SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Ice Road Metaller
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

There are 2,880 km of highways in Equatorial Guinea, the majority of which were not paved in 2002. Equatorial Guinea's roads and highways are underdeveloped, but improving. During the rainy season, roads are frequently impassable without four-wheel drive vehicles.
There is a ferry between Malabo, Bata and Douala (Cameroon).

Across Malabo and into surrounding cities, such as Sipopo, there are numerous road construction and infrastructure projects underway

·
Translator and traveller
506 Posts
Good thread. I like that 'Carretera de doble vía' for 'dual carriageway road'. By the way, you could add 'Carreteras de Guinea Ecuatorial' to the thread title.

·
Ice Road Metaller
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ Mods should add it to the thread title cause I don't know how to do it :dunno:

EDIT: Found and corrected :)

·
Ice Road Metaller
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Road in Malabo.
Equatorial Guinea's oil revenue is being heavily invested in the modernization of highways, the construction of schools, hospitals and social housing, and the modernization of communication infrastructure like radio, television and telephone.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
^^ What I know it's that this revenue is being invested in something very different. Despite being a very rich country for African standards, the Guinean people are getting very little of their resources. Equatorial Guinea is one of the countries with a highest Gini coefficient in the world.

·
Ice Road Metaller
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ What I know it's that this revenue is being invested in something very different. Despite being a very rich country for African standards, the Guinean people are getting very little of their resources. Equatorial Guinea is one of the countries with a highest Gini coefficient in the world.
You are right. Equatorial Guinea has one of the highest GDP and economic growth in the world, but at least 50% of the population live in poverty. This is the problem when a country is ruled by a dictator. However due this economic growth the lack of infrastructures was a problem, so the goverment had to invest money in them, especially about roads (in 1999 only 405 Km of roads were paved). Even tourism, pratically absent until 2004, is going to be a resource now. So let's hope that the situation will improve for guinean people as well

·
Ice Road Metaller
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mbini Grand Bridge (Bolondo-Mbini), on the continental part of the country. The lenght is 1,057 meters and more than 80 meters in height in its main tower over Wele River/Rio Benito. The construction was realized by the company China Road and completely financed by the Government of Equatorial Guinea. It has braced bridge structures and a central T-beam in the form of an inverted "H"; two lanes in each direction, with each lane being 4.5 meters wide and two sidewalks of 1.25 meters; the designed traffic speed is 60 km/hour; the subgrade width is 13 m; the maximum transversal slope of the bridge is 2% and wind speed of 14 m/sec. Works started on January 2011 and the birdge opened to traffic on 3rd August 2012.
Actually is the longest bridge in the country, surpassing the one of Sendje, which is 800 meters long.

·
52,869 Posts
New motorway east of Bata. According to sources it will be 85 kilometers long, but Google has drawn its alignment all the way from Bata to near the border with Gabon, making it closer to 200 kilometers in length. Google Earth imagery confirms earthworks of a new wide road east of Bata.

I found these photos:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts