Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys seen this? www.nextbus.com OMG if this was available in LA, I have no doubt that more people would ride the bus. I know we have a very large system with hundreds of bus lines, but maybe they could start with just the rail and rapid routes and slowly add different sections of bus routes until the whole system is included. I'm nearly certain that the technology is already in place on the busses, I know that Big Blue Busses have satellite technology to tell the driver if they are running ahead or behind schedule. I'm guessing MTA has something in place as well. Does anyone know of a way that we could get this implemented sooner rather than later?

·
Shaken, never Stirred
8,014 Posts
^ Dude this is L.A.... even if the bus was free people would still drive their expensive cars to work!

·
Registered
427 Posts
The University of Maryland has the same thing for all of it's bus routes. You can either press a button at the stop to tell you how far the bus is away or you can go online and see the buses's locations in real-time. I didn't know LA had that though. I can't wait to move.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Many of the buses that have Transit TV screens already have GPS tracking...

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
^ Dude this is L.A.... even if the bus was free people would still drive their expensive cars to work!
Nevermind "Ferney" solong, not everyone here has expensive cars to drive to work, in fact the majority of the city doesn't have expensive cars to drive to work. LA has the 2nd highest bus ridership in the country (1,303.4 avg daily rides)so it will be well recieved by the masses that already ride the bus as well as those that are contemplating riding. I would hope that this is something that the MTA would do system wide and not just on the Rapids but then again, it's too easy isn't it?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well not exactly the city of Los Angeles, but none the less its already in LA County.

Long Beach Transit has this system and in fact I used it on Friday to track a bus I need to take to the LB Area for a convention. Their is a bus stop directly in front of my condo building. Instead of waiting outside for the bus I sat at my computer and tracked the next bus arriving at my door step. You just gotta love this new technology. I didn't feel like waiting outside at this shadeless bus stop in my suit and sweating. Thank you LBT, now we just need the MTA to hop on board. :banana:

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
Wha???? Really!! We've got to do this!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
They've had it in San Francisco on some of the bus and light rail lines for years. It makes a HUGE psychological difference to know that your bus is only a few minutes away.

Even if the bus is delayed, it's much better to know that it's delayed than to wait, and wait, and wait... :mad2:

·
city driver
469 Posts
The rapids all have this.. go to "rapidbus.net"

Select the route, the cross-street, and then it gives you the real-time arrival

The best thing is you can easily do this on any web-enabled phone.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts

When I was in Portland last month, they had the coolest thing - a Transit Tracker. Portland's Tri-Met system is innovative in that it has a phone number where one can call an automated phone line, enter the ID number of their station and get real-time arrival notices of the next few bus or trains arriving! You can even call the number yourself with your cellphone to see how it really works!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rapids all have this.. go to "rapidbus.net"

Select the route, the cross-street, and then it gives you the real-time arrival

The best thing is you can easily do this on any web-enabled phone.
Thanks Dweebo. I had no idea that this was available. Although it may not be as nice as the NextBus website, its better than nothing. I noticed one problem though, it only lists stops within the city of LA. For example, the farthest west stop available on the 720 line is at Bundy. I know that this bus goes all the way to Ocean in Santa Monica, but those stops are not options on the rapidbus.net site. Maybe SM should jump on the band wagon here.

·
"There It Is, Take It!"
981 Posts
Metro Rapid on Your Web-Enabled Cellphone

http://www.rapidbus.net

How Does It Work?
Selected bus services are equipped with a transponder for vehicle
tracking. Using this position information, the Los Angeles Transit
Priority System helps buses to stay on schedule and reduce delays on
bus routes. Additionally, this data is used to develop the bus arrival
predictions in real-time which are made available via the public
Internet.

How Can I Access The Bus Arrival Information?
The information can be accessed by any Internet enabled devices such
as desktop browsers, cellular phones, PDAs, and other mobile devices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts