SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Here
6,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let people know Google Maps has received a big local update. Now the 'Map' and 'Hybrid' features works so streets listed in the capital cities all are named, as are the suburbs. Plus you can now overlay this information onto the satellite maps. Also previous blurred out sections, such as the Sydney CBD north side now have hi-res pictures.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...l=-33.858282,151.206422&spn=0.006379,0.011823

http://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Google_Maps_Australia_Locations

·
Lurker
6,063 Posts
As far as maps are concerned, nothing beats street-directory.com.au - while they don't have a fancy interface, they source their data from the (Mel|Syd|Bris)ways which is the best format out there.

But Google Maps does have an incredible level of detail when zoomed in - all the way to property boundaries (but still no high res coverage of eastern and south eastern Melbourne). The Melways will continue to be the best for navigation, but Google Maps will probably come in handy every now and then.

·
Registered
89,976 Posts
fanbloodytastic! evryone at work loves it. i think its 6 months old?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
invincible said:
But Google Maps does have an incredible level of detail when zoomed in - all the way to property boundaries (but still no high res coverage of eastern and south eastern Melbourne). The Melways will continue to be the best for navigation, but Google Maps will probably come in handy every now and then.
They've done another update. Pretty decent coverage of eastern Melbourne now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Went into Google Earth after hearing of the update and my jaw :eek2: dropped :eek2: upon seeing Australia! THIS IS A MASSIVE UPDATE! Now I really am convinced that one day 99%+ of all the land in the world will be covered at the high resolution and what a great day that will be.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
5,373 Posts
Townsville has a greatly detailed map, which is awesome, especially with the property outlines too.

But theres hardly any high-res pics there.

·
Lacking an Akubra!
5,373 Posts
I thought we were talking about Google Maps as in maps.google.com here, not as in Google Earth, cause Townsville is probably 70% high-res, even my house can now be seen up close.

Cairns on the other hand, wouldn't even be 40%.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
NZ has been hugely updated.

Auckland is 90% high res
Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin 100%
Tauranga/Mt Manganui 70%
Hamilton 0% unfortunately

Other areas in high res.

Queenstown and lakes district
Nelson/Tasman Bay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.