SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On saturday during my trip to the best shopping centre in Manchester (yep its true, even better than down town) where else can you get a spam and egg buttie. :bash:
I noticed that Pioneer (co-op type super market) had finally closed down, so now its feckin even harder to buy food in gorton. apparently its already got the worst life expectancy in the country, down to poor diet and lifestyle.

someone told me, that eventually the whole shabang is goin to be knocked down
and tesco of all people are building a new place.

heres a link to the only bit of info i could find, nothing on MCC website.

http://www.gortonnews.org.uk/

way too much glass on the design, it will not last the first night. anyone seen pioneer, there is only a door, no windows, the shutters stay down thru out the day.

im worried that if the council drag their feet, the outdoor market will not survive without the food super market, and by the time tesco opens, their will be nothing left.

·
Registered
17 Posts
chasedwar said:
I noticed that Pioneer (co-op type super market) had finally closed down, so now its feckin even harder to buy food in gorton.

way too much glass on the design, it will not last the first night. anyone seen pioneer, there is only a door, no windows, the shutters stay down thru out the day.
A distant cousin is the baker there but she will be retiring soon as well.

When I worked there ICL employed armed guards to protect our cars!

·
Registered
13,909 Posts
Gorton looks like Wilshire Blvd in those pics lol.
I dont like the less ambitious designs. They are even worse than the ones for Lancaster Market.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I was born and brought up in Gorton , and lived there for the first 21 years of my life,,and it saddens me to see Gorton and hear it portryed as it is(a dump)
Believe me or not it was a fantastic area back then (im 32 now),it had a great community,and i loved it,,,
The bad started to set in,, about a year or two after the Cresents ,Fort Beswick, and Fork Ardwick were demolished , and all the scroats from these areas were moved mostly into Gorton (thats when our family moved)
I for one would welcome developments like the one from ASK , to improve Gorton,,,this area as some fantastic houses ,esp around the Sunny Brow park area,,and on the other side if the area ,bordering West Gorton , is a Manchester jewel in the Monastary,which i believe could become a fantastic attraction for the area ,with a lot more planning..
Anyway enough of my Gorton crusade,,i welcome any improvments big or small in areas such as these ,because i believe these developments eventually improve cities more than any 20 storey posh apartment build in the city centre will ever do...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I remember going to Leo's as a kid with my auntie. Never really been out on the ale around Gorton, despite living pretty close to the place. Those artists impressions look really good.

·
the man who builds cities
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMG that new artist impression does look good.
I havent seen so many people on Hyde Rd since the Pig and Ball-baring burnt down.

I think that golden jag must be passing thru lol. (with his doors locked)

and thise girls, thay have nice dresses and heals on, shouldnt they have rockport on their feet and of course be pushing a pram, with a ciggie in their gob.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
highriser said:
I was born and brought up in Gorton , and lived there for the first 21 years of my life,,and it saddens me to see Gorton and hear it portryed as it is(a dump)
Believe me or not it was a fantastic area back then (im 32 now),it had a great community,and i loved it,,,
The bad started to set in,, about a year or two after the Cresents ,Fort Beswick, and Fork Ardwick were demolished , and all the scroats from these areas were moved mostly into Gorton (thats when our family moved)
I for one would welcome developments like the one from ASK , to improve Gorton,,,this area as some fantastic houses ,esp around the Sunny Brow park area,,and on the other side if the area ,bordering West Gorton , is a Manchester jewel in the Monastary,which i believe could become a fantastic attraction for the area ,with a lot more planning..
Anyway enough of my Gorton crusade,,i welcome any improvments big or small in areas such as these ,because i believe these developments eventually improve cities more than any 20 storey posh apartment build in the city centre will ever do...
Gorton's still clinging on, you can see that from going there. The first render looks like how Gorton should look. It's got the right population density (yawn), and still the right mix of community; it's very popular with overseas students for example. The one problem with it, is the way Hyde Rd slices through it, The Victorian buildings and shop-frontages on the south side of Hyde Rd have been left stranded by the sheer weight of traffic.

This development could be the making of Gorton. It needs a definable centre again, and this might provide it. There'll be a lot of people from Reddish, Dane Bank and Levenshulme/Longsight who'll use it as their local centre.

·
Letting off the happiness
5,855 Posts
Didnt they demolish it all to make it into the motorway to Sheffield which never got built? Ive always been fascinated by Gorton as its cheap as chips so on my radar whenever I get around to buying a house. But even my friends who live in places like Haughton Green have warned me off it for being rough, which worries me! Must say it does look grim from the buses to Hyde, cept the Denton side maybe. But all those cheapo furniture stores, and down Mount Road.... Bleugh... Ive heard Reddish is nice though, but Ive never gone.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
No, lots of bits of Gorton are really solid, you know, full of working responsible people, and the place has got a totally unfair reputation. I'd live there no problem.

There are two parts I'd avoid, firstly around Belle View where the city council and even charities house problem families when they've all but given up, and towards Levenshulme/Knutsford Vale. Apart from that, it's ok.

Yes, I think there were plans for a dual carriageway (at least) between central Manchester and the M67. Bad mistake.

·
van het noorden
1,723 Posts
Up towards Openshaw is ok, Abbey Hey is apparently coming up. It's reputation is that it's full of cheap rental properties, popular with East Europeans.....i.e. very transient. As I say, that's just its reputation.

By the way, Reddish is fine. It gets more expensive the nearer towards Stockport you get. Next to Abbey Hey and North Reddish is Dane Bank. This is now in Tameside, but it's really part of Denton (Manchester)......very nice indeed, with prices to match.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Jongeman said:
No, lots of bits of Gorton are really solid, you know, full of working responsible people, and the place has got a totally unfair reputation. I'd live there no problem.

There are two parts I'd avoid, firstly around Belle View where the city council and even charities house problem families when they've all but given up, and towards Levenshulme/Knutsford Vale. Apart from that, it's ok.

Yes, I think there were plans for a dual carriageway (at least) between central Manchester and the M67. Bad mistake.
Actually Jongy, Belle Vue is having a bit of a face lift atm,,the whole area around the top of Mount Rd is getting new pavement's and trees planted, and there is a huge new housing estate called Scholers Walk being built by Bellway, which goes right up up the side of Gorton Park, and leads right up to the Monastry , in which we all know the plan's for . I'll get a few pics of all this stuff sometime this week,this area is going is the right direction, it just takes a bit of time.

And while im on about Gorton,, does anyone know what is going to happen to the old Gorton Bath's , this is right next to the Scholar's Walk development i mentioned , unfortunatly there was a fire in the building last year and the whole back of the building had to be demolished, but thankfully the front and the best part of the building was safed,i think it would make a great entrance to a modern apartment block.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Do any of you Manc people ever frequent that cool greasy spoon cafe (painted in red outside) that is on the main A57 Hyde road just opposite the Gorton Precinct car park? It's run by a German bloke and an oriental lady (is she his partner? dunno) - but they're real nice people. All sorts of Manc characters drop by there like your usual old geezers, chavs (to play on the game machines that are in an adjoining side room), slackers and beatniks. I always call in for my usual double egg and chips and also apple pie whenever I'm at the Saturday Gorton market - which includes a flea market that day. Between August and October last year I was there practically every weekend but since the winter I haven't been back - however a return trip is on the cards as I haven't dropped by for a while.

It would be a shame if the whole place was levelled as it still has a lot of character. The nearby Beswick Precinct (Grey Mare Lane) is in a far more dilapidated state anyway and I am not sure what sort of a future that place has either as the outdoor market on a couple of days a week borders on the truly scuzzy with all sorts of dodgy traders selling their wares - especially the dingy section that is contained within a tumbledown wall and almost resembles a grotty third world market (but it's still interesting to walk around and just mingle with everybody nevertheless just observing the goings on - I believe it's been raided a few times cos of the Audio/Video pirates operating from there).

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Highriser: My Grandparents on my father's side lived in Gorton. I used to think they were solid working class folk, part of a warm "Coronation Street" type community. Then I found out more, and eventually came to think that they were insular narrow minded people, rooted in the past with a hopeless serf mentality, totally lacking ambition for themselves and their children, and they pissed everything they had up a wall. Which is why for me it would be especially good to see Gorton lively, with it, and thriving

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
highriser said:
That will be Cafe68 Martin , been in there a few times myself :)

Aha - now I know the name - I never paid the sign over the frontage much attention - just that it's always the nearest place for me to pop in and grab a bite to eat whenever I'm in the area. The people who run it are nice anyway! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts