SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone is intrested but the rendering program sketchup and google earth have teamed up and relased google sketchup. Sketchup allows people like me and you the ability to create semi professional renderings.and google earth allows you to insert it into a skyline.

so if anyone would like to create a future miami skyline this program is really, good, i already use sketchup 5 and its really easy and good for creating renderings.easier than ms paint.

download here
sketchup.google.com

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
950 Posts
Here are the renderings I've made so far. Now that I'm out of school I'll probably spend a lot more time on Sketchup. I made a pretty detailed rendering of 50 Biscayne, mainly because it's so easy to design, but I'll try to do some renderings of the cooler buildings once I get a hang of the program. Also, Sketchup is free, as is Google Earth, so if anybody wants to try it out, go for it.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn paul looks nice, it seems like your a quick learner, it took me a few days to get sketchup but now its simplier than typing for me.

just one thing, met1 is taller than one miami. keep up the good work.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Sketchup is kind of crude though i managed to make this suburban house. How do you plop buildings anywhere you want in google earth every time i click the send to google earth button i end up in a suburb of denver.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You have to have Google Earth open on the location that you want to build on before you open Sketchup. Once Sketchup is open, click on the Google Earth symbol with the yellow arrow in the Sketchup toolbar and it will upload a picture of the area, which you can now build on. After finishing the rendering, select the Google Earth symbol with the red arrow and it will upload it to that location.

·
Balsa Pilot
154 Posts
Amazing work Paul. Anyway we can get to use your models? I'd actually be interested of doing some of the Omni area where I live.

Do you do any other 3D work? I take it you do... I've been looking to design some nice details scenery of downtown for the X-Plane flight simulator. Just wondering if you would be interested in helping out with that, or if you could export your models here to a format that could be bought into X-Plane. I've done some in AC3D.

-James.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
again good work paul, just a couple of observations, i dont know if you forgot and just hadn't had a chance to add in infinity2 and brickell flatiron. and also 600 brickell is a bit taller than the rendering shows it to be.

anyways good stuff and i would love to see what it looks like after you add in details to the towers.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The Mad Hatter!! said:
again good work paul, just a couple of observations, i dont know if you forgot and just hadn't had a chance to add in infinity2 and brickell flatiron. and also 600 brickell is a bit taller than the rendering shows it to be.

anyways good stuff and i would love to see what it looks like after you add in details to the towers.
Thanks, I completely forgot about Infinity2. I'll add it tomorrow if I have time. I already fixed the problem with 600 Brickell but I'm too busy to host pictures of the updated skyline right now. Also, I tried to do Flatiron but it is just too damn sexy to render! Sketchup is a simple program which doesn't easily render curved surfaces. Asking me to do a rendering of Flatiron would be like asking me to make a rendering of J-Lo's booty, it's just too daunting of a task for us mere mortals. But if it makes you feel better, I'll put an 800' pie slice where Flatiron should be for future renderings. Another thing I noticed while attempting to render Flatiron is that it's HUGE (insert J-Lo booty joke here). According to the most recent rendering, one length of Flatiron is over 600' long. Basically, it would need to be about 40’ narrower in it's north-south dimension to fit in the gap between Ten Museum Park and Marina Blue. Think about that next time you look at James’ pics!

EDIT: Also, if you want access to my models you can send me a private message with your email address and I'll try to send the files as attachments. Otherwise, I'll see if I can get a Google Earth Community account going so that I can share files easier. I'll be working full time starting tomorrow, so I won't have much time for SSC but I'll try to keep the renderings coming.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heres what i tried, using the arc tool and a lot of erasing and softening edges was the best way to do it, as to the lengeth issue yea that does make it alot more diffcult.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts