SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From your standpoint, tell us which Southern cities or metro areas you consider to be good and bad for singles.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I think Tulsa is probably the better city in Oklahoma for singles. But I could just be bitter that I live in Norman and my girlfriend of 2 years lives in Stillwater. Still though, I really think Tulsa's scene for singles is a lot bigger. It's not confined to Bricktown like OKC's is, but Tulsa has Brady and Blue Dome, plus Brookside, Cherry Street, and other Midtown hotspots. Tulsa just "feels" more like a city of 2 million when it comes to having a cosmopolitan scene.

As far as Texas goes, this might surprise some people, but I think Dallas and Austin are about the same as OKC goes and Fort Worth is the bottom of the barrel. The city with the most diverse and expansive single hotspots is definitely Houston. Lots of bar districts, several universities, by far the most diverse city in Texas. For some reason diversity bodes well for hooking up, I don't know why. Guys and girls just seem more compatible in diverse environments. Dallas has that "Old Texas" vibe, Austin is just a big crazy college town, and OKC is just a corporate city.

Probably the best city for singles in the south is Atlanta, then very closely followed by Houston.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Its official, srg has either completely lost it or needs to get out of Oklahoma more. OKC is not even close to Austin when it comes to best places for singles.

Austin does have a huge college population both undergrad and grad students. Austins downtown nightlife is great. Has great diversity for not only college kids, but for slightly older crew as well. The local music scene is amazing, its attracting young college graduates in droves. Compare that to OKC which has some canal it ripped off from San Antonio.

For Tennessee:
Nashville-good
Memphis-bad
Knoxville-bad
Chattanooga-dont know, but probably bad

For Kentucky:
Louisville-good
Lexington-bad
NKY-steals Cincys singles, so bad

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Cashville, just stop posting. Please. I was just lumping them together as one of the suckier single scenes in this area. You're the kind of moron that doesn't even live in this region but let alone loves commenting and I still don't know why you expend the sheer volume of posts you do toward bashing OKC. It's remarkable, I would be shocked if you've spent a great deal of time in EITHER Oklahoma or Texas, I've lived all over both. OKC is too much of a corporate town that has a few nondescript hotspots, but other than Bricktown, nothing major. I already described why Austin's scene stinks. Or at least, classy it aint. Probably the same reason you gave Knoxville low marks. Too much orange anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd have to say Huntsville, AL is a bad place for singles...little to no young professionals in the area, to it's credit though. If you already have someone and looking for a place to settle down, it's a great place to raise a family...just a terrible place to date.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
So Austin is a big, crazy college town that has a scene that stinks? Or at least one with no class?

From your comments it would appear you know little about Austin.

Also, you bash Cashville for dissing OKC, yet you are bashing another city yourself.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'm not bashing Austin. Everyone knows that the live music scene is the best in the country. I don't credit Austin as having a very cosmopolitan singles scene though--that's Houston as far as my experiences in Texas go. And nobody bashes Cashville nearly enough as far as I am concerned, as an institutionalized contributor here, Cashville is one guy I'm sick of and he only has like a hundred posts. I didn't even see where Cashville dissed OKC other than personally attacking me as usual..

·
President of Catan
2,282 Posts
Louisville has gotten much better in the last 5-10 years. The Highlands has always been a great singles spot, along with Frankfort Ave and around Barret Ave, but Downtown and Old Louisville have become increasingly young and vibrant, Old Louisville being more hip and Downtown more cosmopolitan. UofL has greatly increased its out-of-state and out-of-city enrollment in just the past decade, adding a lot to local diversity and to Old Louisville. Bellarmine has also been expanding and increasing enrollment and has added to the Baxter corridor of the Highlands.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm not bashing Austin. Everyone knows that the live music scene is the best in the country. I don't credit Austin as having a very cosmopolitan singles scene though--that's Houston as far as my experiences in Texas go. And nobody bashes Cashville nearly enough as far as I am concerned, as an institutionalized contributor here, Cashville is one guy I'm sick of and he only has like a hundred posts. I didn't even see where Cashville dissed OKC other than personally attacking me as usual..
I disagree. Austin has plenty of high-end, sophisticated restaurants. There is theatre, opera, ballet, or symphony. Lots of great urban green space to have a picnic, or just enjoy the scenery. Also, Austin has many upscale lounges, nightclubs, etc.

I don't know if you've ever lived in Austin, or if you have just visited, but Austin has a lot more to offer than you seem to realize.

With that being said though, having a great live music scene, and tons of fun, unpretentious nightlife makes a pretty great singles scene on it's own.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Being from Miami, I can only speak for Miami. But in all honesty, I think Miami is a really good place for singles, especially in areas like South Beach, Brickell, Downtown and Coconut Grove. Brickell and South Beach especially, almost all single and young professionals.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I disagree. Austin has plenty of high-end, sophisticated restaurants. There is theatre, opera, ballet, or symphony. Lots of great urban green space to have a picnic, or just enjoy the scenery. Also, Austin has many upscale lounges, nightclubs, etc.

I don't know if you've ever lived in Austin, or if you have just visited, but Austin has a lot more to offer than you seem to realize.

With that being said though, having a great live music scene, and tons of fun, unpretentious nightlife makes a pretty great singles scene on it's own.
I've climbed bluffs along the Colorado River, eaten at some really nice restaurants on 6th and on Lake Travis (which I heard burnt down), and I even remember the days before Hard Rock Cafe closed its doors on 6th Street. I recognize all of these things that Austin has. But okay.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Okay....you are seventeen years old and apparently have visited Austin a few times, and you are going to be an expert on Austin's single's scene. Whatever, I'm not going to waste my time debating this with you.

By the way, the restaurant you speak of is Oasis. It was partially burned (not burnt) down a few years ago, and has since been rebuilt with many improvements. Just so you know though, the Oasis was never known as having particularly good food, it's popular for it's location and views. If you want to try some excellent food on Lake Travis, I would recommend Hudson's on the Bend. And if you're looking for some good eats downtown, Sixth Street is not your best bet. I might try McCormick&Schmicks, Eddie V's, Ruth's Chris, Finn&Porter, or any number of others. But I can't think of a single restaurant on 6th I would consider "really good".

Next time you visit, take off your crimson colored glasses, and maybe you'll see the great city of Austin in a new light. Hook 'em!:cheers:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Okay....you are seventeen years old and apparently have visited Austin a few times, and you are going to be an expert on Austin's single's scene. Whatever, I'm not going to waste my time debating this with you.

Next time you visit, take off your crimson colored glasses, and maybe you'll see the great city of Austin in a new light. Hook 'em!:cheers:
I'm not seventeen. And what's wrong with being seventeen? We were all seventeen once.. and why can't somebody just not love everything about your little corner of joy? I wasn't even bashing Austin, because I know that there are a ton of things Austin is great for. Cosmopolitan dating scene it is NOT. If I was bashing Austin by saying that then I was also bashing my hometown of OKC by saying that, which lol, trust me I would never do.

Take care and have a great night. Boomer.

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its official, srg has either completely lost it or needs to get out of Oklahoma more. OKC is not even close to Austin when it comes to best places for singles.

Austin does have a huge college population both undergrad and grad students. Austins downtown nightlife is great. Has great diversity for not only college kids, but for slightly older crew as well. The local music scene is amazing, its attracting young college graduates in droves. Compare that to OKC which has some canal it ripped off from San Antonio.

For Tennessee:
Nashville-good
Memphis-bad
Knoxville-bad
Chattanooga-dont know, but probably bad

For Kentucky:
Louisville-good
Lexington-bad
NKY-steals Cincys singles, so bad
Why is Nashville good while Memphis and Knoxville are bad?

·
Blame it on...
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
289 Posts
Nashville has more young professionals than Memphis, and people tend to get married later there. Knoxville has a college scene, but after college everyone either leaves or gets married. Everyone over the age of 23 is married in Chattanooga.

·
Banned
1,096 Posts
Basically what TennReb said. Nashville is similar to Austin. Knoxville is like most big college towns, after you hit 25 or so things really start to go downhill there. Memphis is a coin flip, I had to pick one so I picked bad. There is a certain crowd down there that can ruin a lot of good things in the city.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts