SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope there are still some people who aren't fed up with the pictures of Vilnius :)

I got a tripod as my Christmas present, and a few days ago I realised that I hadn't tried it yet :) That's why I decided to get up very early today and try to make a few sunrise shots. Getting up wasn't easy especially as the thermometer showed -12° Celsium.

Anyway, take a look at my first nightshots. I was a bit disappointed with the quality, so I will try to make more night photo trips - practice makes perfect, they say :D

The Church Of St. Raphael The Archangel

The Green Bridge

No lights in the windows of NCC :(

I climbed up the Tauras hill where a nice view opens:

St. Raphael's church surrounded by commiebloks (it actually is about 500 meters behind them ;))

The construction site of "Vilniaus Vartai"

Liubartas bridge - almost no traffic on a cold Sunday morning ;)

A very nice building by the side of "Lietuvos Geležinkeliai" building (maybe even a part of it?)

This has been only a small part of my tour, the next parts are coming up (no more nightshots ;))

I really need to get better at making nightshots... I didn't realize that my Minolta was pretty bad at determining exposure settings for the nightshots. Only after coming home I realised that I should have used fully manual exposure :( (And it's not that easy to operate a camera at -12° :))

Anyway, expect to see some really nice shots from Sereikiškių park later in this thread ;)

·
always on
4,774 Posts
very nice pictures, the quality is okay imo! yes, i fully agree with you at -12 it gets hard to make photos, i made some yesterdat and my hands were deadcold when i got back home :)

Keep up the good work :eek:kay:

·
Banned
1,422 Posts
Vaidas said:
I hope there are still some people who aren't fed up with the pictures of Vilnius
Believe me, there are such people ;)

The zoomed shots are really great, make more of these. Vilnius looks so completely calm and dead at that time, feels very romantic :)

Now can't wait for other parts.

·
Banned
462 Posts
Wow, Vaidas, thanks you for this great tour and I'm impatient to see the rest of the pix. :eek:kay: It's hard to believe you someone manage to wake up that early Sunday morning to take some night pix, you must be a morning person(this Sunday myself I woke up at 01:00 PM, that is some 1h30mins ago...). Sunday bloody Sunday!
And your pix are real nice. However, I see that it is probably not the best idea to take nightshots early in the morning, since many lights are off, all the cars are away and all the people are still sleeping(well, on Sunday that is). I do think that it is easier to take nightshots in the evening and also you don't have to wake up that early. Anyways, the pix are real good.

my favs:

I love those misty cranes in the background

this one is really special as well. I also see Konica Minolta(your cam, right? ;) )

and this is a nice unusual yet classic building

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everybody for comments :)

About taking the pictures early in the morning - now I also think that taking them in the evening is a much smarter idea, however, I wanted to take some pictures of the NCC during the sunrise. It was all cloudy though :( I was also stupid to have stayed on the Tauro Hill for too long. I really wanted to take some pictures of "Lietuvos Geležinkeliai" building with its lighting on, but I just saw the lights being switched off as I was approaching the building. There would have been some pics if I went there 5 minutes earlier :(

·
Un genovese a Nord-Est
1,217 Posts
Great pics Vaidas, I enjoyed them so much, and I look forward to see the other ones! :) And yes, taking night pictures in the evening is probably better! :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
Good, Vaidas ! I am not tired of Vilnius pictures yet, I was in Vilnius three times last year (August and October 2x). I was on the observation deck of ET as well.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
great photos! And No, i dont think anyone here is tired of seeing pictures from Vilnius :) its an awesome city, with awesome scenery and some wicked looking buildings :D

·
Banned
14,132 Posts
Please don't put yourself down, Vaidai! :) I think this was an excellent first-time night outing. :eek:kay: I enjoyed this series most thoroughly and look forward to the continuation.

·
Endorsed by the NRA
SSC User of the Year 1987
24,516 Posts
It's -12°, a sunday morning and you decide to get up early. :crazy:

Anyway, some really nice shots

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everybody for comments :)

Anyway, it's about time for part II:

The church of St. Catherine

The church of Holy Spirit

The Didžioji street. The orthodox church of St. Nicholas

Vilnius city hall

The National Philharmony if Lithuania. One of the most beautiful buildings in the whole country. There is no way to get the building in one shot with my camera. This is a panorama made of 3 pictures ;)

Some architectural detail above the entrance to a church:

Some very old Gothic building in Aušros Vartų street.

The church of the Blessed Virgin Mary

The Church of Holy Mother of God

A wider view

Bokšto street

The church of the Blessed Virgin Mary from below :)

On my way to the top of Gediminas hill - NCC in the fog

It's not easy to take pictures against the sun ;)

The three crosses

On may way down - the fog is gone :)

zoom...

zoom-zoom...

Those are some pretty common views of Vilnius, but I feel there aren't that many winter pictures in the forum, so I hope you won't mind ;)

The third part will include some views from Sereikiškių park.

·
mostly at Talo and SSP
595 Posts
You're a dedicated photograper, Vaidas! I appreciate the variety of different kind of pictures, as well as new angles of the subjects we've seen many times before. Zoom's really useful at this. :)

really need to get better at making nightshots... I didn't realize that my Minolta was pretty bad at determining exposure settings for the nightshots.
True. Pretty much every camera sucks at this.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Very nice pictures. You woke up very early and made those photos in the cold weather. I think you are a hero of this forum :yes:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Part III - when the haze clears ;)

Some old guy's morning walk ;)

The Gediminas Hill :

The hill of Three Crosses (see top left corner ;))

A couple more views from the park:

The church of the Bernardines:

The snow can't hide the beauty of St. Ann's ;)

Couldn't find the name of this church anywhere (the architecture reminds me middle eastern a bit, but it's an orthodox church)

The roof of Bastey and the top of the Church of St. Casimir

The Church of Holy Mother of God again ;)

St. Casimir's church zoomed in :)

The Three Crosses and the defence wall. For some comparision - summer view ;)

The panorama of Užupis. Bigger version

Some small hotel

The Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary (I can't help it - I like it too much :D)

Down by the river:

I hope you liked the thread ;) I can't believe we had such weather yesterday when I look through my window now ;)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Wonderfull photos. I especially loved the one with the bastion. Very nice :eek:kay: And St Casimirs church looks awsome. One of my favorite churches in Vilnius.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts