SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
34,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
St Wulfram's the main parish church in Grantham. At 82 metres to the tip of the spire this makes it as tall as Lincoln Cathedral just about. It's one of the tallest churches in the country and is particularly impressive thanks to the oversized spire and tower. This is common place in Lincolnshire, both Louth and Newark (which was Lincolnshire when built) have similarly sized churches.

This shot is of the front of the church. You can see the statues in niches which we will come to later. The perspective effect is caused by the fact the thing is so damn high.

Moving further back we get this shot. Very picture postcard.

Here's the back of St Wulfram's with graveyard.

You can see it from all around Grantham

See how the left-hand corner in this shot is wider than the other columns of the tower and has arrow slits. This is because it has the staircase for the tower running inside it.

One of the money shots to be taken of this is from the train which gives you a clear view of the church. Here I was slightly too late.

Another vertical panorama shot. I regret not going a bit wider to the left with this to get more balance. Oh well.

This is an old trick of using the light in one side of the picture with the other side having less causing a naturally gradiented sky.

This is one of the statues in the niches that occupy the frontage. There's twelve so I assume they are the disciples.

There's also plenty of garoyles... this one with its tongue out clearly needs to be fined for anti social behaviour.

... and being a church it has of course been branded with their recognisable logo. Plenty of depth of field here.

And finally, a gravestone from the era of Jane Austen. Well why not

·
Registered Abuser
17,047 Posts
Hmm, how old is it gothic roughly? The two aisle windows left and right in picture one are different sizes and designs, looks like it's got a bit of history there.
I know I'm incredibly late in answering this, but I know you're still around.

I asked the woman in there how old the church was, and she said it was constructed between 1100 and 1400 AD.

It's home to the countries oldest public library.

Something a Library in Manchester disputes, however the books in St Wulframs were for the general public to borrow, were as the books in the Manchester library were for a school to borrow.

With Issac Newtons school being directly next door, he almost certainly would have paid visits to the church and maybe it's library.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts