SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(bandwidth warning)

My camera's fixed so I thought Id start a thread on the nice old buildings around the city of Adelaide. Ive got a few more that I need to take but here's the start

Pirie Street

Grenfell Street

Tattersalls club could do with a wash

state bank/SA bank building

Currie Street

the orginal Elders headquarters

T & G building

my favourite

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I was going through Adelaide just the other day and thought the same thing. People rag on it all they want but I'm proud to call myself an Adelaidian.

·
Registered
14,359 Posts
Very nice photos, thanks a lot :)

Adelaide IMO is the only city which can rival Melbourne in terms of old world charm and prestige, in Australia. So many old buildings, so much history, so elegant. I think that Melbourne wins out because not only does it have lots of these types of buildings, but it has better known ones such as Flinders St Station, Myer Emporium, Royal Exhibition Building, Captain Cook's Cottage, Block Arcade etc.

But enough about Melbourne. Adelaide is the clear second in my books, and instead of people bagging it all the time, they should take the positives. Adelaide has its own unique charm and charisma and isn't just a modern concrete jungle like Perth.

·
Streetwalker
7,025 Posts
I see Adelaide has loads of beautiful commercial buildings from the interwar period. Thanks for the pics. :yes:

·
Premium Member
8,707 Posts
I really like the T&G, and also the Bavarian style place on Pulteney Street.

Does the roof of the Colonial Mutual look the same now, because it looks really cool in the old shot.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts