SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are certain areas of Chicago I don't go. Generally those areas are either way the hell out of my way or, seing as how I'm a 5'10" skinny white boy, would get me shot. Edgewater would be the former. So it came as a suprise to me that when looking at the neighborhood, I found this monstosity called Granville Tower.

I cannot believe something this ugly was built in this town. It blew me away. It looks like something from a 3rd world country.

More Pics and info (Emporis)

·
Registered
41 Posts
STR said:
There are certain areas of Chicago I don't go. Generally those areas are either way the hell out of my way or, seing as how I'm a 5'10" skinny white boy, would get me shot. Edgewater would be the former. So it came as a suprise to me that when looking at the neighborhood, I found this monstosity called Granville Tower.

I cannot believe something this ugly was built in this town. It blew me away. It looks like something from a 3rd world country.

More Pics and info (Emporis)
^
Good God, I could see myself living in this conglomeration. Then again, I WAS born in a developing country. Er, reason over tradition, reason over tradition...

In all seriousness, the city is prone to extremes of climate, of wealth, and, in this case, of masterpiece designs and FUBAR hackjobs. I wonder how far it is from the Red Line?

BTW, were you at the last meeting?

·
Banned
757 Posts
I grew up in this neighborhood and knew people who have lived there....I always considered it misplaced 1960's dissonance

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Sorry...I'm going to show my bias here. To me there is no place within our great city where the concept of high rise and civilized density has gone as amuck as that toally brutal stretch of Sheridan Road from Hollywood to Devon. This is a place that is horrible to walk and impossible to drive (busses in the right lane, left turners...with no left turn lanes on the right)...plus high rises that don't only line the lake but the west side of the street as well. Much of the architecture here is uninsprinng at best and lakefront buildings are aligned east-to-west to maximize the number of units with water views. Thanks God for the Catholics, Jews, and Greek Orthodox who manage to break up this mess with their religous institutions.

As for Granville Tower...it just ain't all that worse than the rest. And it also required some unusual configurtion for a building where every unit has two floors.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been inside a rehabbed unit in the building, and it was actually very nice. Two floors and spectacular views. (The best part of the view IMO of course being that you couldn't see the building you were in... :) )

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UICist said:
BTW, were you at the last meeting?
Yeah. I handed out poster-sized renderings of Fordham Spire.

·
Oh Hey!
7,177 Posts
non-local here, I must say, that is one ghastly structure. I actually thought it was a tower of smash cars that you see at a junkyard. I am sorry for you Chicagoans

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^Don't feel sorry. It's so far out of the way I've never actually seen it in person, up close at least. I'm not the only who's posted here that's the same.

·
Captain
2,813 Posts
On my first visit to Chicago I stayed in a Hostel near Loyola, and we drove Lakeshore and got that incredible view but this was one of the first buildings I saw actually walking around. I just kind of snickered and moved on.

It's really close to the Red line, maybe a block or two. I saw someone ask that earlier.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
granville tower is one of my absolute favorite buildings in the city. i actually considered buying a place there specifically because i love this building so much. it's one of our city's residential masterpieces, up there with LPT and marina city.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It may not look the best but at least it's different. And that's cool how each unit has 2 floors.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
XCRunner said:
It may not look the best but at least it's different. And that's cool how each unit has 2 floors.
I agree, some diversity. I am sick of the same old boring concrete condos high rises.

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steely Dan said:
granville tower is one of my absolute favorite buildings in the city. i actually considered buying a place there specifically because i love this building so much. it's one of our city's residential masterpieces, up there with LPT and marina city.
And yet you hate RR Donnelly with a passion rarely seen on these boards. :weird:

·
Registered
721 Posts
I love it! And it was nice someone took the time to think out side of the huge verticle slabs we got and are still getting in this city. It is very nice when seen in person.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts