Skyscraper City Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
That real expressionistic style of Mid Century Modern was pretty rare in Europe, at least Western Europe, where most of the architecture was a bit more high-brow. Was this style common in Eastern Europe? In the US Googie really developed as a graphic style which was applied to buildings, first as a kind of ornament, then it really got into the actual architecture itself. Most Googie was small scale commercial, but it had an influence on a lot of mid century modern designs which were related to, but not exactly, Googie. A great example is John Lautner, here is one of his houses. This is not Googie in the purest sense, but so far we lack a real good term for this style. I like calling it expressionistic modern myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Goldstein(from_terrace).JPG

·
Real Horrorshow
23,497 Posts
^Western Europe seems to had gone more towards the blockier Brutalist architecture in the mid-century, though France has a surprising amount of expressionist modernism. Besides commieblocks, Eastern Europe has quite a lot of expressionist early modern buildings, probably because of the Eastern Bloc's aim to look more 'forward'. Maybe the East's Constructivism movement inspired more expressionist forms, unlike the west's Bauhaus.

·
18,393 Posts
Googie architecture is called Doo *** on the East Coast.

Wildwood, Wildwood Crest, and North Wildwood, New Jersey, have a large concentration of Doo *** architecture (and other mid-century kitchy architecture) with the motels all around.

Wildwood Crest's Motel District

·
Registered
596 Posts
^Western Europe seems to had gone more towards the blockier Brutalist architecture in the mid-century, though France has a surprising amount of expressionist modernism. Besides commieblocks, Eastern Europe has quite a lot of expressionist early modern buildings, probably because of the Eastern Bloc's aim to look more 'forward'. Maybe the East's Constructivism movement inspired more expressionist forms, unlike the west's Bauhaus.
One of the things I have noticed is that in Western Europe, architecture is kind of organized around "schools", and there is almost a kind of disconnect between the public and the owner on one hand, and the architect on teh other. It is almost as though in Western Europe, clients go out and choose from the available design schools and that's the building they get.

In the US, particularly during the middle of the last century (less so today) there was a much greater tie between the public/consumer and the architect. Buildings were essentially designed to "sell". This may not earn it much credibility amongst scholars, but I think it got the every day person to connect more with their built environment. As that relationship decayed, so it seems did the appreciation for mid century architecture decay.

·
Elf Leśny
5,343 Posts
Thread on the Polish subforum with a bit more pics.

Thanks for this thread :) Googie is either great design or extremely kitchy, the border is clear, but easy to cross. I truly admire its inspiration with rockets, spaceships and other forms of technology. That's why if I needed to build a house, I would make it Googie-like and try to avoid any natural/organic forms and traditional shapes.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts