Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i would post about the pain that is so called tagging that is making this city look pretty shabby. Everywhere you look in the centre there is graffitti daubed on buildings/walls etc, they all seem to be done by the same few fools. I think the public should make a stance in order for the council/police to do something and stop our buildings from being blighted from this mess, you cannot even call it art. I am sure the people who come to invest in Liverpool must be put off by this.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Just thought i would post about the pain that is so called tagging that is making this city look pretty shabby. Everywhere you look in the centre there is graffitti daubed on buildings/walls etc, they all seem to be done by the same few fools. I think the public should make a stance in order for the council/police to do something and stop our buildings from being blighted from this mess, you cannot even call it art. I am sure the people who come to invest in Liverpool must be put off by this.

have you been to Rome, Amsterdam, Berlin,New York ..
if its just investing worried about

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I quite like street art/tagging when it is done right. I prefer a bit of graffitti to a load of huge advertising bollards, especially the monstrosity on St Johns which ruins the vistas of St Georges Hall and makes a questionable first impression on people arriving at Lime Street.

Graffitti is an art form which lacks traditional hierarchies and barriers to entry, and it is quite a tourist attraction in its own right (think Berlin or Rio in particular). Liverpool has had a couple of Banksy's which got people excited. People also seem to love the Liver-Bird wings by Paul Curtis, which populate thousands of Facebook profile pictures. They have quickly become an iconic visual representation of the city, especially amongst the young:

It's also a decent local export. You have collectives such as Zap who have an international reputation. They also do some great work getting kids involved with art and doing legitimate murals for bars, clubs and at various locations around the city:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/four-massive-graffiti-murals-created-14432380

I suppose what I'm saying is don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Inappropriately located tags are annoying, and people who persist in creating them tend to be frozen out of their communities. There are many people such as myself who find graffitti pleasing to the eye. I see it as being on par with Liverpool's vibrant busking scene. There are some awful buskers around, but some are very good. The beauty is that it is the individual - not a curator - who makes that decision. Having said that, there are undoubtedly places where it is more appropriate than others (i.e., Baltic Triangle as opposed to St Georges plateau).

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
Tagging is not the same as street art or grafitti, though. Tagging usually involves on someone scrawling their initials, or a symbol, over a surface - and has no artistic merit whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Tagging is not the same as street art or grafitti, though. Tagging usually involves on someone scrawling their initials, or a symbol, over a surface - and has no artistic merit whatsoever.
The OP conflates the two. There can sometimes be a degree of overlap though. Some of the best artists put a lot of time into developing their own fonts, which are often as distinctive as the imagery that they produce. They can also be a reflection of the urban environment, for example with elongated features which keep perspective on tall buildings when viewing them from below at a sharp angle.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
On a more general note, it is perhaps worth pointing out that one of the most sought after works of art in recent times was Jean Michael Basquait's "untitled", which sold for £85 million last year. That places him in the same league as Picasso, Warhol and Munch. As such, we're talking about a very popular and sought after art form. I'd very much like Liverpool to remain a part of it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I detest graffiti with a passion. Talentless egoists showing off third rate daubs and claiming it as art form is more emperors new clothes than even low level creativity. European cities are blighted by this mindless vandalism but so far the UK has got off lightly - long may that continue.

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
Liverpool doesn't have enough good quality street art, in my opinion. Although, a bit more has appeared in recent weeks as a result of the street art festival:

The Baltic:

Islington: ( I suppose this style is a cross-over between tagging and street art)

This, behind the two women, is just tagging, though - and an ugly mess:

The stuff on the skate park in the baltic is acceptable in its very specific location, I think:

Tagging on the Churchill flyover:

Tagging in the passageway, now developed, at Wolstonehome Square:

Tagging on the Lewis's building:

Manchester has quite a vibrant, and good, street art culture, I think:

( Stevenson Square)

Northern Quarter:

..and Glasgow has this ( St Mungo) great piece by Smug ( lots in Belfast):

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I love street art and I'm thrilled that there's going to be a Keith Haring exhibition at the Tate next year. 1980s postmodern Manhattan street artist, Haring scrawled on subways mainly, and found himself arrested but now his art is highly rated. At first his work appears simplistic perhaps superficial yet Haring was concerned with socio political causes like apartheid, AIDS and gay rights.

I like it I think it's funky and captures the mileu perfectly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Street art, when done in the right place, is fantastic, on the other hand, tagging is nothing but destruction to private and public property. As mentioned previously places like New York, Rome, Amsterdam and Berlin all have graffiti, but the difference with these places is that they are all major cities which have already had a lot of investment, where Liverpool is still trying to get the investment pumped in.
The rise of tagging in Liverpool over the last few years seems to have coincided with the integration of Eastern Europeans into the region which makes me put two and two together. There needs to be tougher penalties for these idiots in the form of fines and/or community service in which they need to clear this mess up.

·
Human Being
43,390 Posts
Street art, when done in the right place, is fantastic, on the other hand, tagging is nothing but destruction to private and public property. As mentioned previously places like New York, Rome, Amsterdam and Berlin all have graffiti, but the difference with these places is that they are all major cities which have already had a lot of investment, where Liverpool is still trying to get the investment pumped in.
The rise of tagging in Liverpool over the last few years seems to have coincided with the integration of Eastern Europeans into the region which makes me put two and two together. There needs to be tougher penalties for these idiots in the form of fines and/or community service in which they need to clear this mess up.

I'm really not sure about your association of eastern europeans and the emergence of tagging in Liverpool....Seems a bit of a leap to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm really not sure about your association of eastern europeans and the emergence of tagging in Liverpool....Seems a bit of a leap to me.

It was never mentioned that the emergence of tagging was associated with Eastern Europeans, as you will be aware tagging has been a problem for Liverpool for many years. My point was that the rapid explosion of tagging seems to have come about since Liverpool has opened their arms to our European cousins. As advised in other posts tagging is very popular across Europe, and as you will see most of the tags are from the same few fools.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts