Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A spin-off thread from the British Tower Blocks thread, for all pictures of power stations and cooling towers.

Mr. B started the conversation about cooling towers due to some being demolished near Dumfries.

So, here is a picture of the cooling towers at Ratcliffe on Soar in Nottinghamshire that stef17 so kindly told us about! :pepper:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr. B! :eek:kay: That's like a city in its own right! :eek:

There were protests there some time ago or something to do with the petrol strikes if I remember rightly.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^

I could say something amusing about your reaction, but I won't. :shifty:

I think you're right about the cooling towers where Star City is now, but that's before my time. Here is another photo with them on, taken in 1968 and which is I presume is looking west from Castle Bromwich. Fort Dunlop is also seen on the right:

·
Gog Almighty
523 Posts
Are we counting oil refineries and the like in this?

Here's Stanlow on the Wirral. At night it's a sight to behold from the M53/M56. When my mate was a nipper, his folks used to tell him it was New York!

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Incredible, ugly, beautiful, dreadful, wonderful... :yes:

Great pics, and yes, I think we can include oil refineries and the like - anything industrial and BIG!!

·
2,231 Posts
This is Inverkip Power station with its 213m Tower, third tallest in the UK. Although Mothballed it is used in case of another station breaks down.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,506 Posts
Ironbridge Power Station, I bet Liverpool wishes they could have something so tall in a WHS.

I'm yet to see a more attractive set of Cooling Towers, mmm sandstone red 🤤.

·
2,231 Posts
ooooh Ironbridge (Telford) is BIG

nice but strange colour. Never seen a cooling tower that colour never mind 4!

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,506 Posts
Is that sarcasm?

They are that colour cos when they were built the gorge had hadly any trees in it so it was supposed to match the colour of the ground. I have never seen any others that colour.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironbridge...I'm yet to see a more attractive set of Cooling Towers, mmm sandstone red :drool:.
I agree. But maybe they're too pretty for some of us concrete lovers. :dunno:

I have never seen any others that colour.
There are others that are red. Rugeley power station in Staffordshire has two grey ones and two red ones! :nuts:

·
2,231 Posts
Drove by this one on Sunday on the way to Berwick and again on the way back up. It's Torness Nuclear Power station

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It blends in with the sky! :yes:

Mr. B can you find any of the cooling towers that were demolished a few days ago near Dumfries? Either before they were demolished or during demolition!

1 - 20 of 126 Posts