• 3 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Located on 42nd Street between Lexington and Vanderbilt Avenues in
Manhattan, New York, New York, is one of the world's most famous, and busiest train station. Serving approximately 500,000 people every day who use the commuter trains to get to surrounding areas, or one of the NYC subway lines that connect here.

You will be awed by the grandeur of the Main Concourse, with its majestic staircase and vaulted ceiling, which has been recently restored so the constellations of the zodiac (painted gold) almost twinkle against the blue background. This cleaning was part of a two-year, $175 million restoration of Grand Central station.

You will love the impressive Beaux-Arts exterior view of the clock and the Minerva, Mercury and Hercules statues, seen on the south side of the station as you travel north on Park Avenue. This view is especially beautiful at night.

While you are at Grand Central, make a stop at the famous Oyster Bar or simply find a corner from which to enjoy one of the musicians that is invariably playing in the Concourse or to watch the crowds hurry by in an afternoon rush hour. Grand Central is a must visit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
8.5 It would be higher except I actually saw Penn Station in person, and it seemed more Grand than Grand Central Station. Plus, that darn Met Life building ruined the views up and down Park Avenue.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, but we are not rating the Metlife or comparing it to Penn Station...We are rating Grand Central.

Tazmaniadevil, what year were you born?

·
Registered
87 Posts
from the zodiac constellations painted on the ceiling to the large arched windows....Grand Central is completely mesmerizing.
And its located in one my favorite places in the city! a definite 10

·
...wolf in cheap clothing
734 Posts
10, if for no other reason than the grand clock. However, the building itself shows how to perfectly meld light and the substance of a building.

As an aside, the architect of this building, Rafael Guastavino, is buried in a church, the Basilica of St. Lawrence, in the city where I live. The basilica was his last project.

·
17,935 Posts
8.5/10

·
Banned
1,820 Posts
My main jist is with the actual platforms which are a stain on the otherwise grand and outstanding concourse and the associated corridors. Hence when ever people talk about GC they will only show the concourse, but not the actual train platforms. Its like they spent all the money on the above ground sections, but totally neglected the actual platform areas where most people coming into GC from the commuter rail lines actually 'spend their time'.

The platforms aren't third world, but its very trogloditical from what is above. This could have been intentional, as to give the illusion that you commute in from the darkness (the sub-world) into a light and holy New York, then commuting at the end of the day back into the void aftermath! I give it a6.5. That might sound harsh, but if the platforms were radically over-hauled to be more airy, volumous and absorbing rather than some black dingy, un-welcoming void then it would have got higher points. It would have received 10 had there been far less platforms and an actual train shed to allow actual sunlight to reach the platforms.

Reactions: mrsmartman
1 - 20 of 88 Posts