Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ex user
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides Google maps and Google street view, Google earth is one of most usefull tools i've found on internet. But there is one problem. While cities like New York and San Francisco are very well depicted, lot of smaller cities are depicted very poor. For example, i was watching Providence, Rhode Island, and there is not much to see. Ok, i said, Google earth is still work in progress and they still need some time in Google to sort things out. But, then i went watching Hong Kong, presuming it will be depicted good as New York. But i was surprised when i found out that city as big and important as Hong Kong is presented so poorely. There are few big skyscrapers, but it is nothing comparable to depiction of New York. Which surprises me..... When is Google going to improve this application?:cheers:

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
But, then i went watching Hong Kong, presuming it will be depicted good as New York. But i was surprised when i found out that city as big and important as Hong Kong is presented so poorely.
Probably the chinese have their own google. Internet is not very well functioning in China, why spending money on new street views there ?

New York and Manhattan is probably one of the worlds most streetgoogled cities, so they tend to renew it frequently.

·
Ex user
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the chinese have their own google. Internet is not very well functioning in China, why spending money on new street views there ?

New York and Manhattan is probably one of the worlds most streetgoogled cities, so they tend to renew it frequently.
I understand that. But it's not only Hong Kong. I was watching lot of other cities in United States, some of them not so small, and some of them in vicinity of New York, like City of Orange and Newark. They are also poorely depicted...:cheers:

·
Ex user
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Well, i've just been in Providence, Rhode Island on Google Earth. It seems they improved. Now they cover it. When i was there last year, there wasn't much to see....:cheers:

...but if you want to see Hong Kong, you won't see much. Why spending so much money if Hong Kong is in China? They probably have their own Google Earth view. Yes, i understand that. But the problem is that we do not. We want to see China too. At least i do...., but it's so poor depicted....:cheers:

I also tried to see Shenzhen, but there is almost nothing...

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
^^Well, i've just been in Providence, Rhode Island on Google Earth. It seems they improved. Now they cover it. When i was there last year, there wasn't much to see....:cheers:

...but if you want to see Hong Kong, you won't see much. Why spending so much money if Hong Kong is in China? They probably have their own Google Earth view. Yes, i understand that. But the problem is that we do not. We want to see China too. At least i do...., but it's so poor depicted....:cheers:

Russia also has it's own yandex street view, so does China. I have seen it in another thread on this forum but I dont remember the internet address.

·
Asset Building Consultanc
23 Posts
Google map has been a really useful tool for me so far. Like you, I can't say the same thing about Google Earth. The results I get are really of poor quality that I decided not to try using it again after the first time. I do wish that it can be improved soon. It has lots of promise if it can be significantly improved.

·
whitest boy in the delta
13,620 Posts
Maybe if people are still interested to know the biggest chinese map websites are:

Baidu: http://map.baidu.com/
They have the most completed maps. when looking for buildings or streets the searches yield far more results.

Tencent: http://map.qq.com/
They have a function like google streetview, this is my favorite chinese mapping service for exactly that reason.

·
Nadia 🗺 ✈
3,062 Posts
Maybe if people are still interested to know the biggest chinese map websites are:

Baidu: http://map.baidu.com/
They have the most completed maps. when looking for buildings or streets the searches yield far more results.

Tencent: http://map.qq.com/
They have a function like google streetview, this is my favorite chinese mapping service for exactly that reason.
A few more Chinese online map services:

Sogou / Sohu: http://map.sogou.com

AutoNavi / Alibaba: http://amap.com

Tianditu: http://map.tianditu.com

ChinaSo: http://map.chinaso.com

:)

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I understand that. But it's not only Hong Kong. I was watching lot of other cities in United States, some of them not so small, and some of them in vicinity of New York, like City of Orange and Newark. They are also poorely depicted...:cheers:
It's not only these ones, but also major cities like Dubai, Sydney, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, and and and. I hope all of them will be covered soon.

·
Rail & Road traveller
2,804 Posts
It's not only these ones, but also major cities like Dubai, Sydney, Shanghai, Kuala Lumpur, and and and. I hope all of them will be covered soon.
For some reason Germany is still not covered by Google earth, except a few cities like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich and the Ruhr area. Austria is also not included.

Germany is an important 1st world country so it's strange that they didnt cover it yet. Other countries not covered are Albania, Byelorus and Moldova.

·
Nadia 🗺 ✈
3,062 Posts
For some reason Germany is still not covered by Google earth, except a few cities like Hamburg, Berlin, Munich and the Ruhr area. Austria is also not included.

Germany is an important 1st world country so it's strange that they didnt cover it yet. Other countries not covered are Albania, Byelorus and Moldova.
Are you talking about Google Street View? You'll have to thank the backward Austrian and German laws for that.

Anyway, HERE Maps was recently bought by a German conglomerate, so it's only a matter of time before Austria and Germany get street-level imagery.

·
Registered
12 Posts

What are those reasons ? I see when i was in germany that street view was not everywhere in the country .

·
Nadia 🗺 ✈
3,062 Posts

You're going to love the recent update:

Hong Kong Fly Through - Google Earth

:)

·
Nadia 🗺 ✈
3,062 Posts
What are those reasons ? I see when i was in germany that street view was not everywhere in the country .
Unfortunately, street-level imagery for Austria and Germany is awfully limited due to weird privacy laws in those two countries.

The good news is that a very popular online map service, known as "HERE Maps", was recently bought by a German conglomerate, so it's only a matter of time before Austria and Germany get street-level imagery. :)

·
Nadia 🗺 ✈
3,062 Posts
So why do these privacy laws not concern Hamburg, Hannover, Berlin, Munich,Dresden, Bremen, Frankfurt ??
They do, which is precisely why Google hasn't updated the street-level imagery for those cities since 2010/2011. Google eventually got fed up with the stupid laws and decided to ignore the rest of Austria and Germany. By the way, the street-level imagery for the cities you mentioned is complete and utter rubbish. There are so many areas that are blurred out:

:puke:

I still can't figure out how looking at other people's homes is an "invasion of privacy" LOL. :picard:

Anyway, now that the Germans own a rival to Google Maps in the form of HERE Maps, Austria and Germany should finally get proper street-level imagery.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Im agree!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Chinese "google", the Baidu.
They would never develop apps like google earth since those technologies helps little on selling counterfeit drugs

lol) I am wrong, Baidu got their duplicated google earth, nothing to say though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts