SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gothenburg - Svempa's Photo Thread

Here are some pictures from my hometown Gothenburg. It was a very nice mild friday evening and a lot of people was taking a walk, just like me. The pictures are from Slottskogen park, Linné area, the harbor and a few from the middle of the city. Ok, let´s reminiscing...

This is just outside the city center. In the background there is a woodland connected to the Botanical Garden. These are some of the nicest rowhouses in Gothenburg. I like 20s style!

Trams! A symbol for Gothenburg of course. And the Annedal church.

Then I passed Slottsskogen. It can be described as something similar to London's Hyde Park I guess. Very popular place in the summer.

The tower is Skansen Kronan. It was built in the 17th century to defend Gothenburg from the danes but I don't think we had to use it. It was later transformed into a prison and today it's a small museum. Many of the fortifications, like the city wall, are demolished unfortunately.

This is Linnégatan, a busy restaurant street.

Creperiet is a very nice crepes kiosk. I love Crepes and I'm not alone it seems!

The famous church in Masthugget. It's has been a guiding landmark for seamen since the 1910s. During WW2 they had placed explosives under the tower to blow it up in case the germans were about to invade Gothenburg from the sea. Don't know if thats true but so I've heard.

The Gothenburg inner harbor is still quite busy right in the city center. Most of the cargo handling has moved out to the outer port but ferry traffic and a repair wharf is still active here.

This summer the traffic will be gone. They have dug a tunnel that will give back the city the connection to the river. If you're an architect, look out for a competition on the redesign of the riverfront. So far no descisions have been made about it.

This looks nice but it's actually the "stern" of a floating parking garage. It's ugly.

30s style! Nice!

This is Stora Hamnkanalen. It was designed as the main canal in the original city plan from 1621. It was used as port. It was dutch engineers that designed and built Gothenburg as the swedish outpost to the west so that's why there are some many canals here.

The old center is built on clay and that can be a reason why the city is quite low and small scale.

Nice fish restaurant.

This is Brunnsparken where all the tram lines meet.

Swisch! Aaah, a tram just passed.

Today this is the city museum but it was built for the Swedish East Indian Company. Importers and exporters in the 18th century. One of their east indiaman ships, "Götheborg" has been rebuilt and is on a trip to China right now, check out for more info here.

This last pic is from the official "Götheborg" site:

//Svempa99

·
Banned
148 Posts
Mr_Denmark said:
Looks very nice, the pictures have sort of a mini New York feeling about them :D
funny you said that because thats exactly the same feeling i got when im in Gothenburg, the buildings there reminds me of the cast iron buildings on Manhattan with the black balconys, quite alot of that kind of buildings in Gothenburg actually. Between here in Sweden Gothenburg are called Little London, dont ask me why.

·
\m/
1,515 Posts
/\ According to a tv show it's called little London because the great amount of brick-architecture.
Anyway, great pics Svempa! Keep em' comming!!

·
Lord of Legoland
10,895 Posts
oskarj said:
funny you said that because thats exactly the same feeling i got when im in Gothenburg, the buildings there reminds me of the cast iron buildings on Manhattan with the black balconys, quite alot of that kind of buildings in Gothenburg actually.
So it's not just me.. good :D

I looks very dense for a Scandinavian city IMO - that's great!

It's been a while since I've been there, maybe I should think about getting my ass upthereagain, while the snow is gone ;)

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Göteborg is awesome ! :)
Thank you, Svempa99 !

·
Right Here, Right Now
2,652 Posts
Very beautiful pics of a lovely city! I was in Göteborg last summer and it rocks :D

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
always on
4,815 Posts
exellent Photos, seems dense and very nice :D love when theres canals and water in the city, creates a superb atmosphere! keep it up! Id like to see more of this beautiful city!

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's called Little London because the area around Avenyn has alot of English architecture.

At least from what I've heard, went on some guided tour about it with school no so long ago. Also I think it was something about a english guy that were in Gothenburg calling it Little London in a letter home, guess he thought it looked simelar or something. :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Awesome pics. :) Gothenburg is my favourite city in Sweden, 'cos it isn't too big (like Stockholm) and it's architecture and city design is so beautiful and quite unique in Nordic countries..

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your comments! I will try to post more pics later on. I was surprised to see that there were so few posts about Göteborg here so I decided to make a contibution. I've been inspired by all you who post pics from citywalks. It's funny that a collection of pretty banal street views can become poetry for us urban lovers!

Denver: Your pics could be postcards all of them. Nice!
Moolio: I'm using a Sony DSC-H1. It's got a 12x zoom which is nice. On the other hand it got poor sensitivity, The max ISO 400 is too grainy to use.
Ringil: Do you have a spare ticket?

The name Little London can have something to do with the fact that there were so many british people here in the 18th and 19th century. They were merchants and industrialists. Göteborg has been known as the no 1 industrial city in Sweden for long, at least for the heavy industry with companies like Volvo, SKF and the wharfs.

Some say Göteborg is ugly and that's probably true in some sense. Maybe the industrial identity has had a bad influece on the urban design and architecture here in the 20th century.

The ugliness has certainly something to do with the tradition to use yellow brink in our buildings. Yellow becomes brownish after some time in the polluted city air. And of course bare brick looks a little raw. At first in the 17th century the yellow brick was imported from Flensburg in Germany and it soon became a tradition to use it. If Stockholm is known for it's yellow plaster, Göteborg is known for the yellow brick.

One thing I think this city lacks is a vision of modern development. We don't have any big areas with insteresting modern architecture. Like for instance Västra hamnen in Malmö. The southern waterfront can become interesting though. Let's see what happens in the next 5-10 years. The development on the nothern waterfront, Norra Älvstranden, has been going on for about 15 years now but it's not very spectacular. I think a waterfront should be bolder.

One intersting thing about Göteborg is that the areas are pretty small and differs in character from each other. I'll show you more of that another time.

·
Banned
4,330 Posts
Parzival said:
Gothenburg is one of Sweden's most boring cities.
At least it is not so boring as Kiruna :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts