SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Banned
43 Posts
you actually asked this question? Brazil is a free country and anyone can live where they will have, provided you have a financial position to do so. This kind of racist question is regrettable. And by the way if you do not see nearly black in the pictures is because Rio Grande do Sul is due to the fact that black people represents 5.2% of the state population, and the region as a lawn across the Serra Gaucha is less than in the southern region of the state where there was use of slave labor during the colonial period and the Empire of Brazil. But black people, white or yellow people is welcome in any place!! ;)
I know something about Brazilian History and i know people from "Black" Northern Brazil migrated to some States like Sao Pilo. But i wonder why, even nowadays, when you have in Brazil what you call freedom, the quantity of black people in southern streets are so wispy.

I can assume that there is some kind of racism against them or something alike? Otherwise they'd move from their poor regions to those States, am i wrong? Just like what happens in America. Even "no slavish" states attracted by their economic power a lot of black people from the South. And nowadays there're a lot of cities that have a goodly black population. If what you say is truth, why there're so few black people in Southern Brazil?

·
Orgulho de ser Gaúcho
5,057 Posts
I know something about Brazilian History and i know people from "Black" Northern Brazil migrated to some States like Sao Pilo. But i wonder why, even nowadays, when you have in Brazil what you call freedom, the quantity of black people in southern streets are so wispy.

I can assume that there is some kind of racism against them or something alike? Otherwise they'd move from their poor regions to those States, am i wrong? Just like what happens in America. Even "no slavish" states attracted by their economic power a lot of black people from the South. And nowadays there're a lot of cities that have a goodly black population. If what you say is truth, why there're so few black people in Southern Brazil?
Well, there are several economic and sociological explanations for this. The first is the proximity to the land of origin, according to the provision of employment, cultural differences third and fourth climate.

1) Sao Paulo is the richest state, is the most industrialized and near the northeast of Brazil. And it isn't true that there was a migration of blacks from the northeast to the southeast,the most part of this people are browns , because the two states with large volume of blacks is Rio de Janeiro and Bahia for being the places where they were landed to work on farms sugar cane and coffee, the point is that in this process there was a lot mixing between different races, so people were losing the purity of their race. The south is the region with the lowest social inequality, but did not suffer the development boom that hit São Paulo, one of the reasons the south be less attractive.

2)I already anticipated the second point. São Paulo was and remains the main economic and industrial powerhouse of Brazil, the South also has developed industrial and economically, but far be accounted for families northeastern seeking better conditions of life in the big city. Nowadays the flow of migrants is quite different, first because the Brazilian Northeast has received many incentives from the Brazilian government to develop and has progressed accordingly, reducing the flow to other regions, and many are even leaving the northeastern to southeastern back to yours region for the opportunities that are being created. The Paraná for being a neighbor São Paulo and be in a period of robust growth has been attractive and received a large amount of immigrants from all regions. And Paraná, southern state is the closest to the northeast and central western Brazil. But today's migrants are represented by whites, blacks, browns and yellows and this migration has been from people with more knowledge and who have already conquered opportunity, not an adventure uncertain as it happened in the '50s to '80s.

3)3) The cultural issue is also important, Brazil is a country of continental dimensions composed not only of all races, different ethnicities also received, which meant that from one state to another in the same region there were significant cultural differences, and each has its own identity, its own accent, regional words that are not used in neighboring worldview and way of developing different. If in the same region exist large these differences , the greater the cultural differences between the Northeast and the South that had very different histories and training, making it harder adaptability, coupled with homesickness, family and things that are familiar and typical of their region and culture. It's almost like the experience of moving country, such is the diversity of this country. As usually the international view is simplistic and worldview dictated by Europe and North America, people tend to think that Brazil is a homogeneous country, which is a big mistake. In my state Rio Grande do Sul, I can speak more property there are marked differences between regions. In the metropolitan area is where everything is mixed, but even there are differences.There cosmopolitan cities like Porto Alegre, the capital city where everything is mixed, but there are city Germanic accent suffering influence of Germanic dialects still present, even these German immigrants having come in 1820. In the south it blends in way of being Portuguese influence with Spanish, Sierra Gaucha cities founded by Germans and Italians for other each with its typical architecture, his accent influenced by the people of origin. Even the Rio Grande do Sul isn't homogenous state imagine a country with the size of Brazil.

4)Last and least is the fear of cold, which may seem strange but true, perhaps unknow of many here, but the brazilian climate is not only tropical, in the south the climate is subtropical with hot summers and cold winters. Of course we are not talking about a Siberian climate, but different from the north, northeastern and midwest where it is hot all year round and temperatures are between 22 ° C and 38 ° C almost year-round, in the southern, especially in Rio Grande do Sul at 4 seasons are well defined, and several winter temperatures of -5 ° C to 15 ° C and that scares people who are not used to the cold, frosts are common in the mountains and eventually there snowfall in some winter days.

These are some reasons why you still seen minos black an brown people in my state, and nothing have to see with racism or some restriction for some race.
But I'm not willing to sell the image of a paradise, as in all societies in the world there is discrimination, whether by race, by religion, sexual orientation or economic level unfortunately, we are humans too. ;)

·
Banned
43 Posts
Well, there are several economic and sociological explanations for this. The first is the proximity to the land of origin, according to the provision of employment, cultural differences third and fourth climate.

1) Sao Paulo is the richest state, is the most industrialized and near the northeast of Brazil. And it isn't true that there was a migration of blacks from the northeast to the southeast,the most part of this people are browns , because the two states with large volume of blacks is Rio de Janeiro and Bahia for being the places where they were landed to work on farms sugar cane and coffee, the point is that in this process there was a lot mixing between different races, so people were losing the purity of their race. The south is the region with the lowest social inequality, but did not suffer the development boom that hit São Paulo, one of the reasons the south be less attractive.

2)I already anticipated the second point. São Paulo was and remains the main economic and industrial powerhouse of Brazil, the South also has developed industrial and economically, but far be accounted for families northeastern seeking better conditions of life in the big city. Nowadays the flow of migrants is quite different, first because the Brazilian Northeast has received many incentives from the Brazilian government to develop and has progressed accordingly, reducing the flow to other regions, and many are even leaving the northeastern to southeastern back to yours region for the opportunities that are being created. The Paraná for being a neighbor São Paulo and be in a period of robust growth has been attractive and received a large amount of immigrants from all regions. And Paraná, southern state is the closest to the northeast and central western Brazil. But today's migrants are represented by whites, blacks, browns and yellows and this migration has been from people with more knowledge and who have already conquered opportunity, not an adventure uncertain as it happened in the '50s to '80s.

3)3) The cultural issue is also important, Brazil is a country of continental dimensions composed not only of all races, different ethnicities also received, which meant that from one state to another in the same region there were significant cultural differences, and each has its own identity, its own accent, regional words that are not used in neighboring worldview and way of developing different. If in the same region exist large these differences , the greater the cultural differences between the Northeast and the South that had very different histories and training, making it harder adaptability, coupled with homesickness, family and things that are familiar and typical of their region and culture. It's almost like the experience of moving country, such is the diversity of this country. As usually the international view is simplistic and worldview dictated by Europe and North America, people tend to think that Brazil is a homogeneous country, which is a big mistake. In my state Rio Grande do Sul, I can speak more property there are marked differences between regions. In the metropolitan area is where everything is mixed, but even there are differences.There cosmopolitan cities like Porto Alegre, the capital city where everything is mixed, but there are city Germanic accent suffering influence of Germanic dialects still present, even these German immigrants having come in 1820. In the south it blends in way of being Portuguese influence with Spanish, Sierra Gaucha cities founded by Germans and Italians for other each with its typical architecture, his accent influenced by the people of origin. Even the Rio Grande do Sul isn't homogenous state imagine a country with the size of Brazil.

4)Last and least is the fear of cold, which may seem strange but true, perhaps unknow of many here, but the brazilian climate is not only tropical, in the south the climate is subtropical with hot summers and cold winters. Of course we are not talking about a Siberian climate, but different from the north, northeastern and midwest where it is hot all year round and temperatures are between 22 ° C and 38 ° C almost year-round, in the southern, especially in Rio Grande do Sul at 4 seasons are well defined, and several winter temperatures of -5 ° C to 15 ° C and that scares people who are not used to the cold, frosts are common in the mountains and eventually there snowfall in some winter days.

These are some reasons why you still seen minos black an brown people in my state, and nothing have to see with racism or some restriction for some race.
But I'm not willing to sell the image of a paradise, as in all societies in the world there is discrimination, whether by race, by religion, sexual orientation or economic level unfortunately, we are humans too. ;)
It still sounds strange because Diversity to me, means exactly the contrary to what you're saying. For example, New York or London are diverse cities to me, because there are many different ethnicities living together. If you have a big country, with a lot of brown and black people that live in a poor region, known for it's strong emigration historic and you have a moderately developed region where almost 100% of it's people are white, there is definitely something wrong. Sorry if i'm being unseemly, It just don't match and to me it doesn't seem like diversity at all but segregation, for some unexplained reason.

But i understand its polemic to talk about racial issues to Brazilians in this forum so i'll stop it. Anyway Thank you for your very nice explanation, although as a sociologist, i still think it seems more like segregation than diversity. Thank you.

·
Orgulho de ser Gaúcho
5,057 Posts
It still sounds strange because Diversity to me, means exactly the contrary to what you're saying. For example, New York or London are diverse cities to me, because there are many different ethnicities living together. If you have a big country, with a lot of brown and black people that live in a poor region, known for it's strong emigration historic and you have a moderately developed region where almost 100% of it's people are white, there is definitely something wrong. Sorry if i'm being unseemly, It just don't match and to me it doesn't seem like diversity at all but segregation, for some unexplained reason.

But i understand its polemic to talk about racial issues to Brazilians in this forum so i'll stop it. Anyway Thank you for your very nice explanation, although as a sociologist, i still think it seems more like segregation than diversity. Thank you.
I respect but disagree with your opinion. You speak of New York and London as if these cities doens´t exist lower class , middle class or rich neighborhoods, as if there doesn´t exist ethnic sectorization like Chinatown, Latin or blacks neighborhoods .These same concentration of ethnic groups that ultimately set yet so that some extra official neighborhoods, happens on a larger scale in Brazil and we are not talking about the city, we're talking about migration between states. Porto Alegre, the capital you're going to realize that there are a greater variety of different ethnic groups and different from what occurs in the U.S. or European cities, no such segregation by race or ethnicity, there is a segregation of purchasing power, but it is a global phenomenon. The segregation that you talking about leaves in your mind, trust me. ;)
By the way, you shouldn´t think that these economic and sociological phenomenons are the same in anywhere, you have to consider the culture,
the history.
Gramado is not a industrial city, it´s a small turistic city, so it´s natural that doesn´t have a lot of immigrants.

Where are you from?

·
Registered
18,250 Posts

I'm sorry, but you're sounding stupid, and frankly, offensive. Why there is no Black people in Japan? Or in New Zealand? Or in Vermont? Most of the South was settled AFTER the abolition of slavery. It was occupied by the huge influx of Europeans in the late XIX and early XX century, looking for a new life in the Americas.

RVpoa explained to you, patiently, the reasons why the South didn't attracted migrants from other parts of Brazil. however, you, for some reason, decide to ignore him. South is indeed wealthier, but as Northeast, the region used to expel people, not attract them. People from South migrated massively to Midwest (after farmland) on the past decades. So, no, no Northeasterner would try a new life in small towns lost in the middle of South when they have a megacity like São Paulo waiting for them. Worth mentioning, by 1940, São Paulo was 90% White, which didn't prevent millions of Mixed Northeasterners to move into them, disproving your absurd theory by which people couldn't move freely in Brazil. This is not South Africa.

Finally, it's just laughable comparing cities like London and New York with a 30,000 people town in Rio Grande do Sul's hinterland.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm sorry, but you're sounding stupid, and frankly, offensive. Why there is no Black people in Japan? Or in New Zealand? Or in Vermont? Most of the South was settled AFTER the abolition of slavery. It was occupied by the huge influx of Europeans in the late XIX and early XX century, looking for a new life in the Americas.

RVpoa explained to you, patiently, the reasons why the South didn't attracted migrants from other parts of Brazil. however, you, for some reason, decide to ignore him. South is indeed wealthier, but as Northeast, the region used to expel people, not attract them. People from South migrated massively to Midwest (after farmland) on the past decades. So, no, no Northeasterner would try a new life in small towns lost in the middle of South when they have a megacity like São Paulo waiting for them. Worth mentioning, by 1940, São Paulo was 90% White, which didn't prevent millions of Mixed Northeasterners to move into them, disproving your absurd theory by which people couldn't move freely in Brazil. This is not South Africa.

Finally, it's just laughable comparing cities like London and New York with a 30,000 people town in Rio Grande do Sul's hinterland.
Yuri S Andrade, that was just awesome. Thanks for making a complete class about our country. A FREE COUNTRY! Anyone here can move for wherever they want. ANY city of the 5540 that we have. Thanks again!!! Ignorance is something that we born with. Keep it whole life is completely a choice ;)

·
Orgulho de ser Gaúcho
5,057 Posts
Awesome the new photos, amazing how is beautiful Gramado, you need put some photos with snow. :)

41 - 60 of 146 Posts