the vicinity.

The site will cover 600,000 square meters of land and will attempt to incorporate aspects of European life from across the continent – whether it is Alpine-esque ski slopes or ancient cave inspired design. Being so close to the Charles de Gaule Airport means that international travellers can get a holistic sense of European culture before hitting the streets and landscapes.

With such a large footprint on the land it is imperative that the project has a strong sustainability agenda. Fortunately, it does: the entire roof of the structure is green and walkable and permeates 100,000 square meters of the surrounding area. The greenery is also interspersed with a renewable energy network comprising of around 20,000 square meters of photovoltaic cells that helps to power the buildings and provides the kind of carbon offset mission that is necessary for sustainable development.

Overall, Europa City is an exciting prospect and could be the landmark gesture necessary to kick-start a revival of the province and feed new business and tourism into Paris.

WINNER

Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG)

FINALIST TEAMS

MANUELLE GAUTRAND

VALODE & PISTRE

SNOHETTA

____________________________________________________​

Schedule:​

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Unbeliveable! I hope this project to completion unaffected by europe financial criris

·
Lion007
11,224 Posts
It looks amaizing, wonderful in one of the biggest project. Dubai projects may be compared with this. First one is the best for me.

·
Barcelona lover
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are all the renderings for each project:

MANUELLE GAUTRAND​

VALODE & PISTRE​

SNOHETTA​

BIG​

Reactions: NaRc0t1c

·
Barcelona lover
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've added a poll folks, so feel free to have your say...Cheers :cheers:.

·
Technocrate darwiniste
12,646 Posts
^^ Thanks for the article :)

Concerning the project, does somebody know when the final design will be choosen ?
Moi je préfère celui de Snohetta ! :)

·
Registered
15,817 Posts
I don't like it. It appears to me to be in essence a fancy version of a suburban big box development. It is largely isolated from its surroundings by huge highways, the development is totally introverted. It also is of one piece, lacking a main feature of truly urban developments which is flexibility and modularity.

Please correct me if I am wrong but it appears to me that this is not all that mixed use after all. Basically its a huge shopping/culture/entertainment big box development somewhere around some highway junction with some attached hotel and possibly resorts.

Will it at least have some direct high priority public transportation connection?

·
Barcelona lover
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to the EuropaCity Team, the winning project is to be announced 'in the next few weeks'.

Reactions: 970467
1 - 20 of 29 Posts