SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
is this for real hot dang wow this is cool now the remaining popular main Railways like the GWML, Chiltern Main Line, Midland Main line and others out there you know to be Electrified with Overhead wires.

·
Against ID Cards
9,799 Posts
I saw this thread title and thought great news, about time.

And then found out it was too good to be true...don't expect to see much happen.
It makes a lot of sense for electrification now anyway because of the soaring price of diesel.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
This thread is still worth keeping just to talk about electrification.

It is about time, although not happening. It's been 'about time' for years though. The railways must be electrified fully so that they are sustainable, efficient and clean.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
They are looking at Network Rail's electrification program, the Guardian have obviously got wind of the various murmerings in all the rail press that there is a change of attitude within the DfT.

G

·
If they put up more wires they should increase the loading gauge aswell, would make sense where bridges and shit have to be modified.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
There is an excellent article in Modern Railways about electrification and the growing pressure in the industry to electrify. Network Rail is drawing up a rolling programme of electrification to keep costs down. It would start with the Great Western line to Bristiol and the Midland Mainline to Sheffield. Then infil electification between Bristol Birmingham to Leeds and some Trans Pennine routes, after that it woudl look at more of the Great Western routes and various extensions and diversion routes off the West and East coast lines.

The problem is the government will have to make decisions soon, otherwise we'll be locked in to diesel fleet for the next 30 years.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I read that too - it's an excellent article. Some of it I take with a pinch of salt - I know the author is a little biased, but I wouldn't be surprised if Network Rail are as biased as he is, and now NR have effectively teamed up with ATOC to put pressure on the DfT things may be looking up. It comes down to NR being able to show that they can electrify at a normal European cost, not insanely inflated UK style, as to whether the DfT will bite. Which is ironic considering that instead the DfT have come up with the most ludicrously inflated alternative which is the IEP.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
I mentioned on another thread about how LD proposed full electrification of the UKs rail network.

Also, that seems a bit of an odd proposal to me. East Midlands Trains depot is Neville Hill, Leeds- so trains are having to travel between Leeds and Sheffield for use on the Midland Mainline; in other words, there is little point in electrification to Sheffield and not continuing to Leeds. Without Leeds-Sheffield electrification, East Midlands Trains cant take advantage of the electrification.

Makes absolute sense to electrify Cross Country, but again, it's only part electrification. Most trains continue past Bristol and Leeds; I know there are plans for electrification between Leeds and York which will solve it here, but south of Bristol?

The same issue strikes for Great Western. Most trains continue past Bristol don't they? So surely it is only worth electrifying all the way to Swansea rather than just to Bristol.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Looking at the map in Modern Railways the MML electrification will go to Leeds as you suggest, skipping Doncaster at first which would be linked as part of the XC tranche. Also in the first lot is GWR to Bristol via Bath and the other way. The XC tranche will go all the way to Plymouth, and along with it the west of england route and Swnasea. It will also include Oxford to Birmingham via Coventry and the other Chiltern trains line into Birmingham too. Also in that tranche is the Reading to Basingsoke.

In "list 2" is the Trans penine route from Liverpool to Hull via Huddersfield. They will also electrify the Glossop branch, unless of course someone tells them it's been done already (I assume it's a mistake in the map!!!) Along with this group is the York to Scarborough branch, I assume because this is one of the major trans penine routes. Also - included - Middlesborough, North London Line, Windemere and Stirling.

the "later tranche" in list 2 sees Newport and Cheltenham linked, the chiltern line through Princes Risborough, and Stratford upon Avon to Leamington, and Middlesborough to Sunderland.

List 3 has infilling on the southern regionplus extension to Salisbury.

In the other aspirations list - the freight corridor Ipswich - Peterborough, bits and bobs around the big cities of Brum, Leeds and all the routes between Liverpool and Manchester, and a few other things here and there. It still leaves half the country unelectrified, but covers nearly all the busy routes.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i don't think they mean all Railway routes i think they mean like Main Railway Corridors for example.

the great western Railway from London to Bristol even though part of it is already electrified to a junction and will be soon expanded to reading.

the Midland Main line to Sheffeid and Leeds could be electrified plus i been wonder why hasn't this one been electrifed if the other two have?

the Chiltern Main Line to Birmingham Snow Hill station and beyond should be Electrifited as well i think because it would make sense i think don't know much of this route but you get me.

other busy Main Railway corridors in England and Scotland should be electrified as well.

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
No I meant LD want full electrification by 2050, starting with core rail routes. They also say that plans for a new high speed rail network would commence straight away. This discussion is about Labours limited electrification on some routes as mentioned. Transpennine Express should be priority for electrification.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting speech, this.

I am clear that we will not achieve our aims by rationing travel, so it becomes something only the wealthy can enjoy.
The Secretary of State for Transport here creates a rather delightful hole for herself. Does she propose rationing by means other than price? More mundanely, I suspect she simply believes transport can and should be affordable for all. The King Review of Low-Carbon Cars she makes reference to considers that various incentives and regulation can be instated to encourage cars that produce little or no carbon dioxide at the point of use, but also that this must be accompanied by investment in public transport. Ruth Kelly talks about being radical, but electrification, once they have established the business case later this year based on the government's idiotic fossil fuel price assumptions, would still not be something with priority enough to not need to wait for the existing five year transport plan to run its course. This is not the Soviet Union! Why should the government not amend its plan as its understanding of reality becomes greater? She suggests quality contracts will be enough to make bus travel genuinely attractive. This is not adequate.

Oh yes, this seems familiar. Poor appreciation of the problem, fairly good intentions, appalling and ineffective policy. Government is ever thus.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Any of you rail buffs have any realiable costings per Km/m to re electrify a rail line?

Any how much extra capacity and extra speed (both commuter and inter city) can be achieved by electrification?

Just asking????

·
Registered
30,485 Posts
Don't know about capacity. But speed; looking at the Airedale and Wharfedale lines in Leeds, these were electrified a few years back. Previously, they were normal diesel lines like most commuter lines with a linespeed of 100km/h. But now the linespeed is 130km/h. This has meant that Skipton, 40km from the centre of Leeds is now half an hour from the centre. Harrogate is 25km from the centre of Leeds, yet is 35 minutes in time with a 100km/h linespeed.

Of course each situation is different depending on the line; number of stations, how straight the line is- there is a very tight acute bend on the Harrogate line where trains have to slow to 30km/h. This adds about 5 extra minutes to the journey, junctions, level crossings etc

1 - 20 of 191 Posts