Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 522 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its likely a park/mass of public realm will take up some of the land if only to link it to the marina. I was at an event on Thursday and heard some murmurings about this and GAS. I’m not gonna divulge just yet because I don’t know how certain the plans are.
Looking at the plans below they aren't the full detailed plans of what I heard so maybe this is just cycle and pedestrian improvements.

Originally posted by Manchesterwill

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
I received one of these too- it's not immediately obvious to me what they're actually changing. Would you be able to shed some light on it for me?
This basically.

Proposed Works

Works will:

 Re-align and improve the pedestrian crossing arrangements to improve the functionality and therefore use.

 Enhance the public realm, including new footway materials, street tree planting and rationalised signage to create a sense of place.

 Resurface the existing carriageway to reduce vehicle noise by 40%.

·
Registered
26,726 Posts
Still too many lanes. There should be no roads in the city centre with more than two lanes. No filter lanes either, waste of space. Imagine the number of pocket parks and homes in apartment blocks you'd be able to fit in all the horribly designed filter lanes across central Manchester

·
Registered
429 Posts
Can they not start building a bigger ring road? As in up past Cheetham Hill, down past the Who has, around through Hulme and then down to the quays/Salford roundabout thing. Hope that ring makes sense, does in my head.

Also, Liverpool's strand is about 8 lanes and I quite like it

·
Registered
761 Posts
Still too many lanes. There should be no roads in the city centre with more than two lanes. No filter lanes either, waste of space. Imagine the number of pocket parks and homes in apartment blocks you'd be able to fit in all the horribly designed filter lanes across central Manchester
Sigh!

The Inner Ringroad takes traffic (including traffic merely crossing the city) quickly around the city centre so that said traffic doesn't need to go through it.

Fantasies of reducing lanes and predestrianisng would likely make traffic in the city centre itself worse as drivers try to find a quick way around.

Even fantasy levels of public transport spending wouldn't cure the fact that it is desirable, for drivers and non-drivers alike, to segregate through traffic quickly around the city.

Even with fantasy spending levels there will still be HGVs, those where public transport is impractical or impossible (e.g. due to disability or infirmity or despite fantasy levels of spending public transport is still impractical for their particular journey.

I suspect the day you realise how dire an option public transport is for those not able/wanting to work and live in or very close to the city centre will arrive a lot sooner than you think

·
Registered
659 Posts
In addition Pit-yacker, those that don't have the time to use public transport. A car journey to a friends house takes 15 minutes and is only about 5 miles out of the city. By the quickest public transport it takes well over an hour and two busses, that is if they are running on time, or you don't miss the connection. An HOUR to travel 5 miles by public transport is a disgrace.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you even know how silly that sounds? You wouldn't understand or know how useful filter lanes are as you don't drive.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
It’s the inner ring road. Figure it out.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Cities all around the world much bigger than Manchester manage just fine without filter lanes.

They are a waste of space. Perfect land for apartment blocks, townhouses, or pocket parks
So can you give examples of any cities that have removed all filter lanes as opposed to a handful of pictures of remodelling odd junctions - possibly/probably as part of a wider traffic scheme ?

If you are saying odd ones. Then I'm sure there are plenty of examples of junctions in Manchester that have been remodelled to improve traffic flow.

However, you can't just remove the lot for shits and giggles and expect there to be no consequences such as previously quiet streets being flooded with traffic.

·
Registered
26,726 Posts
So can you give examples of any cities that have removed all filter lanes as opposed to a handful of pictures of remodelling odd junctions - possibly/probably as part of a wider traffic scheme ?

If you are saying odd ones. Then I'm sure there are plenty of examples of junctions in Manchester that have been remodelled to improve traffic flow.

However, you can't just remove the lot for shits and giggles and expect there to be no consequences such as previously quiet streets being flooded with traffic.
No of course not. But I think the Great Ancoats St/Oldham Road junction needs sorting out with less filter lanes, as does the Rochdale Road/Swan St junction, which I used to have to cross every day and it's a horrible ordeal. Put it this way - I'd be annoyed if I was paying all that money to live at Angel Gardens only to find I had to negotiate that road every day

Anyway, this isn't the place for such a debate. I'll be popping down to the public consultation next week and making my thoughts heard there. :cheers:

·
Registered
761 Posts
No of course not. But I think the Great Ancoats St/Oldham Road junction needs sorting out with less filter lanes, as does the Rochdale Road/Swan St junction, which I used to have to cross every day and it's a horrible ordeal. Put it this way - I'd be annoyed if I was paying all that money to live at Angel Gardens only to find I had to negotiate that road every day

Anyway, this isn't the place for such a debate. I'll be popping down to the public consultation next week and making my thoughts heard there. :cheers:
imo the examples you cite have been made worse by the half arsed effort at moving the inner ring-road.

If MCC wanted to move it to accommodate new developments, they should have got their CPO book out and done it wholesale rather than doing a short stretch of one direction.

Although I do realise that option would probably result in the demolition of some pretty historic buildings.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
There is no inalienable right to existing road space. This is about choices and as the city centre economy grows in turn driving the physical growth of the centre, these choices will have to be confronted.

The fact is that busy, wide roads are mutually incompatible with ‘walkability’ for want of a better term and walkability is integral feature of dense, city centre development. You cannot sustain one without the other. Busy, wide roads are also toxic for the quality of life and health of people living nearby.

As the city grows, motorists will just have to accept a reduction in available road space as it’s put to use for higher capacity, more efficient forms of transport and to facilitate city centre growth. Manchester is no different to any other growing city in this regard.

I accept that in an ideal world high quality public transport alternatives should be put in place first, but the way public transport is planned and funded in this country is very far from ideal, therefore we must muddle our way to the sort of clean, efficient, sustainable city we all wish to live in. In short: motorists (of which I am one) must suck it up.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Assuming Manchester continues to grow and densify it will need a big increase in public transport to cope with this. But even with a big decline in private car use other vehicles will flood the streets. The internet economy has seen a massive growth in delivery vehicles, and a big growth in cabs due to Uber etc. You will only see a decline in private traffic if Manchester population does not grow and it's economy is stagnant. Luckily the opposite is happening. I have yet to visit a fast growing town with no traffic problems.

·
was Local lad
3,510 Posts
While I was sat stuck waiting on GAS the other day waiting for the cars to come out of the crappy go nowhere side roads I did have a thought how much smoother it would flow if they just closed them all, and while they were at lowered the road so it runs in a cut and cover tunnel from Miller St/ Rochdale Road all the way to where the trams go under it. If we lived in Spain it would be hidden out of sight already, they bloody love burying stuff!

1 - 20 of 522 Posts