SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, thanks to dan for taking me here so i could photograph it. although it's physically impossible to shoot from one place, here's the finished piece.

a bit about it first...
the original image is over 22000 pixels long. if i printed it out at 72 dpi it would come to about 25 feet in length.

i shot it from three different positions in total and then joined the left bit in autostitch together, and then the right bit together. thanks to the changes in perspective it was impossible to make them into one big one at once. i then took those two bits into photoshop and manually connected them to the centre part.

you can see here from this picture of the area taken from the top of sky plaza that there are plenty of trees in the way so you have to move along the verge and adjust as you go.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Outstanding....
Thanks x

can it be reduced to banner size and be submitted for the banner above to the powers that be please?
Thanks x

·
wiggledypiggleypuddinghed
13,066 Posts
wow, fantastic :)

you've done a well good job lol.

I'd also like to say it was really nice meeting you. I thought you'd be a big scary website boss with admin superpowers who would look like the skull on your avatar, and turn up with an axe attached to your back :nuts: , but in person, you're a lovely, friendly, comical geezer, who is very easy to warm to, and I enjoyed snappin pics with you and havin a quick beer :)

·
13,066 Posts
ahh cheers :)

would it be possible for me to make a small low resolution version of ur pano to stick on the wiki leeds page, with the name of the photograher/owner details going back to you & skyscrapernews, so that people can direct themselves to skyscrapernews to see the larger copyrighted version that you've posted above ?

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
It's quite hard to get Leeds' full skyline into one shot unless you're far away like from the radial motorways.

I notice that they've added the lettering to City Inn.

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sure thing wiggley but it MUST be licensed under the creative commons non commercial license, no one commercially exploits my work without permission.

·
13,066 Posts
^^ bugger. thats a problem then i think. Its all a bit technical for me but my understanding is wiki only lets uploads under creative commons, and not CC-non-commercial. Some pepople have got round this by only uploading a very small low res version of the pic - thus rendering it useless to be used anywhere else.

wiki upload rules are crap lol

·
Registered
30,466 Posts
Someone keeps uploading maps/diagrams/labels on pictures of various things in Leeds to the respective pages.

They're terrible- plagued with spelling errors, godawful typefaces and text boxes. Two examples on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_in_Leeds
If you're going to do a schematic map, do it properly with straight lines. I'd redraw them if I knew how to upload to Wikipedia.

·
6,886 Posts
That is a nice detailed panorama, well done. It's not easy to get a good panoramic view of Leeds, that seems to be a good location, another is near Valley Office Park on the A61, which I keep planning to go back to get better photos some sunny day.

It's surprising how dimunitive some of what were the tallest buildings ten years ago look, ie the 20 storey Park Plaza Hotel (what was Royal Exchange House) and the 20 storey K2 (was Dudley House) only just poke out into the skyline, and West Riding House is virtually blocked out altogether. It just shows how much has changed over the last decade.

Shame Candle House is still wrapped and craned, that would have added greatly to the overall image if it was complete in all its glory.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
great pano gothic. Makes you realise what a hotchpotch of architecture we have here......Clarence Dock and the East Street / Gateway / Brewery Wharf bit looks great.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Great photos Gothic - nice to see you taking an interest in the city.

When you look at the pano I think there is more good than bad buildings - but it does have to be said the bad ones are absolute shockers!

What is the building in the middle foreground? - the one with the scaffolding round it which looks like its being clad - I cant get a sense of what or even where it is.

·
6,886 Posts
Yes I think it is, it seems to have moved quite a bit since last passing it with the new upper floors progressing well.

·
actual gherkin
13,931 Posts
excellent pano, just a shame you weren't a few metres to the right and could have got Broadcasting Tower in the shot - it's become a big part of the skyline

and how do i go about hosting an image that large? i've taken a few panoramas that keep being compressed when i host them on photobucket, tinypic, imageshack etc

·
13,066 Posts
photobucket allows images of any dimensions (like a huge pano) as long as the size is no more than 1MB. James' pano pic is 1.2Meg - so i reckon you could host one fractionally smaller, or fractionally lower res, and it would fit 1MB :dunno:

or, *pay* ya tight get :nuts:

·
Administrator
34,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you can see it poking out from behind granary wharf. once the coverings are removed from the tower there it will be a bit more, but not more noticeable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts