SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier in the year, I had the opportunity to go for a walk around Government House, which was the official residence for the Governor of NSW until the mid 1990's, when it became public property. It is still used for some Vice Regal Functions such as the swearing in of NSW State Governments.

It was built between 1837 and 1845 in the Gothic Revival style. It underwent a restoration last year for the APEC conference.

Currently, it is managed by the Historic Houses Trust of NSW

It is located at the northern end of the Royal Botannic Gardens. Nothing beats the great location right on the shores of Sydney Harbour.

The swimming pool has fallen into disrepair

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I love it! I love Gothic Revival-- especially with the sandstone gives it an exotic colonial look to it-- especially with the garden.

No Governor in residence though? I'm not sure if the Victorian Governor still takes residence in ours??

·
Melburnaholic
567 Posts
yep, pretty sure he does

Sydney has a cool government house

Melbourne's one is great too, but completely different. Does the Sydney one have a ballroom?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Dr. Dan-- I think it does.

Fabian--

At first I thought I was going crazy, but if you look at the sign for "GOVERNMENT HOUSE" you will notice some twit has put the "V" on backwards. Trippy...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Excellent pics, Fabian! Brilliant place! Sydney differs from a lot of 'new world' cities in having places like this.

That sign is an embarrassment though!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Excellent pics, Fabian! Brilliant place! Sydney differs from a lot of 'new world' cities in having places like this.

That sign is an embarrassment though!
I like it.

Kinda like Chinglish.

Remind's me of Beijing, where you would be confronted with some of the most remarkable global landmarks, but on a closer inspection their inscriptions were mispelt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts