SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A spin-off thread from the British Tower Blocks thread, for all pictures of power stations and cooling towers.

Mr. B started the conversation about cooling towers due to some being demolished near Dumfries.

So, here is a picture of the cooling towers at Ratcliffe on Soar in Nottinghamshire that stef17 so kindly told us about! :pepper:

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^

I could say something amusing about your reaction, but I won't. :shifty:

I think you're right about the cooling towers where Star City is now, but that's before my time. Here is another photo with them on, taken in 1968 and which is I presume is looking west from Castle Bromwich. Fort Dunlop is also seen on the right:

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,736 Posts
Ironbridge Power Station, I bet Liverpool wishes they could have something so tall in a WHS.

I'm yet to see a more attractive set of Cooling Towers, mmm sandstone red 🤤.

·
Fus-Ro-Dah!
12,736 Posts
Is that sarcasm?

They are that colour cos when they were built the gorge had hadly any trees in it so it was supposed to match the colour of the ground. I have never seen any others that colour.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ironbridge...I'm yet to see a more attractive set of Cooling Towers, mmm sandstone red :drool:.
I agree. But maybe they're too pretty for some of us concrete lovers. :dunno:

I have never seen any others that colour.
There are others that are red. Rugeley power station in Staffordshire has two grey ones and two red ones! :nuts:

·
Advance Kingstonia!
6,572 Posts
1 - 20 of 126 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.