SkyscraperCity banner

3101 - 3120 of 3144 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
[GR] Greece | road infrastructure • Ελληνικοί Αυτοκινητόδρομοι

Interesting! So it has started work now on A1 between Chalástra and NMK border?

What kind of work is that they have started on that route? Is it new asphalt? This is needed. Are they in the process of overhauling the old motorway lighting on the route and maybe removing it?

Or is it the other job they do on this motorway?

Are these sudden upgrades due to the fact that the motorway in Serbia and Northern Macedonia is so modern and has such a high standard? So they even want the Greek section to correspond in standard?

The works that are doing , is of maintainance , by putting new asphalt layer on some parts of that tract or some mild repairs of the road ( that part that is called emergency lane but is used as a second lane from everybody lol .Still they dont know when a serious procedure and initiative will start off but as our friend says here they dont give a damn yet about that tract in a serious and formal way. The lack of an agreement with NMK was one of the reasons why that part was left on its own and demise , plus some political reasons . On the other hand , though, there are some people within the givernement that they want this part done as soon as possible , but this road is oart of Egnatia Odos. So in case the governement doenst rush things , we will have to wait first for the privatisation of Egnatia , and then we will have some serious outlook .

·
Registered
156 Posts
[GR] Greece | road infrastructure • Ελληνικοί Αυτοκινητόδρομοι

Tolls. After the agreement between the companies of the road network , by the end of the first semester ( we believe around july , august max september ) we are going to need only one tag for all the highways , but still it will have the limitations that we have already mentioned ;It will not be a new tag but instead the tags that the drivers are currently using , aka one from the companies;it doesnt matter if its from Attiki Odo , Olympia Odo or Nea Odos, one is enough to do the job . Charging each one of them only at the toll boths specific for that company or online and the special offers that each highway company has apply only for the owners of the company specific tag . In other words if i use eway pass that has discounts on some toll booths of the aegan motorway i will not be able to have special offers that are active in other motorways ( attiki odos , rio antirio bridge etc ) . Another interesting thing sis that Egnatia will make available for the travellers that own tags from the other companies to pay the booths through tag system (etc system) , despite the fact that
Egnatia hasnt yet given any tags of its own .So during summer , for frequent travellers , it would be super usefull , especially now that Egnatia has several frontal toll stations on its whole Highway

·
Registered
190 Posts
^^
Media reports have been wrongly suggesting a proportional charge to be implented along with these changes, but i don't think this is the case here. This has only to do with the interoperabillity of tolls e-pass systems, as i understand it. It's an improvement, but still, the frequent frontal tolls remain a problem.

To Uppsala, I don't know if you're being deliberately obsessive about that stretch of A1 so as to point out the lower standard compared to our northern neighbors or you just really care about that road! Either way, I highly doubt we'll be getting any major news on that stretch in 2020.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A5:Ionia odos :
Talks between the Minister of Infrastructures and Transport with the local Regional Commission of Epirus have been concluded and all parts have agreed to begin the procedure ,financing and future tendering for the missing part between Ioannina and Kakavia ( AL border) .There are some good news and bad news
Good news . They will give half of the new road from Ioannina I/C with Egnatia till the town of Kalpaki 2x2 with tolls to the Ionian odos company .
The Bad news. The rest of the road will be 2x1 and some parts will have new trajectory (probably avoiding the towns and villages ) and they dont know if it will be tolled as well. The commission though it is fighting to make also that part a highway .We attend to see how it will end

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Good news . They will give half of the new road from Ioannina I/C with Egnatia till the town of Kalpaki 2x2 with tolls to the Ionian odos company .
The Bad news. The rest of the road will be 2x1 and some parts will have new trajectory (probably avoiding the towns and villages ) and they dont know if it will be tolled as well. The commission though it is fighting to make also that part a highway .We attend to see how it will end
They may as well build the 2+2 and wait to see what traffic levels are like, a half profile 1+1 road would be just as useful as a 2+1 anyway as long as it is a full motorway alignment apart from the width.

Tolled 1+1 is common in SE Europe, Hungary and Croatia for example.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Talks between the Minister of Infrastructures and Transport with the local Regional Commission of Epirus have been concluded and all parts have agreed to begin the procedure ,financing and future tendering for the missing part between Ioannina and Kakavia ( AL border) .There are some good news and bad news
The part from Kalpaki to the border is already a new built (okay, some 25 years or so ago), very wide road wich you can describe as expressway. It already avoids villages and it can easily be upgraded to 2+1 or even 2+2. Look at Streetview:

https://www.google.de/maps/@39.9066925,20.474954,3a,75y,112.58h,88.65t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sRO82D3UexxB8KleKntDlMw!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=RO82D3UexxB8KleKntDlMw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=226.7957&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Making Ioaninna-Kalpaki and then using the existant road is sufficent!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The part from Kalpaki to the border is already a new built (okay, some 25 years or so ago), very wide road wich you can describe as expressway. It already avoids villages and it can easily be upgraded to 2+1 or even 2+2. Look at Streetview:

https://www.google.de/maps/@39.9066925,20.474954,3a,75y,112.58h,88.65t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sRO82D3UexxB8KleKntDlMw!2e0!6s//geo3.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=RO82D3UexxB8KleKntDlMw&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=226.7957&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656

Making Ioaninna-Kalpaki and then using the existant road is sufficent!

Great from Albanian site is also planned to be built an motorway but the government hasn’t financed yet. Is still on discussion,the government is waiting the BE to take part of it which will take time I guess

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've read somewhere that there will be new toll stations and toll rates on Egnatia Odos starting from May 2020. (In connection with its privatization)

Is that true? If so, where can I find any up-to-date information on it? (location of toll booths and rates)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've read somewhere that there will be new toll stations and toll rates on Egnatia Odos starting from May 2020. (In connection with its privatization)

Is that true? If so, where can I find any up-to-date information on it? (location of toll booths and rates)

https://www.helppost.gr/agenda/diodia-times-xartis-stathmoi/ the most up to date is this article. Each highway company has its own website with toll fees . Since there are not any huge changes they post periodicaly from time to time some updates or articles on web . Always search toll station greece or τιμες διοδιων ελλαδα and on search tool put last month or year

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes is the west peripherical road that has that small part not finished and according to the plan they should do it somehwere in between 2024 till 2037 lol

·
Registered
597 Posts
There's a road under construction here that intrigues me. You can even see some works on Street view. Google imagery shows no progress at all in the recent years. Does somebody know what is it about?
This section was to be part of the A65, as it continues to the NR8 in order to crate a western ring road from Ano Liosia and the Attiki Odos (A6), continuing further from the NR8 to the port of Piraeus....what happened there is-in a nutshell-a huge story, apart from a huge waste of public money in the late 1990's-early 2000's....

·
50,108 Posts
What is the route number for the road from Komotini to the Bulgarian border at Nimfea? Google Maps says it's A23 (but it's not a motorway) and OSM has no road number. I couldn't find a number on Street View either.

The border crossing opened in 2013. It involved a 65 kilometer road upgrade of both I/5 in Bulgaria and this 'A23' in Greece, from Kardzhali to Komotini.

·
Roads Enthusiast
299 Posts
What is the route number for the road from Komotini to the Bulgarian border at Nimfea? Google Maps says it's A23 (but it's not a motorway) and OSM has no road number. I couldn't find a number on Street View either.

The border crossing opened in 2013. It involved a 65 kilometer road upgrade of both I/5 in Bulgaria and this 'A23' in Greece, from Kardzhali to Komotini.

It does not have any.
The designation A23 was given with the ministerial decree of 2008 and then taken away in 2015, by another ministerial decree.

·
Registered
12,127 Posts
^^
It is under construction. The works have recently started and the schedule for the BCP is to be ready by the end of the year. I cannot figure out, however, how heavy trucks are going to drive along this mountainous 1+1 road. There are a lot of curves and slopes. The highest point reaches at some point north of Smolyan 1430m above sea level and winters are typically full of snow there in the Rodhope Mountains. I am not sure if work is not temporarily suspended right now.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Athens nowdays

3101 - 3120 of 3144 Posts